Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #121
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
One of the many Baja threads I perused had mention of a place to store a vehicle/trailer near Tecate...

El Cajon???

Can't remember which thread. In the event it is pissing down rain on the day of our departure we're gonna trailer down (not my 1st choice) and shoot through the border on the bikes. Anyone got info on a good/safe place to park a truck/ trailer somewhere near the border in the event we end up doing this??

Thanks!

Plenty of places to park your vehicle located just this side of the Tecate border crossing. About $5-10 per day. Never had a problem...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #122
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,942
Anybody know a way (internet or place) to get the tourist card done before the border?

Not critical, just want to smooth the time needed at the border.

T-minus 4 wks...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #123
rnrdozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Anybody know a way (internet or place) to get the tourist card done before the border?

T-minus 4 wks...
We just went through there 2 weeks ago, I never could find anywhere you can get the tourist permit on line but its much smoother now at the border. after you drive through park your bike on the right, having one guy watch over your stuff. walk in and show your passport, now you can pay at the same building, although its outside. but no more walking down to the bank. pay your $20 then back in to finalize the permit. doesnt take long. On another note we parked at diamond Jacks RV park in Jamul which is really close to Tecate. we camped there then rode through the border in the morning. Teri is the owner and her parking rates are $1.50 a day, I gave her more just because they were so nice!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #124
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Thanks Dozer!! Great to know regarding both!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #125
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:

T-minus 4 wks...

This place:

http://www.discoverbaja.com/

Is the only place authorized by the Mexican government to do it.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #126
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,675
Wow $39 to join and another $39 for the visa.

The site says: "Save valuable time and frustration by purchasing your Mexican Tourist Visa at the DISCOVER BAJA office, rather than at the border". NOTE that they specifically say "at the Discover Baja office". Does that mean you have to go to their office to pick it up??

Sorry, I'll more simply (and cheaply) stop at the border and get it from the Mexicans.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #127
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

The site says: "Save valuable time and frustration by purchasing your Mexican Tourist Visa at the DISCOVER BAJA office, rather than at the border". NOTE that they specifically say "at the Discover Baja office". Does that mean you have to go to their office to pick it up??

Sorry, I'll more simply (and cheaply) stop at the border and get it from the Mexicans.
They will do it by mail. For some the border is fine, for other, this may be a less intimidating option. They also give you a break on membership if all you want is visa processing.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #128
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
This place:

http://www.discoverbaja.com/

Is the only place authorized by the Mexican government to do it.
Thanks! Let me know if you still need that pic from Coco's....
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #129
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

BTW, for those of you who haven't seen this....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859906

Be careful out there....
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #130
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

Exactly. It only costs $24 and had there been a working ATM nearby, I would've been gotten mine and been on my way in under $20 minutes. Algodones immigration so smooth and fast and no lines.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #131
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Algodones immigration so smooth and fast and no lines.

San Luis as well, and can also get vehicle papers if you head to the mainland.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #132
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
They will do it by mail. For some the border is fine, for other, this may be a less intimidating option. They also give you a break on membership if all you want is visa processing.
If someone is intimidated getting your tourist card at the border they better stay at home because they will surely be intimated at the military check stops and they might even meet someone who doesn;t speak english
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #133
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Not intimidated in the least....just impatient...

...and before the next comments occur...

I am well familiar with "Mexico time"...sailed there years ago.

Just getting anxious to get this trip movin'!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #134
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I don't get all the negative comments about doing the visa by mail ahead of time. Like many things in life it's a little bit of money for a convenience. If you don't mind killing an hour (or 2) at the border in the event it is a busy hectic day, no problem. Traffic, parking, buy a ceramic tortuga... before you know it you can kill more time than you intended. I'm actually intending to do it at the border next time just because. But I don't think someone should be bad mouthed for wanting to take care of it ahead of time, which allows you to simply roll through the border without stopping. It's just a way to be extra prepared. Especially those coming from many miles away, it can be hard to predict when you will hit the border. Last time I went we ended up crossing at 3 am, it's just how it worked out. Now we didn't actually bother to get our visas for the trip , but if we had intended to do so I don't think you even can at 3am at the Yuma crossing.

I've only had one bad experience at a military check point, funny story... Our first trip in 08 we blew through the one north of Gonzaga so fast I didn't even notice it, the young soldiers were napping and didn't make it out to the road until the 4th and last guy in our group, Ryan, was approaching the little speed bump. He was pretty young and had never been out of Ohio before, and seeing us a mile ahead and still flying he got nervous about stopping for the check point alone. So as the first guy out the door tried to wave him down and stop him Ryan just gassed it and blew through. We stopped at the gas station in Gonzaga, which is within site of the check point. We were already at the pump when Ryan comes flying in, shuts his bike off, and in this panic mode that was right out of a Saturday Night Live skit yells:
"WTF guys, how come you left me alone at that checkpoint?!" ~Ryan
"What check point?" ~Me (1st through check point)
"Is that what that shack was back there?" ~Adam (second though)
"I saw the army guy coming out of the building, but I thought you guys blew it on purpose" ~Josh (3rd through)
"Yeah man they all came running out and tried to stop me, but I wasn't stopping alone with you guys, so I slowed down and just gassed it at the last second, they looked pissed dude!" ~Ryan
"Should we go back?" ~Adam
"Let's fill up and just chill and see if anyone drives down here" ~me

Well, we filled up, hung out, no one came down, so we continued on to Coco's, intending to be back in SF that night. Due to a series of flat tires we ended up spending the night at Alphonsia's on the return trip. The next morning we headed north, and boy did they remember us at the check point! Let's just say we got a VERY thorough search of our bikes and gear. We all had just small back packs and stuff, but they checked every tiny pocket, twice. Live and learn. 2 years later I was at that same check point at about 11pm at night and it became one of my and Mala Bunny's favorite memories.

Also, through research we have found having the girl in the group ride into the check point first seems to make them friendlier.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #135
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Great story....In Ensenada tonite, we are finishing up a two week trip. Hit a military check point yesterday, and when he looked in my gobi box and seen the cerveza, he asked me if there were any extras...
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote