Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #241
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
A few people here have mentioned the Ducati Diavel. They have obviously never ridden one or they'd know it is not a feet-forward motorcycle. The bike itself may look elongated but the riding position is standard.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #242
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I own 3 scooters, a Yamaha Vino 125, a Yamaha Zuma 125, and a Genuine Stella 2 stroke. All bought new. The Vino is an '08, and I have somehow managed to put 24,000 miles on it. Mostly highway, though very little of it on freeways, because it is not freeway legal. I just recently bought the Zuma, and have outfitted it with a top box, saddlebags, a windshield, and of all things, forward mounted highway pegs. The pegs are there for 2 reasons. I have long legs, and the Zuma is kind of cramped. The other reason is so I can use the entire floor to carry stuff. I intend to use this scooter to explore backroads. I have already done one 700 mile trip on it. But it isn't freeway legal either. So I was seriously considering getting a maxi scooter, like the Silverwing, Majesty, or one of the Suzuki Burgmans for freeway use.

Now, I really do prefer small scooters, anything big should be a motorcycle. But there is the need for comfort. Mid sized cruisers provide that comfort, and I have had a boatload of them. The one I currently have has 77,000 miles on it (all mine) and while it has been mostly trouble free, I don't know how much longer it is going to last. I was considering the maxi scooter as a replacement for it. I wanted a change from cruisers, even though I have nothing against them. Then Honda cones out with this CVX thing, a motorcycle that does not look like a cruiser or a scooter, but has all the benefits of both. I still have to see one, sit on it, and hopefully test ride it. But it sure looks good to me. I have already decided on the black base model with a manual transmission and no ABS. I will add the rack, backrest, and bags later, a little at the time.

And I definitely plan on using it as an adventure bike. There are 12 states out of the lower 48 that I have not yet been to, and most of them are on the other side of the country from me. I want to fill up my map. It sure seems to me this is a much better adventure bike than a GSXR, R1, CBR-RR, etc. IMO those things don't even belong on the street.

And talk about boring, try riding across the country on a KLR650 or DR650 or something of that type, and tell me it is not drop dead boring. And the seat is like sitting on a 2x4.
Jerry, you sound like a true Adventurer. If NY is one of the states on your list feel free to look me up for ride ideas.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #243
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The CB350 four and 400 four are part of that history too, and in their day they weren't dull, or boring. They were out of the box thinking. The CBX too. I'm not Honda's target, they build what they build. It's sad I can walk right past everything they offer with nary a speck of interest. All this effort in moto-scooter-cruiser hybrids and they could easily own the entire DS/enduro market with a modern XL350R, or 500 Dakar Adv, or a real sport version of a CBR250RR, but I guess they know their market, they did build the Fury after all.
What do you ride?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #244
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Oh, I don't have a bike but if I did it would be a fast one.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #245
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

I can still find 2012 super teneres, fwiw.
That appears to be a regional thing or dealers that don't have a clue about that segment.

One dealer seems to be pushing them out the door faster than he can get them. It is hard to tell

The US of A tool a huge sales hit after 2005 (1,100,000 units sold) and dropped to 420,000 in 2010.

Since then it has been inching up to about 450,000 in 2012.

It looks like the ADV side dropped less than the rest. I am sure that there are still a lot of dealers that don't know what the segment is a about and won't even try selling them. You know the ones that wear bandanas all the time.

Someone over there needs to start a cable channel called "American Farkler" or "Pimp My ADV bike" or something.

Get some outrages farkling going on.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #246
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yesterday View Post
What a disappointment, whatever happened to the honda's of the 70's, cb400, cb550, cb750, cbx, cx, turbo bikes, ect...Bikes with INNOVATION, now it's just soulless repackaged crap, how many bikes can we make with the same engine.
Well, the 670 cc engine and DCT transmission is innovative. No one else is making anything like it. Honda is plowing a different field with this engine instead of the same old announcing the new old inline four has 3 more hp and is 2 ounces lighter compared to the same inline four from last year, last decade, last century. Wake up, the world has changed.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #247
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,041
Quote:
The CB350 four and 400 four are part of that history too, and in their day they weren't dull, or boring. They were out of the box thinking. The CBX too. I'm not Honda's target, they build what they build. It's sad I can walk right past everything they offer with nary a speck of interest. All this effort in moto-scooter-cruiser hybrids and they could easily own the entire DS/enduro market with a modern XL350R, or 500 Dakar Adv, or a real sport version of a CBR250RR, but I guess they know their market, they did build the Fury after all.

Yeah! A $7000 250cc bike, I'm sure they'll sell plenty of those.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #248
Navin
Unwounding

KTM sold right out of 350cc EXC dual sports at about $10,000 a piece so yeah, I'm sure they would move pretty well. Anyone who does track days would probably drop a deposit today.

They still trying to move those Furies, or Furries, or Furys? What's plural for crapola?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #249
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
KTM sold right out of 350cc EXC dual sports at about $10,000 a piece so yeah, I'm sure they would move pretty well. Anyone who does track days would probably drop a deposit today.

They still trying to move those Furies, or Furries, or Furys? What's plural for crapola?
I think city commuters are a bigger market than people who do trackdays of any type. I'm no market analyst, because they get paid real money.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #250
Navin
Unwounding

I guess, maybe? I'm pretty full up with KTMs and Kawasaki has always had more in a bike for me than Honda. Even the old Ninja 250s are more entertaining than the new CBR250. Kawasaki was always the least favorite brand for me as a kid, now it's the #1 Japanese brand for me. Even their starter bike has some muscles. The 650 has it, the Z bikes all the way up. It has a trait, Honda is just what you said, commuters. Everywhere I look in the line. Their 250 DS, commuter. The starter sport bike, commuter at heart. The bikes in this thread, the new 500s. Commuters all. I'm glad the commuters have so many choices under one roof, but the old Honda took a few chances and hit some real homers.

They look to be bunting all the time now. Swing the friggin bat!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #251
tonymorr

VFR had a cult following. They took the VFR and made it into something no self respecting VFR owner would want. There was a rumor that they were going to make a bigger faired version of it to replace the ST but that never happened. They could have had a whopper of an ST if they got the wind protection right, knocked the horsepower down enough to get decent mpg, put a big enough tank on it, included cruise control and communications. They could have gotten this recipe easily by spending 4 hours on an ST forum. Hint: That place is loaded with people who buy ST's!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #252
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
VFR had a cult following. They took the VFR and made it into something no self respecting VFR owner would want.
Ever ridden one? I'm continually amazed at the groupthink that has caused the VFR12 to get a bad rap. I understand if you can't get used to the styling...but the new VFR handles every bit as well as the 800... only it's much, much faster. Do self-respecting VFR-owners hate more power?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #253
tonymorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Ever ridden one? I'm continually amazed at the groupthink that has caused the VFR12 to get a bad rap. I understand if you can't get used to the styling...but the new VFR handles every bit as well as the 800... only it's much, much faster. Do self-respecting VFR-owners hate more power?
The groupthink? Really?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #254
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
The Honda DN-01 didn't inspire a damn thing, it is more scooter than motorcycle. CVT tranny I think? Big twist and go? Sales flop I think?
The Diavel might owe something to the V-Max, as they are both fast and cruiser-ish. But the Diavel is not feet forward as somebody else pointed out.
And I think I read a test where it out accelerated Ducati's own 1198, maybe out braked as well.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #255
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
That is one of the things honda got right with the VFR12. Unfortunately, they got too many things wrong.