User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705
Okay....

......next question....since I wasn't smart enough to take a shot of the various relays and how they fit before I tore out the whole wire harness.......does anybody have a photo or link to a diagram? I put them back and the top of the outer relay is just about touching the tank!

We are "enjoying" a day of blizzard conditions with no power, no cable and only 3G web access.... (What on earth did we used to do....!!!! Bought a generator the other day, so at least we can have some warmth, but the gas supply is limited, so we run only as necessary....

Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,037
don't know that this will help, but it's handy

I was chasing a short...

Renner screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 12:31 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Perfect! I was trying to fit 3 relays onto the space where there are 2.... The other goes directly behind the vr it seems...

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
bpeckm OP
Grin!

...so now the NEXT question....

In my haste (excitement?) to strip the bike of it's wiring harness, I didn't take pitchers of how the harness goes around? through? under? the headstock.... anybody have a pic they can steer me to?

I do remember that the harness was low, since the front turn signal wires come out of the harness and disappear down those little tubes... but I cannot figger if the whole harness comes UNDER the frame/headstock junction!

Putting things back together.... new starter wires, all terminals cleaned, re-greased headstock bearings, etc etc etc

Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
bpeckm OP
Grin!

hmmm.... just went through thread again and found this... is this the pretty-much-standard way to go around the headstock?

That big wire hanging straight down is probably the main harness, the rest are control bits methinks....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Renner
infamous wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
That big wire hanging straight down is probably the main harness, the rest are control bits methinks....
I'm with you. #1 guess.

RE: taken after chasing a short in the main bundle. I'd re-wrapped with SR tape
(aka self-fusing silicon tape, I recommend it, we use it at the shop on turbine engine harnesses).
Hence the wrap.

Fresh pics. now with GS forks.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Thanks...it makes sense, given the length of the bundle after putting in the various connectors in the frame jig....

Got the headlight holder-thingy painted tonight, I am going to put in the "big" headlight from the '70s airheads...

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Renner
infamous wrench

Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
bpeckm OP
Grin!

OK, since we are batting 1.000.... next question:

Does a "normal airhead" tool tray fit in the regular tool box location? I always used mine on my /6, and I don't have one on this bike and figure I can easily find a "regular" tool tray, and modify it to hang it in place, and ain't nevah going to find one of these:'

It looks to be short.... or perhaps a MONOLEVER tray?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Renner
infamous wrench

ST & G/S specific, innit.

have you asked these guys? http://www.re-psycle.com/

couldn't hurt.

personally I'd fab a one-off out of a milk carton, glue it in place with expanding foam and carve off the flash with the GF's electric knife... good to go.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,293
I've got some pics from when I was tearing down my wife's R80ST showing how some of the wires were routed;

There's some relay locations and other stuff there too.

More pics here; R80ST
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Thanks, Norton73.... I think I remember an old post/thread about the accident that I see in your pics? There are some good ones in there showing the routing of some wires around the headstock that I should be able to use... I appreciate it!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
bpeckm OP
Grin!

I'm getting the wires all run and put back together, putting the grips and perches on a non-22mm bar (grrrrr....) and in putting the ignition switch back... I have an extra, un-identified wire

It is in the bundle that goes to the back of the ignition switch. It would logically go on the one spade terminal that is left over, in the center (which is normally the hot/red so that one could "tap into" the hot circuit there).... but this wire is Green with a Purple tracer

It's got me stumped... can't find it on any wiring diagram, and I lost the filmstrip of the dis-assembly in my photographic memory

Guess I''m going to have to do some tracing and continuity-work, unless someone has a bright idea....???

Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Renner
infamous wrench

Joe "Cuda's" Tech-Tips article on Wiring Color Codes at the ABC site indicates green w/ violet may be the "trigger for headlight relay".

beyond that, I've got nothing
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
bpeckm OP
Grin!

That would make sense... I think. I will try to scope it out. The color combo is a new one to me!