Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Fork mounting bracket for HID projector?

I'm trying to figure out a SECURE way to mount this Hella 90mm projector to my forks.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...adlamp-module/

The last picture on that site actually has it on a Kawasaki KLX250 I believe. I'm wanting to mount it to that same bike and a KTM 690R.

Any idea how they did it? Do they sell mounting brackets? I'd love it if there was a know wheel to quickly lower/raise the beam for on the road riding - I often ride empty or with a big load AND a passenger and that really changes the alignment.

Here's some ugly pics of a Morimoto Mini DS2 HID Projector mounted in my KLX250. It's really too far out as you can see from the top pic making it more vulnerable and exacerbating vibrations. Up/down adjust-ability is really limited/slow.

Here you can see how the depth of the projector forced me to push the housing out about 2" from the original location.

FWIW looks aren't that important to me, I'm willing to spend $ to do it right, and I do care about shock absorption, and aiming it easily!

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 10:10 AM
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Hella does have some mounts on their site but I'm not feeling very creative as to how to attach these to the forks. Most guys I know with these lights mount them to fairings.

Here's the pic on Hella's site of a the light on a dual sport. I may be assuming to much when assume that because the dirt bike is crossing a river it must be up to the rigors of off road and watercrossings!

This is the light I'm considering. I'm hoping at 3X the cost it will be of much higher quality than the morimoto. I'm not expecting better light output as the morimoto is phenominal but it is as fragile as a daisy in the desert!

Finally a couple mounts from the Hella site that I think would get me started but not sure of the attachment points.

I'm assuming this red knob on the trail tech light serves the purpose of quickly raising/lowering the beam? If so, I'd love to incorporate something like this!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
theogenemills
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Any luck mounting the Hella module? Im looking at one for my 450SMR. Adjustability and vibration resistance is important to me as well.
theogenemills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,467
conduit clamps, they'll run ya about $.50 cents a piece. Harley sells the same exact thing, with their logo stamped on em, those are $100
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Why this light?

I'm just wondering why you are keen to fit this light as opposed to the more usual offerings from Baja Designs, Cyclops, Trail Tech etc, that seem easier to fit to a motorbike?

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
LED version

Have you seen the LED version:

http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/s...Premium_GB.pdf

Should be reliable in an off road situation? $700 though.....

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian V screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 08:04 PM
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
theogenemills
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
I'm just wondering why you are keen to fit this light as opposed to the more usual offerings from Baja Designs, Cyclops, Trail Tech etc, that seem easier to fit to a motorbike?

Cheers,

Adrian
I can answer that. It all has to do with light quality. In my opinion the projector headlight coupled with an HID bulb is one of the most efficient and affordable options. Having a quality projector with a good lens is key in getting big output from a relatively small package. I retrofitted two Hella Evo X projectors into my truck with 55w HIDs and now I'm spoiled, I cant stand to drive with conventional headlights! Hope this helps, here is my retrofit.

theogenemills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
conduit clamps, they'll run ya about $.50 cents a piece. Harley sells the same exact thing, with their logo stamped on em, those are $100
such as what?
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oops I missed all these responses! My wife must've looked at them on my account Thanks for the input!

FWIW the morimoto is totally dead now. It had an amazing beam projection/shape but with piss poor quality.

1st the hi/lo flap went out right in the beginning, then all the connectors failed, finally after a rough 3 weeks the ballast went out. Great lighting for 2 hours though! :)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:

Cheers,

Adrian
Excellent question Adrian that should be answered!

Baja Designs, trail tech etc makes lights with lots of lumen output but absolutely no thought put into the reflector shape/design. They are often no better than a can housing lighting. People buy them because of marketing, not quality.

Designing good lighting that helps you see better (NOT impresses you with how bright it is, blinds other etc) is extremely expensive and complicated. Some of the main things to know in lighting are:

Lux or candlepower measure intensity
lumens measures the total amount of light.
CRI measures how well a light source differentiates between colors and shows colors on a scale of 1 to 100. The sun and Halogens are 100. As LED's push to get more lumens per watt the CRI has been falling to the 60's and even upper 50's. Not so bad on good roads but horrible off road... if for instance in the baja 1000 at night there are slight color shade differences in the sand showing an experienced rider there may be a rock just under the surface that will be hidden/blurred with LED. On a bad road with huge potholes such as I'm riding now those show up as different shades of grey greatly blurred by low CRI.
Kelvin temp measures the color of the light. Many uninformed people think that lower K means higher CRI. There's no relation other than Halogen has lower K and higher CRI. It'd be better to have both - they are wimpy LED emitters, but the Nichia 219 is a cool break thru with over 90 CRI and 5,500K.

Most expensive and important to lighting is reflector/projector shape. Are best hope in the lighting world is probably to steal car designs. The Acura FX projector/HID is a great combo.

Next most important is intensity.

Recently there have been amazing breakthru's in lumens per watt in the LED world. That's not so important but it is definitely the #1 thing being marketed now. (However despite being misleading it's downright false to say such and such LED is X times brighter than stock; brighter is intensity not lumens.)

If a light is to be legal on the road it gets really complicated as you can't blind oncoming drivers. Your own LED's often blind you as well; the role of the human eye is uber important. For instance you are going to SEE far better with 900 well placed, designed lumens and larger pupils than you are with 8,000 lumens and constricted pupils cuz you bounced your light off a reflective sign.

Check out this quote from Baja Designs on the squadron light:

Quote:
Squadron motorcycle light is the next generation of LED lighting. The Squadron is designed specifically for aggressive night-time riding by combining amazing distance projection, wide peripheral spread and a smooth light pattern. This light utilizes four CREE XML LEDs - the brightest, most efficient LEDs on the market to give you a blinding 3600 lumens.
It uses the T6 bin XM'L's - they are not the brightest and they never were. A long time ago at a certain amperage they were one of the most effiecient but we are way beyond that now.
When they say "brightest" they probably mean the most lumens which they aren't or never were that either. There's no real thought or design going into those "reflectors" - they look like flashlight reflectors.
Don't get me wrong - with the horrible stock KTM 690 light I've used my flashlight in a jam but it's not ideal. Those lights are impressive to show off how bright they are but not even in the same league with the HID projector I was using above as far as helping you see off road and on road.

The problem is, the baja designs light is (I'm guessing) much more durable and that good quality light is coming out of a piss poor made light.

I think what is happening is the Chinese cloned the projector shape from the Audi FX (amazing light) and made one in there typical quality!
(Boss: How can we save money on our lights? New employee trying to to butter him up: I know! I know! We can change all the 22 gauge wiring to 30 gauge wiring and in a billion lights save $10 of copper!)

I'd love to see a quality, durable 50 watt, Hi CRI, TRI-Xenon projector for dual sports. Tri as in low, high and off road settings. Personally I'd pay $1000 if it was good....
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Have you seen the LED version:

http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/s...Premium_GB.pdf

Should be reliable in an off road situation? $700 though.....

Cheers,
Adrian
I missed that one! It looks good but would still leave the same problem of mounting...

It doesn't say what LED's they are using. It does say 3 LED's and 35 watts which would lead me to guess 3 XML- T6. (Which could probably be upgraded to XML2 U3's for a 30% bump in efficiency and/or brightness.
I can only hope that Hella did their homework in matching the LED's to the projector and didn't use a HID one.

It could be a good thing... who wants to buy one and do a review?