Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
There you go
cheers onto ebay now
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #4442
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
an XC from US to South America?

Does anyone know any Ride Reports for a XC going from US to south America or vice versa?

I recently purchased a stock '07 XC with 1,300 miles on it. Thinking about doing some mods and taking it from California down to Ushuaia in the fall. Thanks for great resource you've all created!
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4443
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
the was 2 US registerd XC for sale in south america on horizons unlimited . maybe try sending those guys a PM
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #4444
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Bike arrived (finally)

My X-Challenge finally arrived on Tuesday, and special thanks to Marc (Butters) for doing a delivery inspection while I was out of town for work. Unfortunately, the re-sprung Ohlins appears to be way too tall for me (36" unburdened seat height), even though the dealership supposedly set it up for my measurements and weight (30" inseam, 135 lbs). I'll try to ride it again tomorrow and see if I'll be able to get it to Morton's BMW without using a trailer or recruiting a taller rider. They're going to consider some lowering options for me, as well as installing my Touratech steel subframe/pannier racks and GPS mount/cradle/wiring.

Michael
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #4445
salvey
Inventurer

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
Does anyone know any Ride Reports for a XC going from US to south America or vice versa?

I recently purchased a stock '07 XC with 1,300 miles on it. Thinking about doing some mods and taking it from California down to Ushuaia in the fall. Thanks for great resource you've all created!

I ride a G650X in Baja and did the CDT last summer; great ride! Just finished a 5 week trip in Peru; rented a 660 Tenere, but wish I had my G650X! Maybe later this year...

Two Norwegians bought two G650X in the US in Sept 2012 and then rode as far as La Paz, Bolivia I believe. Their bikes performed perfectly. They did not do a ride report on ADV, but had a blog of some kind. I'll see if I can find it.

Look at Walter Colebatch's "mods" thread to see how carried away you can get! After many different bikes, the G650X is the most versatile, reliable adventure bike available as far as I am concerned. I can't believe that BMW would choose to market the Sertao and now the new Husky 650 instead of just starting production of the G650X again. I guess no one in the marketing department actually rides these motorcycles...

Ride safe!
salvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #4446
oothef
Grownup

Oddometer: 32
Sorry BHY wheels are in again, for the moment, they'll be out again in a day or two, I'll measure up when they are.
oothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #4447
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
distance between water hose and header pipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
2 or 3cm. Check this distance often, as the pipe will move down by itself when you ride.
Wow if that is true then that is very interesting to me. On my XCountry it has never been more than 1 cm and that was after I loosened the 2 nuts at the head and rotate the header a bit to gain clearance. Here is a picture of mine when I first got it and it still had the stock BMW muffler at the end. This ink pen is 0.8cm thick:

As far as the Leo Vince, (again on the XCountry) I don't see how the muffler itself is that relevant as to the distance between the water hose and the header pipe.

The LV can be mounted as high as needed in order to align with the header pipe. Maybe the XChallenge is different but the issue with the LV is that the mounting setup can rotate and force the header pipe down. There are several ways to mount it to avoid this that people have come up with, but for off roading it is very important to do so! I have the small BMW tail rack on and this is what I did:

Have you read the G650X Exhaust thread?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #4448
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
1 - Any ideas on best gear shift lever?
One this is for sure, you MUST replace the cast aluminum one or a fall that impacts it can shear off your shift shaft. It is a major weak link in the design and replacing it with a BENDY steel lever should be your FIRST mod!

People have different opinions, I tried several of them and for me the Touratech one was the only one I liked on my XCountry. I collected this info on my Gear Shift Lever Web Page, hope it helps!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #4449
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
My X-Challenge finally arrived on Tuesday, and special thanks to Marc (Butters) for doing a delivery inspection while I was out of town for work. Unfortunately, the re-sprung Ohlins appears to be way too tall for me (36" unburdened seat height), even though the dealership supposedly set it up for my measurements and weight (30" inseam, 135 lbs). I'll try to ride it again tomorrow and see if I'll be able to get it to Morton's BMW without using a trailer or recruiting a taller rider. They're going to consider some lowering options for me, as well as installing my Touratech steel subframe/pannier racks and GPS mount/cradle/wiring.

Michael
I managed to ride it around today without falling or dropping it. I need to lower it about 2 or 3 inches somehow.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #4450
DrWatson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
TT tank

i didnt do it the TT way and dont recomend it either.

I ran both lobes into a T piece that sits just over the oil filter housing area and then ran that line through a size converter and into the original tank air intake. I also didnt use the TT tank filler cap bit of vent hose supplied, instead put a standard $5 universal bike shop stubby breather on it with the vent end cap incorporated.

Also, put quick release connectors on the front tank lines for ease of tank removal.

I found the front tank drains almost entirely, leaving maybe 100ml fuel in it. The front tank will not fully drain, then the rear, instead they drain together with a significant bias to the front, so all good.

If you drop the bike and put a hole in the front lobe, you dont loose all your fuel. just turn that lobe off and save most. You can also deliberately turn a lobe off and save that fuel as a reserve if need be.
DrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #4451
dajg
dajg

Oddometer: 65
bike won't start...

as the title suggests...

went for a ride in the surf yesterday morning, then hosed the bike off with fresh water and let it sit in the sun to dry overnight - i didn't try start it again straight after i washed it. oops.

today... she doesn't want to play.

ignition was definately off although i left the key in it. there are no after-market (e.g. heated grip) accessories.

i switched the ignition to "on" and the LED voltmeter read 12.2. the starter turned but wouldn't kick over.

gave it three runs down a decent hill to try clutch-start and got the voltmeter to read 12.4v for a moment but she still wouldn't go. also hooked up the home-made jumper cables (anderson plug mounted on the steering column for ease of access...) to an un-installed quad bike battery but this resulted in the on-board voltmeter dropping to 11.8v.

the battery was installed 22/10/12 - new shorai lithium, 14AH. connections were tight & clean.

i pulled the touratech tank off and put my multimeter on the battery and it reads 13.6v so it seems the battery is fine.

i tried starting with the kick-stand both up and down, with it in neutral the whole time. i sprayed the shit out of the switch with WD40 also. so i don't think it is the side-stand-switch problem.

the fact that it turns over but won't kick even though the battery seems fine almost feels like the kill switch is engaged, although i obviously checked it. is it possible there is water in the switch and this is preventing it starting?

i pulled all the fuses and checked these & they are fine. headlight comes on as per usual, and the dash-computer does its usual routine.

sitting writing this, i can't recall hearing the fuel pump spool up, so i might have a quick look at this... also i haven't plugged in the GS911 which is also on the cards for the afternoon.

thanks in advance.
dave
dajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #4452
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajg View Post
as the title suggests...

went for a ride in the surf yesterday morning, then hosed the bike off with fresh water and let it sit in the sun to dry overnight - i didn't try start it again straight after i washed it. oops.

today... she doesn't want to play.

ignition was definately off although i left the key in it. there are no after-market (e.g. heated grip) accessories.

i switched the ignition to "on" and the LED voltmeter read 12.2. the starter turned but wouldn't kick over.

gave it three runs down a decent hill to try clutch-start and got the voltmeter to read 12.4v for a moment but she still wouldn't go. also hooked up the home-made jumper cables (anderson plug mounted on the steering column for ease of access...) to an un-installed quad bike battery but this resulted in the on-board voltmeter dropping to 11.8v.

the battery was installed 22/10/12 - new shorai lithium, 14AH. connections were tight & clean.

i pulled the touratech tank off and put my multimeter on the battery and it reads 13.6v so it seems the battery is fine.

i tried starting with the kick-stand both up and down, with it in neutral the whole time. i sprayed the shit out of the switch with WD40 also. so i don't think it is the side-stand-switch problem.

the fact that it turns over but won't kick even though the battery seems fine almost feels like the kill switch is engaged, although i obviously checked it. is it possible there is water in the switch and this is preventing it starting?

i pulled all the fuses and checked these & they are fine. headlight comes on as per usual, and the dash-computer does its usual routine.

sitting writing this, i can't recall hearing the fuel pump spool up, so i might have a quick look at this... also i haven't plugged in the GS911 which is also on the cards for the afternoon.

thanks in advance.
dave
Why would you run your bike through salt water?

Check the battery connections to the starter and the ground for being tight AND being corroded. Try starting it.

Yes, you may have corroded the internal contacts for the ignition switch, kill switch, and the sidestand switch.
Try running a jumper that bypasses each switch individually. Try starting it. It may also be a combination of multiple switches.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #4453
dajg
dajg

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Why would you run your bike through salt water?
because i'm on the northern end of the doodsakker in angola, and the tide comes to the base of the dunes... and i was riding along the base of said dunes...

thanks for the suggestions i will pull it apart and have a look.
dajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #4454
salvey
Inventurer

Oddometer: 7
Then use Boeshield!

I'm an Electrical Engineer and have designed and made marine electronic equipment. I have used a product called "Boeshield T-9", manufactured by Boeing Corporation as an aircraft maintenance product. It's a moisture displacement fluid, that solidifies to a wax coating that protects any kind of metal from corrossion, including electrical connectors.

When I am doing routine maintenance on my bikes, I take apart every electrical connector/connection I can get at, squirt them with Boeshield and then put them back together. In my experience, you never take them apart again and it will protect the smallest connectors from corrossion - even in highly corrosive environments.

You can buy Boeshield T-9 at Marine wholesalers and retailers ( www.westmarine.com ). Not sure if there's one in Angola yet...but you can order on-line: product 259408.
salvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #4455
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvey View Post
You can buy Boeshield T-9 at Marine wholesalers and retailers ( www.westmarine.com ). Not sure if there's one in Angola yet...but you can order on-line: product 259408.
I am going to order some of this stuff. I use dielectric grease on everything but this seems better for something that I dont plan to disconnect regularly.
Do you reccommend the "drip bottle" or the aresol spray?
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote