User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
ACAP650, and others,

At 5 foot 11 inches with a 31 inch inseam, I am not exactly the tallest guy around. But, I can understand your issue, and I know that people will load their bikes up what ever way they want. That is their prerogative. In all the years I have been riding, it always amazes me as to how much stuff people carry with them and how they load it.

Myself, I have always followed some simple rules when I look at bikes that I may want to purchase. The first is to sit on the bike and ensure that it is comfortable for me. The second is that if I cannot flat foot on both sides while sitting comfortably on the bike, then it is too high. I will look into lowering it. If that does not work, or is too costly, then I just don't buy it. If you are teetering on your toes when the bike is unladen, then putting a bunch of stuff on it is just going to make it more unstable. It comes down to a safety issue to me. I don't want to be riding a bike with a lot of weight added that alters the center of gravity and get stuck in traffic doing the side to side toe tap shuffle.

When I load up for a long distance ride, I pack what I need in the 2 saddle bags, a tank bag, and maybe strap a very compact sleeping bag on the passenger seat, as far back as I can. This allows me to swing my leg over without any hindrances. 90% of the time I only take what fits in the bags. I have traveled that way for up to 3 months with no need for anything more. I am a minimalist when it comes to packing.

As to deploying the side stand while on the bike, there are lots of people that do that. Some have added a little stub to the stock stand and it works for them. I was taught to deploy any stand once I got off the bike. This gives me a chance to check the ground and ensure a solid stance. I have done that on every bike I have owned for the past 40+ years of riding. It is just a habit to me. I can deploy the stock stand while on the bike, by pushing it down til it touches the ground, then rolling the bike back a wee bit till it is fully deployed. But it just does not feel right for me to do it that way.

So, what I am saying is do what works for you, but don't give the stock equipment a bad name just because it does not work the way you want it to. That is like bad mouthing all airheads because they don't perform like a modern crotch-rocket. Sorry, they were not designed to do that.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Will Browns and Surefoot etc, scrape more easily when leaned over in a curve, than the oe side stand?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
ML WYDELL OP
NED

Oddometer: 417
Thanks for the input, the browns looks like the easiest to get. Just modify the bottom of the stand with a plate for soft ground.
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #19
Minsa
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ah great timing on this one, I was going to ask where do I go to get a new side stand. Very helpful :)

I need to change the kickstand on my r65. It's bent where it joins to the bracket on the frame, this has given the bike a rather bad lean so seems to just keep dropping. The stand also has a small crack near where it joins onto the bracket of the bike. I really don't like praying to the bike gods every time I use the stand. Good news is that because of the lean, its not that far from the ground so less damage if the stand does break. :P

So i'll give Brown's or Surefoot a go.
Minsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Minsa,
Why not take the stock stand to a good welder and have them weld the crack and use some heat to bend it back into shape. Bet it will cost you a whole lot less than replacing it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
The surefoot side stands can be deployed from the bike and are very capable of taking the weight of the bike and rider.

Being short of leg and getting more ancient, with a fully loaded bike I find it increasingly difficult to get on and off without using the stand.

If I was going on a trackday, I might remove the Surefoot, but scraping it to date has just modified the stand a bit without really upsetting the rider.

I went to test ride a Modern GS a few years back, to my great embarrassment the guy in the shop had to show me how to get on it, which was to use the side stand and the footpeg. Easy enough to ride once I was on it.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,801
Here's mine.

Good stand, but the centre stand has to be dropped to the ground before it being deployed and again when retracting. Not a big deal once the sequence is remembered.

Also, I am a bit long in the leg and also have a dud knee, so have to have a relaxed hip/knee angle. The mounting location of the stand precludes lowering of the foot pegs which help my situation.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:53 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Minsa
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Minsa,
Why not take the stock stand to a good welder and have them weld the crack and use some heat to bend it back into shape. Bet it will cost you a whole lot less than replacing it.
Hi DaveBall,

I would do this in any normal circumstance but given my location I do not always have the luxury. There is a considerable lack in this area for quality and good work. Welding is generally done by local farm industries that don't have time for small jobs and it is not cheap if they do.

I could send it off to be done, but that would incur more costs.

I will certainly look at the price of a new one vs welding it up and straightening.

I am looking into doing a course myself, so I can do it.

Cheers
Minsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Minsa,
Maybe get to know your local high school shop teacher. Sometimes they will take on a little project like that for a minimal cost (usually just materials) so that they can show the class how to weld certain materials.

Our local high school takes on all kinds of projects so that they can teach the kids. Every year the auto shop will rebuild a few cars, doing everything from complete engine rebuilds to body work and paint. They usually have a long line of donor cars to be fixed and sold or raffled off with the proceeds going to pay for shop equipment and materials and some also goes to the graduation class for their grad party. They also take on some cars from regular citizens.

The metal shop does a lot of decorative work for the parks board and the wood working shop makes planters and lots of other stuff. Both take on special projects.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #25
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,369
Ah... Vancouver Island.... a great place to be self-sufficient

Had the pleasure of visiting this past fall, got over to the ocean side in time for some stormy fall weather, and then on to Victoria for some fine brew-pub testing... I'd go back in a heartbeat.... youse guys have it all figgered out!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
ACAP650, and others,

So, what I am saying is do what works for you, but don't give the stock equipment a bad name just because it does not work the way you want it to. That is like bad mouthing all airheads because they don't perform like a modern crotch-rocket. Sorry, they were not designed to do that.
But they should have been designed to park on a sidestand that is usable to most riders and the stock stand is clearly not. And I did do something about it - my ST is sitting comfortably on its Flying Teapot stand and the stock crashbars and stand are hanging on my garage wall for the next owner if he/she has the legs for it.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

acap650,
And I suppose your bike performs like a Yamaha R1 as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 401
Been owning bikes since 1972 and my airhead is the only one ever to fall over while on the side stand.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
Carl

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
Anyone out there have experinece with the Surefoot sidestands? I like Teapots stand but only goes on G/S models. The Browns looks to be a bit short.

Any suggestions? Thanks
I've made custom sidestands for all BMW Twins 1955-1995. The only designs at this time that I have in production, and being stocked, are monolever G/S-ST and paralever GS-GSPD. The other models most probably will be brought back into production in the near future.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Carl

Oddometer: 742
Based on:
  • Owning and riding BMW Airhead Twins for a decent amount of years and many 100K of miles.
  • Using the various factory design sidestands.
  • Using the various aftermarket sidestands, both my own creations and from other's designs.
  • Making many aftermarket design sidestands.
  • Corresponding w/ a LOT of other riders on this subject.
Some of my observations are:
  • There are many BMW riders that just do not like the factory sidestands.
  • There are many BMW riders satisfied w/ their aftermarket sidestands.
  • I generally am not impressed or like the factory designed sidestands.
  • There are BMW riders (owners) that just refuse to dislike and/or prefer to defend the stock design to no end.
  • There are BMW riders that have never really given any thought to the design of the stock sidestand.
  • There are a lot of BMW riders whom at one time or another had their bike get dumped as a result of the stock sidestand (or operator error )
  • There are BMW riders that want to use an aftermarket sidestand design to eliminate in their mind an issue of short inseam, long inseam, troublesome joints (ankle, knee, hip), loss of limb, etc.

Also, using local 'talent' to machine and weld an item for your bike seems all so user-friendly. The key is you most probably don't want them to learn how to produce a proper weld on a product for your machine.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote