Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprism View Post
Been to 48 states...some 4-5 times...per-pairing now to cross Alaska off my bucket list in mid June to mid July 2013. Looks like I will be riding solo as most of my riding friends either still work or are simply afraid to go that distance.

I will be traveling from Nashville, TN and riding up through KY, IL, WI, MN, ND to cross into Canada at North Portal SK. In Canada I will traverse WNW through SK, AL, BC, YT and cross into Alaska at Beaver Creek YT. I figure this will take me 8 days but really have no schedule.

In Alaska, I will visit the cities of Glennallen, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Willow, Denali NP, Fairbanks, Tok, Valdez, Haines, Skagway over a 12-13 day period. Will try and camp when possible to save $$$ but will also look for cabin rentals when heavy rain sets in (and it will).

On the trip home, I will travel down BC highway 37 south and connect with highway 16 east over to Jasper/Banff NP or Ice-fields Parkway. Next will be to cross back into the US on highway 93 south Roosville MT and visit Glacier NP. This I figure will take me 7 days. From Glacier I am afraid it will be time to head home.

Is anyone from the Southeast or Mid West going this year. I would certainly like to hear your plans?
I am planning a few trips to Alaska this year. I might be able to squeeze in one more if my wife will let get away for that long. I live pretty close to Nashville so it would be easy for us to meet up. Just be prepared for mosquitos, lots of mosquitos, that are large enough to carry away a small dog. I have to take my wife up there at some point this spring/summer because I'm trying to convince her to make the move. I also promised a buddy that we'd take a motorcycle trip up there this year but don't have any dates planned yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepwood View Post
My goal this summer is to leave Nashville the beginning of August and get back sometime in September. I've always read the aurora borealis in Alaska is the best in September and that is my goal really, Northern Lights and Arctic Circle/Ocean. Everything along the way is a bonus. I realize that September in Alaska will be colder and might get sketchy but I have to see those lights.
I spent the months of August - November 2012 touring AK by motorcycle and didn't see the Northern Lights until October. These were taken October 12th and I was told they were the best they've been in 30-40 years in the Mat-Su valley.

If you click on one of the pictures it should take you to my smugmug gallery for more images.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote