Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #121
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Gw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Is the TU frame larger and roomier?

Hello Jon, I saw the GW at the Cleveland ,OH Motorcycle Show this past week end [1/26/13] . The GW appeared a little larger than my GZ [IMHO] I liked the seat and seating position ,for me [5, 91/2 29 inseam ] it was comfortable. My GZ does feel a little cramped but I didn't notice that on the GW. The bike had a nice instrument panel [tach,gear indicator,ditigital speedo,etc] mag type wheels and disk brakes on both ends. Would really liked to have an opportunity to test ride it. It appears black is the only color this year and the price was not avaliable as yet. It had dual exhausts and looked like a larger motorcycle than it is. Overall it had a great appearance. I would love to have the Instruments,disk brakes, and wheels on my GZ, wonder if they would fit? CMS [Terry]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #122
wabbit45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Speculation is futile...

Looks like a Gladius 250 to me.

That being said, I didn't think that the Gladius 650, now the SFV650 (gone are the SV650's), is a bad looking bike.

I did think that the Gladius was a bit cramped in the legs for me (6'2", 36" inseam), but I did like the ergos of the reach and forward lean. The bike also felt well-balanced.

Why mention the Gladius? I think it is a 250 version... a HEAVY version. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Lots of people on here calling the GW250 a porker. Well, they said that about my 2006 Honda Interceptor. That was the most fun on two wheels I've had to date. That heaviness turns your bike into something WELL PLANTED during high speed corners. The weight gets pushed into the track/road and gives you this wonderful feeling that you are joined with the road through your bike. You feel PLANTED (did I say that already?!) This gives you confidence and BALLS to push the bike further to find its limits.

I believe that the limits on the Kaw and Honda suspension will be reached faster than that of the Zuki. Translation? - When you're slowing down on bumpy turns cause you're afraid you'll kill yourself on your Kaw or Honda because the front and rear are all over the place, the guy on the GW is going to brake later, be right on your ass going in and pass you on the way out. You may take him on a straight, but he'll be playing with you ALL DAY on the corners because he has the weight keeping him on the road... sound familiar?

I was always pushing my Interceptor and I was always SMILING (sometimes crappping myself and swearing I'll never do THAT again!).

I believe that this GW250 is going to be pretty stiffly sprung as far as a 250 goes. I'll bet the ride is smoother because of it's weight than either the Honda or the Kaw. That means to me that highway rides will be more pleasant, less buzzy, less harsh on expansion joints, than the Kaw or Honda. Am I starting to get through to you that weight is not really a bad thing? It's how you throw it around that counts!

As far as the power to weight sucking ass??? - Since when did that EVER stop any of us from taking a stock bike we like and making it into a pimped out bike we LOVE? Single race exhaust, power commander, change the rear and front sprockets, chain, bore and stroke it, chip it, etc... YOU GET WHAT I'M SAYING YET?

At 180lbs. I'd start off riding the GW with the rear sprung at 5 out of 7 and see what she does. Dump the fork oil, get heavier oil and a progressive set of fork springs.

You want to take off weight? Get rid of the heavy dual exhausts all the way up to the heads. Personally, I like dual exhaust. I think they add balance to a bike.

I wouldn't mind this new GW250 at all. I think it'll prove more fun than the Honda or Kaw, and easier to work on to boot. I think this is going to be a surprisingly flickable grunt machine with a soft side - to your butt - that the others don't have.

My last Suzuki was a 2005 Suzuki 650 V-Strom. I think this GW250 will have the same lazy, fun feel to it.

I'm looking for something to piss off the cagers with in the city. This seems like the ticket to me! My current ride does plenty of cager rage - Fully bagged, heated grips, tricked out 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 with a full Akropovic race dual exhaust.

wabbit45 screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 01:48 PM
wabbit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #123
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,618
Well, I'm probably out of this one too. Suzuki should have had it in dealerships already. But as soon as I saw the new Honda CTX, I knew that was the bike for me. It will replace my aging cruiser, and I won't need to buy a maxi scooter.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #124
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
EDIT: the post I was commenting on is now completely different, so my comment is no longer valid.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125

jas67 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 05:38 PM
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #125
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
He wrote GW250 20 times in his post. I think he meant it. ?
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #126
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Just posted Ride Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDCwB3Q9ETo

I warn you though, a local dealer loans these to this guy so he is only ever mildly negative. So there is potetential for this to be a puff piece. I'm still not a fan but figured you guys actually interested in this Zuki might like it.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #127
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Watched the whole thing. Insofar as one can tell from watching a video, bike seemed very composed, even on the freeway. Unless I missed it, he said nothing about the brakes or suspension.

I like his reviews though he seems to be an "accentuate the positive" sort of guy, whereas I'd rather get a more balanced critique.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #128
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,618
If you want one, now would probably be a good time to buy. My local dealer has them at $3499, he has two, and has yet to sell one. He does not expect a next years model, as these bikes just don't sell for some reason. I think it is a great little bike from just sitting on it. It does not feel too heavy, and is MUCH more comfortable than a Ninja or CBR. It does feel bigger than many 250s, but not too heavy for it's size. My RE Bullet 500 weighs 415 pounds, and has less power. The GW250 would kill it in acceleration because of it's high revving short stroke motor with a light flywheel.

http://www.apachemotorcycles.com/new...ModelYear=2013
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #129
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
I have had the GW250 for about 6 weeks now and unfortunately seat time has been limited because of weather and breaking in other bikes. However so far with the limited time I have spent with the GW250 I am really liking it.

Despite its weight power is very useful and linear with a pretty good amount of low end torque for a 250. It will go down the road just fine and even has a sweat spot in the upper revs where it really feels downright zippy. In my opinion it runs more like a weak 500cc bike then a overweight 250cc bike. Believe it or not in civilized riding it seems to be more capable then my Ninja 500 I used to have. Now of coarse spool the 500 up and its game over but in normal every day riding it would be hard to tell them apart.

Handling is not half bad either. Because its not a big heavy bike its easy to toss around and the suspension is not as sloppy as many Suzuki's from just a few years ago. Its not perfect and the IRC Road Winner tires never seem to warm up but its not half bad for its price point and class. Its not really a sport bike and it admits that on the road. However its no slouching standard either.

Fit and finish is actually pretty good. All the pieces fit well and after you get over the radical styling its not a half bad looking bike. I get more attention on the GW250 then any other bike I own. Actually had a few comments from fellow riders who heard about it and thought it was a pile of trash but after seeing mine they were impressed.

One thing I really like about this bike is its size. It may only be a 250 but its intended for full size adult riders and as a result its a very comfortable fit. The stock seat is very adequate for the most part. After spending 2 hours on the bike I felt it could have used a bit more padding but it was not as bad as many supposedly much more comfortable and expensive bikes.

Fuel economy on my dealer fill witch may not even been totally full was 68 MPG witch is about average for this class. I hope to squeeze 70 MPG after breaking in but sometimes you just never get that bit extra. Still 68 MPG is very good and it is a parallel twin so I doubt it will hit the numbers a single could.

Overall I think its a very good and underrated bike. I think it brings a lot to the table and certainly capable of finding its own market share. However its such a small market and I don't think Suzuki put a lot of weight behind it. I think people got the wrong idea about the "Made in China" thing and just assumed it was going to be a lump of trash..its not! Specs also hurt it I think. Its heavy and a bit under powered according to the specs but seldom specs tell the real story. It really is a nice gem on the road. Now I am sure the Ninja 300 will eat its lunch and the CBR250 would probably inch slightly ahead but its not that slow in the real world. I bet if you were doing some sort of Iron Butt race the GW250 would take gold by a large margin. Different strokes for different folks!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #130
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
I think it will bomb.
It does not look like an old Triumph, or a new Harley, or a road race bike, so no one will like it.

The low price is the only thing going for it.

People have the choice of the ninja 250/300 and the cbr250 and maybe 300, the TU250, and for more money, the sr400 and new Harley 500.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #131
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think it will bomb.
It does not look like an old Triumph, or a new Harley, or a road race bike, so no one will like it.

The low price is the only thing going for it.

People have the choice of the ninja 250/300 and the cbr250 and maybe 300, the TU250, and for more money, the sr400 and new Harley 500.
The GW250 here costs almost as much as a Duke 390, and VERY close
to the Yamaha MT07.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #132
Soulbreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
~~
Just watched that Youtube video. The exhaust sounded pretty good for a 250 from what you can hear of it in the video. Kinda grunty.

If this had been available when I bought my first bike last year, I might have gone for this instead of the CBR250. Seems like it took forever for this to start being available here in the US.
~~
Soulbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #133
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
~~
Just watched that Youtube video. The exhaust sounded pretty good for a 250 from what you can hear of it in the video. Kinda grunty.

If this had been available when I bought my first bike last year, I might have gone for this instead of the CBR250. Seems like it took forever for this to start being available here in the US.
~~
I'd take the GW just based on the size alone, it's a rather big bike for a 250.
I just wish it had none of that B-King styling stuff, but a regural round headlight
like YBR250 and CBF250.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #134
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That's really an amazing new bike value.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #135
6speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I agree with NJ-B but it sure is a shame. The kids want the fastest, koolist looking plastic and the boomers want the nostalgia. Standard size bikes are great do it all m/c.

Personally, if I could still shift, it would be in the garage/storage shed. A large enough tank, FI, water cooled twin, naked with enough weight to to feel planted in the wind, oh ya. I used to borrow my neighbors honda standard twin years ago and it was a kick. Did I forget to mention that i'm fond of 6 speeds.

6speed screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 10:57 PM
6speed is offline   Reply With Quote