ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #631
vtbob
wanderer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Western Vermont
Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentaco View Post
Thanks Wayne,

I'm anxiously awaiting my Mosfet RR's arrival. For the last year I've been charging at about 13.1-12.9 at 5000 RPM. Idle seems to charge around 13.3 I've been wanting to add aux lights but reluctant because of that. Hopefully now with a fully operation charging system I can breathe easy.


J
go a head and add your aux lights now. It will make no difference to your existing rr or the stator. the nature of BMWs design is that the stator generates 100% of the power it is able all the time. (why it gets so hot) and the RR shunts the power not needed to ground.

It appears that the newer version shunts at a hight voltage than earlier one. It is not clear to me that this helps or hurt stator over heating. (unknown internal RR design switching/shunting on voltage or more sophisticate voltage/current sense is unknown to me)
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #632
Lujo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Oddometer: 983
Does anyone know the power output of Rick's or Electrosport's stators? Or any other reason to prefer one over the other? I have enough heated gear that a few extra Watts wouldn't hurt.
__________________
'05 R12ST, '08 F800ST [ex: '04 GS Adv, '99 KLR 650, '88 Vulcan 750]
Lujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #633
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,908
Ages ago someone asked re identifying connectors and I could not find them in catalogues I had

Today I found a catalogue of all Bosch connectors http://www.mecs.nl/documentatie/Conn...02007-2008.pdf

Looks like it has everything including the BMS


WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #634
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujo View Post
Does anyone know the power output of Rick's or Electrosport's stators? Or any other reason to prefer one over the other? I have enough heated gear that a few extra Watts wouldn't hurt.
The Electrosport design was (according to Electrosport) done with modifications to specifically address the faults in the OEM design - allowing theirs to run cooler. I have no reason to think they are lying about it, but I've not seen or tested their units, so can't say for sure. All l can say is that I feed them the details on the faults of the OEM design and they were appreciative.

I can't comment on Rick's design as I don't know anything about it..........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #635
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Ages ago someone asked re identifying connectors and I could not find them in catalogues I had

Today I found a catalogue of all Bosch connectors www.mecs.nl/documentatie/Connectors%202007-2008.pdf

Looks like it has everything including the BMS


THANKS!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #636
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,908
Under the heading of answers were in the obvious place and I didnt find it before, they have a web site for connectors

http://www.bosch-connectors.com

Still laughing at how obvious it is and that it did not come up in searches previously
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #637
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Under the heading of answers were in the obvious place and I didnt find it before, they have a web site for connectors

http://www.bosch-connectors.com

Still laughing at how obvious it is and that it did not come up in searches previously

Hiding in plain sight eh?

Been there, done that, got plenty T-shirts
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #638
Lujo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujo View Post
Does anyone know the power output of Rick's or Electrosport's stators? Or any other reason to prefer one over the other? I have enough heated gear that a few extra Watts wouldn't hurt.
Thanks, JR. To answer my own question: I got in touch with both Rick's and Electrosport. Rick's reports that their stator is a straight OEM replacement, with no expectation of higher output or durability. Electrosport claims 15% higher output (they downplay this, but to me it sounds like a big deal -- one more piece of heated gear!) and that their version runs cooler than OEM due to higher-quality copper.
__________________
'05 R12ST, '08 F800ST [ex: '04 GS Adv, '99 KLR 650, '88 Vulcan 750]
Lujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #639
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,247
Lets face it Ricks and Electrosport make what I would call an emergency back up stator.
The quaity is not acceptable for long term satisfaction for our BMW F800s.
If the stator does not have a high temp epoxy dip it will not last.
The main reason we need an epoxy is to control the vibrating stresses induced into the stator from the magnetic field which leads to premature wire breaks. But the epoxy also needs to be able to with stand the 220 degrees that the BMW stator gets up to due to poor cooling from the engine oil in this engine compartment.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #640
Lujo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Lets face it Ricks and Electrosport make what I would call an emergency back up stator.
The quaity is not acceptable for long term satisfaction for our BMW F800s.
Why do you say that? Nothing I've heard makes them worse than the old OEM stators.
__________________
'05 R12ST, '08 F800ST [ex: '04 GS Adv, '99 KLR 650, '88 Vulcan 750]
Lujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #641
vtbob
wanderer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Western Vermont
Oddometer: 501
I tend to agree with Lujo.

The original stator design by BWM has proven unreliable over the long haul. BMW has opted not to address by warrenttee for those of us who are "lucky"??? enough to get beyond 36k miles/3 years. BMW does seem to have a cooling fix in the new stator/rotor replacement part for $900...but candidly it too, has not been proven over the long haul in the field yet.

I agree there is no reason at all to think that Ricks or Electro sport replacements are in any way inferior to the original BMW stator, and some reason to believe that they have to attempted to improve their stator performance.

I will be opening up my 3 year old, 30+ k mile F650 (stator has not failed to date) to see how toastie it is. Unless it shows no signs of over heating, I will replace it with either Ricks or Elctrosport...so I can ride this year with more confidence than I could have with the inferior OEM BMW stator in place.

Just waiting for a day above freezing to get in to the garage to check it out.

ps There has been a pretty thorought thread on this topic last year, and several knowledgable people could NOT come up with the epoxy potting that would have significantly higher temp rating....that is why BMW has opted for complex oil throwing mechanical design and the after market guys have tried to reduce the heat generated in the stator

vtbob screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:10 AM Reason: added ps
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #642
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,112
old flywheel?

BTW:

Does anyone have one of the old style flywheels laying around they don't need????

I have a stupid idea I'd like to try ... but not with my "real" flywheel ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #643
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Penticton, BC
Oddometer: 1,457
I have entertained those same thoughts...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #644
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,346
As I mentioned earlier..... I have epoxy that will hold up to 500. F......But no broken stator........ Yet.....
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #645
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujo View Post
Why do you say that? Nothing I've heard makes them worse than the old OEM stators.
Google search "electrosport stator problems" and you will find more results on their quality.

Now lets here from real world electrosport installs on our BMW F800gs and the mileage they are getting before failure????? Anyone have any miles on Electrosport or Rickys?

The stock BMW stator is actually very high quality but the lack of oil splash or air movement in that compartment has made its life very difficult.

I might have the stock flywheel in my parts bin it would be available for free plus shipping. I got a brand new Electrosport stator in the box and some 500 degree epoxy ready to do what they do not provide. Make me an offer I will ship you the new Electrosport Stator.

I bit the bullet and spent $900 on the new parts and sent the old stator to Custom Rewind for back up.
The Electrosport makes for a great door stop.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014