Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #1096
buggsy458
Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Well, you can either ignore it or buy a GS911 Tool. Google that. Every time you disconnect the battery the bike forgets what day it is.
Cool, thanks a lot!
buggsy458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1097
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Would someone please kindly tell me what the stock suspension sag numbers are for a rider in the 185-200 lb range... I've dicked around with mine so many ways from Sunday that I haven't the foggiest clue what the baseline is and I'd like to return my angles to near stock with new components.
Thank you!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #1098
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,850
Well, you can try this:

http://www.photos4aidan.com/actions/F800GSPreload.html (scroll to bottom)

I have a stupid question also. You have a what? 650? 700? 800?

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #1099
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Haha. Yes it's an 800 - makes a difference, no doubt.
Thanks Reaver, but that's not quite what I'm after. I've gotten rid of the original suspension quite a while ago and I know the golden rule is 20-30% sag but was curious what the bike runs at with stock suspension, that's all. (Changes in ride height affect changes in the geometry as well). Wanted to get back to a stock baseline just with better suspension.

As an aside did I see you're in Pickle Lake? I was born in Dryden...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1100
Reaver
Outta Here

Pickle Lake? Not me. No one goes there willingly. I see you've made a great move- Dryden to Penticton. Nice!

Oh so you've changed everything and forgoten where you started. I get it. Major mods. I thought you were a n00b owner with a stupid question. How silly of me. I know I read the specs in one of the many suspension threads but I can't offer any help with that. I'll shut up now.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #1101
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Would someone please kindly tell me what the stock suspension sag numbers are for a rider in the 185-200 lb range... Thank you!

Bumipity bump bump
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #1102
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I don't want to abuse yet another tire topic but i was wondering. What are the legal ramifications for having a tire with a speed rating lower than the manufacturers fitted tire. In this case the Anakee 2 that has a 220 kph rated tire that the F800GS came with and the K60's that are rated for 180 kph.
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #1103
Reaver
Outta Here

I'm not sure about the legal stuff in your Country but it shouldn't be an issue. BMW tested and certified the bike claiming a top speed of "over 200 kmh". Therefore the tires required to certify the bike must have a speed rating of at least that. Now in reality, how often are you doing over 200? How about over 180? The onice should be on you. If you go over 180 and have a tire failure, that's your fault. What's the maximum speed limit in your country? In Canada, 120 kmh is the highest I've seen so the tire is safe for all legal speeds here with room to spare.

Bottom line......you know the speed rating so ride within it.

Simple.

Any lawyers here??

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #1104
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Yea wondering what the lawyers think. If you have malicious insurance company they could invalidate your claim i think. Not too woried about the speed. Doubt those semi knobies are comfortable above 160 km/h.

Speed limit is 130 km/h at most in the Netherlands. Doesn't stop me from flying low sometimes
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #1105
Mika S
JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer: 167
Some European countries just require a sticker (visible from the driver's seat; for example on the speedo) stating the max allowed speed for the tires.
Mika S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1106
Skoots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Laugh Abs_asc

Stupid noob question... Just picked up a 13 F800gs last week. Took it out today for the first time. My question is how do you know if the abs/adv is on or off? I've read the owner's manuel and have played around with it for a while but still not sure how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Skoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #1107
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoots View Post
Stupid noob question... Just picked up a 13 F800gs last week. Took it out today for the first time. My question is how do you know if the abs/adv is on or off? I've read the owner's manuel and have played around with it for a while but still not sure how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated.
You notice that the abs light is on when you start the bike and before you start moving. Then the light goes off after you start moving. That shows the abs is working. It isn't when the light is on. You can hold down the switch after you start the bike and will turn the abs off. The light will be on when you start moving.
sorebutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #1108
Skoots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
You notice that the abs light is on when you start the bike and before you start moving. Then the light goes off after you start moving. That shows the abs is working. It isn't when the light is on. You can hold down the switch after you start the bike and will turn the abs off. The light will be on when you start moving.
Thanks.... It all makes sense now. I was trying to adjust sitting still.
Skoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #1109
Dragantus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question

Hey guys,

First off, thanks a lot for this thread. I finally got a 2010 F650GS twin last week as my first bike so it's great to read all of this!
The bike didn't come with passenger footrests so I'm looking for them, but they seem rather hard to find second hand where I'm at (The Netherlands).

I'm kind of assuming they're the same as on the 800GS. But are the passenger footrests also the same as on other bikes? Like the 1200GS or maybe even the 1100/1150?
Dragantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #1110
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
The passenger footrest brackets are part of the frame and not removable, so hopefully the previous owner didn't cut them off. If you just need the foot pegs then I think they are the same.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote