ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #46
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,211
Am I the only weirdo that could see himself touring on one of these ?


I have been looking for an urban beater and this would be perfect!!
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #47
jas67
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Am I the only weirdo that could see himself touring on one of these ?


I have been looking for an urban beater and this would be perfect!!
Nope:

Here is a guy that rode his CT70 Monkey bike (Honda Mini Trail 1,650 miles form Louisiana to Sturgis.

They show him at 2:02 in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CLsBQTETci8#!

I found it in this thread:
http://lilhonda.com/webboard/f4/long...81/index2.html
__________________
2013 Ducati Monster 796
Moto Guzzi: 2013 V7 Racer, 2006 Breva 1100
BMW: 1973 SWB R75/5 "Toaster", 2003 F650GS Dakar
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #48
Dezzie OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dezzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 325
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgt3LCIyHc
__________________
Honda MSX125
SKYTEAM DAX 125 (ST70 COPY)
Dezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #49
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 278
Damn, I really would love to get one of these. I'm 5'8 170 lbs and could zip around on one of these like a bat out of hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0QWEajCpw
__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #50
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer
 
cogitate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of the Border, CA
Oddometer: 4,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
Damn, I really would love to get one of these. I'm 5'8 170 lbs and could zip around on one of these like a bat out of hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0QWEajCpw

I didn't underdstand a word he said, but I agree! Cool bike. I would trade my Hawk for one.
__________________
bikeless.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #51
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'
 
Woodsrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 1,273
Just to throw a wrench in our enthusiasm for this bike consider the fact that in stock form it's probably going to be a slug, requiring a shitload of aftermarket stuff to make it exciting to ride. (Priced Takegawa stuff lately??)

The other thing is all the ads and vids have shown the bike with Asians riding it who are usually pretty small people. The average American male is a pretty tall critter that may not fit on to these things. It'll work for me but I'm a runt.

Finally consider that for $1849 plus $130 shipping Pitster Pro sells a CT70/Dax style bike with a 125cc manual clutch four-speed motor with 12" wheels (http://shop.pitsterpro.com/classicpro125.aspx). For under two grand you'll have a bike that, unless I miss my guess, will not only perform as well as this bike but give you some financial room to build it as you see fit. Yeah, it's old fashioned styling-wise but underneath the flash of the new Honda is the same old horizontal engine they've been building since the earth cooled and in a walk around in one of the videos you can see they put an elcheapo shock on it. Wonder what other components have been cheapened up???

Understand that if Honda does bring these into the U. S. and can sell 'em for under three grand I'll probably buy one but now that I've had a chance to catch my breath and carefully study the on-line information about it the bike may not be as cool as we think it is.

Thoughts?
__________________
Boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier":
http://www.woodsrat.com/one-last-rid...-by-tim-weaver

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #52
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 278
Yeah, got to admit that Pitster is pretty cool. There's a dealer 120 miles from me. Have to check it out. Thanx!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svm2y_gKf8w
__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #53
Dezzie OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dezzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 325
I have the skyteam 125 which is the same as the pitster, currently stripped and then rebuilt ,almost finished, good bike but what it boils down to is Chinese quality to Honda quality, resale value, you can still get decent money back from the Honda when time to sell comes along, Chinese wont, I know I have owned a few, also here in the UK, it will be a lot easier to insure as the insurance companys in the UK don't really want to touch the Chinese copies, the ones that do want silly money and usually refuse to fully cover them incase of theft or damage as there cheap and easy to steal, Honda is a proper brand name so hopefully wont come across on paper as a monkeybike which its not really, should appeal to a wider market as theres lots of custom variations and bling lined up for it to suit varied tastes, also you get a decent warranty, pretty much sums it up in the UK!
__________________
Honda MSX125
SKYTEAM DAX 125 (ST70 COPY)
Dezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #54
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Just to throw a wrench in our enthusiasm for this bike consider the fact that in stock form it's probably going to be a slug, requiring a shitload of aftermarket stuff to make it exciting to ride. (Priced Takegawa stuff lately??)

The other thing is all the ads and vids have shown the bike with Asians riding it who are usually pretty small people. The average American male is a pretty tall critter that may not fit on to these things. It'll work for me but I'm a runt.

Finally consider that for $1849 plus $130 shipping Pitster Pro sells a CT70/Dax style bike with a 125cc manual clutch four-speed motor with 12" wheels (http://shop.pitsterpro.com/classicpro125.aspx). For under two grand you'll have a bike that, unless I miss my guess, will not only perform as well as this bike but give you some financial room to build it as you see fit. Yeah, it's old fashioned styling-wise but underneath the flash of the new Honda is the same old horizontal engine they've been building since the earth cooled and in a walk around in one of the videos you can see they put an elcheapo shock on it. Wonder what other components have been cheapened up???

Understand that if Honda does bring these into the U. S. and can sell 'em for under three grand I'll probably buy one but now that I've had a chance to catch my breath and carefully study the on-line information about it the bike may not be as cool as we think it is.

Thoughts?
As far as the performance of the bike, it is what it is. It's not necessary to have 0-60 times of a GSXR.

As far as the Pitster Pro, I worked for a dealer that sold the SkyTeam line(exact same Chinese manufacturer) and the quality was bad. Bike had tranny issues, kick starter components broke on one of the CT-70 copies, the chrome finishes rusted.

You get what you pay for. I'd spring for the Honda product.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
Adding a turbo or supercharger doesn't automatically turn an engine into a Palestinian alarm clock.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #55
DavesNotHere
Aging squid
 
DavesNotHere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 278
But what are the odds of the Honda ever being sold in the US?
__________________
____________________________________________


2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #56
adoptamutt
Adventurer
 
adoptamutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 86
And here's the Zuma clone

https://www.speedwaysatv.com/TaoTao-...ter-Moped.html


150cc and just $1049. You can buy 3 of these (2 for spare parts, ) for the cost of one Zuma 125.

Not only that, but 4 years later you can sell this one for $150, losing $900. The Zuma, with an msrp of $3400, may be worth $2400 then. So you lost $1000 in depreciation. Hey, you lost more money by buying the Zuma .
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #57
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: East Central VA
Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
But what are the odds of the Honda ever being sold in the US?
Probably zero.
If it works, it would be nice on the back of the RV.
__________________
If you think getting old is bad;
consider the alternative.
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #58
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer
 
cogitate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of the Border, CA
Oddometer: 4,723


http://youtu.be/R3cy9SolajQ

__________________
bikeless.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #59
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'
 
Woodsrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 1,273
Can you imagine American Honda using this ad during the Super Bowl? Folks would be lined up at the dealerships with money in hand if they could sell 'em for $2995 or less.

Sadly they've gone totally P. C. and even if they brought 'em in wouldn't dream of showing this commercial. If they did the American media would crucify them for being "irresponsible" and "promoting dangerous riding."

They do make it look like fun and ain't that what it's all about?
__________________
Boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier":
http://www.woodsrat.com/one-last-rid...-by-tim-weaver

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #60
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer
 
cogitate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of the Border, CA
Oddometer: 4,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Can you imagine American Honda using this ad during the Super Bowl? Folks would be lined up at the dealerships with money in hand if they could sell 'em for $2995 or less.

Sadly they've gone totally P. C. and even if they brought 'em in wouldn't dream of showing this commercial. If they did the American media would crucify them for being "irresponsible" and "promoting dangerous riding."

They do make it look like fun and ain't that what it's all about?

I could see American Honda bringing it in, but the ad campaign would be different. Maybe, you meet the nicest stunters on a Honda.
__________________
bikeless.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014