User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
japako OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
compression suit and jersey??

Hello, I am in the market for a pressure suit and jerseys to wear over the suit.'
What pressure suit do you wear and why? Also what jersey and why?
Do you need to go up one size for the pressure suit?

I am going to buy the Klim Dakar and the Mojave pants, there on sale and should work good for the weather in Tejas.

Also what separate knee armor do you recommend?

I am looking on the Atomic site and some of their recommendations.

Thanks

japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
For the most cooling effect, you actually need 3 layers. Start with an long sleeve Underarmor or similar fabric shirt. It keeps the pressure suit off bare skin and wicks away sweat, keeping you cool. I wear a 661 pressure suit. I normally wear a size large, but needed the XL pressure suit. Then over the top of that I wear a jersey.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to wear long sleeves and 3 layers when it is hot, but with the right fabrics, it is very comfortable. My wife and I did a 3 month trip (see link in sig line) all over the southeast US including part of the TAT last summer and we only had 2 days that were under 100 degrees the entire time! The secret is to stay well hydrated. I was actually cooler in my riding gear than I was in a cotton tshirt and shorts because of the fabrics.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Bare Skin--no

As the a above poster said---------you do not want a pressure suit on your bare skin.

I too have a 661 Pressure suit------I have a Koerta also---but don't use it anymore as it's pretty bulky but extremely well made.

I put a KLIM long sleeve jersey under mine----and no matter how hot it is ---this is what I wear.

Like you -----I'm lovin' my KLIM Dakar and Mojaves too.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Elmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I wear a Nike Combat t-shirt under a Leatt Adventure pressure suit, with a Klim jersey. I cut the neck so that it will go over the brace.

Ducati 900SS / Yamaha YZ250F / KTM 450 XCW Six Days / KTM 950 Adventure / Polaris 500 EFI / Yamaha YZ 250F
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
japako OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks everyone, keep it coming.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,854
Tried any pressure suits on?
I can't wear 'em.... waaay uncomfortable. The 661 rig I had crept up my back, bunched up under my arms ... terrible. But it fit nice in teh store.

Started wearing my tekvest over a jersey, run it loose and it'l stay cool... works great and far more comfortable than any of the armor suits i've tried.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I wear fox titan
http://www.bikebandit.com/fox-titan-...FcWPPAodHDQAUg

Super comfortable. I dont own a jersey, but I wear it under my jacket, sweatshirt, or bare. (will buy a jersey so I dont wear it bare anymore).

Wearing the suit in all the pics.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
japako OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Tried any pressure suits on?
I can't wear 'em.... waaay uncomfortable. The 661 rig I had crept up my back, bunched up under my arms ... terrible. But it fit nice in teh store.

Started wearing my tekvest over a jersey, run it loose and it'l stay cool... works great and far more comfortable than any of the armor suits i've tried.

I've looked at the Klim tech vest, but I'm not sure and need to try one on.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
japako OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
I wear fox titan
http://www.bikebandit.com/fox-titan-...FcWPPAodHDQAUg

Super comfortable. I dont own a jersey, but I wear it under my jacket, sweatshirt, or bare. (will buy a jersey so I dont wear it bare anymore).

Wearing the suit in all the pics.
Thanks for the pics. It looks like it fits pretty good. What size are you wearing and what size chest??
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
What some of the others said regarding layers. For a base layer, a merino wool long sleeved shirt is best imo. They absorb moisture well, they don't smell (important on long trips), and have great heating/cooling properties.

For my pressure suit, I just purchased a Leatt. It's very comfortable and some of the best protection I have found (I use it both for Adventure riding and Off-road riding/racing) after trying 4 other brands.

Jerseys... you can get both mid sleeved and long sleeved ones. I don't wear em on the street, but there is no reason you cant. I'd just pick one you like since they don't protect you. Depending on the weather, you can get different weights though so you may want to pick up a few.

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
japako OP
Studly Adventurer

I went out and tried on some suits at Cyclegear and was not impressed. lol
The Fox Titan was too tight in the chest with adjusters out and the next size up was ok in the chest, but too loose in the sleeve.

The Alpinestars was not better and the Leat was ok, but too short in the chest and back.

So now I'm going to try something else. Atomic Moto suggested a rockgardn base jacket and a different chest and back protector.
I may go that route, but would like to try the Acerbis cosmos first.

The last one I want to try, is the Klim Techvest.

Thanks for all the help and if anyone has any advice on the above, please sing out..
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 216
tekvest

+1 on the tekvest. I wear mine over a longsleeve underarmour or merino wool shirt and dirtbike jersey. I have the offroad max tekvest with a gpx leatt brace and it fits perfect. the set up is cool if worn a little loose and the protection is in a class of it's own

milzispete screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 05:40 PM
milzispete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
japako OP
Studly Adventurer

Tekvest it is..??

Ok, after many weeks, actually more like months, I have settled on the Tekvest. I have looked at different types and have some questions on the different models.

First up is the Klim Tekvest, it is more money than some but looks like the back is longer?? Also has shoulder protection that looks really strong?

With the vest all I will need is separate elbow guards? I looked at the Forcefield elbow and knee armor. I'm a big fan of D30..

I have looked at sizing and it looks like I could use a medium. I am 5'11'' and about 184. Chest is 42.5, waist is 34 to 36, depending on the amount of beer.. Inseam is 30"

The reason I have landed on the vest, is because of the ab and rib protection. I could not find anything else out side of Fieldsheer that was as good. And with Fieldsheer I had to buy a separate part to achieve the same.

Anybody have anything further to add?????

Thanks for hanging in there...
Old 02-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Ok, after many weeks, actually more like months, I have settled on the Tekvest. I have looked at different types and have some questions on the different models.

First up is the Klim Tekvest, it is more money than some but looks like the back is longer?? Also has shoulder protection that looks really strong?

With the vest all I will need is separate elbow guards? I looked at the Forcefield elbow and knee armor. I'm a big fan of D30..

I have looked at sizing and it looks like I could use a medium. I am 5'11'' and about 184. Chest is 42.5, waist is 34 to 36, depending on the amount of beer.. Inseam is 30"

The reason I have landed on the vest, is because of the ab and rib protection. I could not find anything else out side of Fieldsheer that was as good. And with Fieldsheer I had to buy a separate part to achieve the same.

Anybody have anything further to add?????

Thanks for hanging in there...
the only thing I would add is that not all the tekvest models can be used with a neck brace so check with them before you buy. the venting also differs by model. they have their own website on www.tekrider.com. I purchased the offroad max as it was the best vented one they had that could be used with a leatt gpx
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,854
You'll need to factor in for the shoulder pads too - those are extra with the freestyle... permanently attached to the race vests, but those are too hot to wear in the summer.