Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #91
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Explorador View Post
Looks like you gents are having a hell of an adventure. Ask around, I can't remember the name but there is a lagoon nearby where sometimes fluorescent algae blooms and you can go at night to throw rocks in the lake and watch it glow.
We are having a blast! I am really looking forward to some more offroading/exploring in the near future. The rock throwing sounds fun. Maybe even some firecrackers in the lake

that is right up our alley because it is free and unique. We'll ask around today and see what we can find.

I appreciate you chiming in and offering an experience.....was hoping there would be more of that as we have almost no plan whatsoever. Thanks!

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #92
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
That is some serious preparation....wish we would have done the same. What language school are you doing?....and for how long? I haven't even booked one yet. totally unprepared, plan to roll into the country in a week.
I'm here for a month, just got here I signed up for Ixchel Spanish immersion and live with a family starting Monday. They were #1 google hit so they won don't know much else. I'm staying at the Black Cat Inn which is nice but unsure about bike parking, maybe they will let you roll it in the courtyard. I can check with em.
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #93
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Oddometer: 8
Guys, this is John, we met you guys in Mulege a couple of weeks ago in the resturant with Warp 9, been keepin an eye on you guys, looks like your having a good time. Be careful.
Grease Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #94
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
amigos,

I am glad you are having a good time and that being gringos and all, you STILL had the guts to come, saw a little of "extra business" activities and decided to continue on! and now you have stories for the rest of your life!

I am in!

Damasovi
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #95
JacqueTanis
Sassy

Oddometer: 11
Good Morning Alex and Andrew

Hi - this is Jacque ... remember the Mulege, Baja California Sur? Old lady, BMW, possible broken ribs from a fall on the gravel? LOL, yes they were broke - two of them. John calls them my battle scars. Hope you boys are doing ok! I've been thinking of you alot and pray for you every day. Stay safe and I'll keep following you and most of all, have fun ...
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #96
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
I'm here for a month, just got here I signed up for Ixchel Spanish immersion and live with a family starting Monday. They were #1 google hit so they won don't know much else. I'm staying at the Black Cat Inn which is nice but unsure about bike parking, maybe they will let you roll it in the courtyard. I can check with em.
Thanks for the offer but we have already secured a room for a week. Actually right next door to you at the Pasado Hotel. We arrive next Friday. Need to find a spanish school so that we can start on Monday. We'll see you soon

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #97
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTanis View Post
Guys, this is John, we met you guys in Mulege a couple of weeks ago in the resturant with Warp 9, been keepin an eye on you guys, looks like your having a good time. Be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
Hi - this is Jacque ... remember the Mulege, Baja California Sur? Old lady, BMW, possible broken ribs from a fall on the gravel? LOL, yes they were broke - two of them. John calls them my battle scars. Hope you boys are doing ok! I've been thinking of you alot and pray for you every day. Stay safe and I'll keep following you and most of all, have fun ...
Thanks to the both of you. Pleasure meeting with you guys and sharing a meal. Jacque, your a trooper for hanging in there with busted ribs. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes....we'll try to keep it safe

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #98
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
amigos,

I am glad you are having a good time and that being gringos and all, you STILL had the guts to come, saw a little of "extra business" activities and decided to continue on! and now you have stories for the rest of your life!

I am in!

Damasovi
Having a great time. You gotta give us gringos a little bit of credit here The stories are the best part. It is nerve racking in the moment but once you escape it you know you've got a good one to tell. If I didn't want the adventure i'd drive a car and stay in hotels every night. Glad to have you aboard!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #99
peteFoulkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Thanks. Just sitting in a shitty hotel in Ensanada because it took FOREVER to find someone to insure our bikes. After driving around the city for hours in my soaking sweaty gasoline soaked suit we got a quote for $170. No thanks, I'll get a hotel room, a 6-pack, and a pint and purchase my insurance online. Done! Bajabound for $90 and off for fish tacos.
haha, the EXACT same thing happened to us!

Find us on Facebook here:
www.facebook.com/toughmiles
peteFoulkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #100
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Thanks for the offer but we have already secured a room for a week. Actually right next door to you at the Pasado Hotel. We arrive next Friday. Need to find a spanish school so that we can start on Monday. We'll see you soon
I wouldn't pick mine it seems twice the price of the others. Check out a few in person, I know one has a pool which is probably more conducive to Spanish learning. The other important thing to know is the happy hours here are the bomb. Cuba libre for 5q or .63 cents US. See ya soon
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #101
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteFoulkes View Post
haha, the EXACT same thing happened to us!
That's funny dude. Love your website. Followed it for quite some time. Preparing for the next adventure?

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #102
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
I wouldn't pick mine it seems twice the price of the others. Check out a few in person, I know one has a pool which is probably more conducive to Spanish learning. The other important thing to know is the happy hours here are the bomb. Cuba libre for 5q or .63 cents US. See ya soon
Are you talking spanish school or Hotels? Pool sounds like it could be very helpful. Much more attentive when in an environment where you can just piss yourself.

I like those prices! I've literally been paying $1.50 to $3.00 per beer here in Mexico. Mixed drinks are too much for me. It is not the Mexico that I recall.....looking forward to Antigua!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #103
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

First order of business is to get oil. Went to the supermarket. Didn’t find oil but Alex got a new camera to replace the one he left in Troncones & Tequila. I got some oatmeal for future breakfasts and some beer. Found an autozone that doesn’t carry motorcycle oil. Then happened upon a half Yamaha half fishing/marine gear place. I got some Yamalube and Al bought a hand reel for ocean fishing.

Back at the hotel I got some breakfast and did some typing. Then on to do laundry. We sat in the heat for 25 minutos until the washer completed. Al grabbed the laundry and tossed in the machine just opposite the washer. Fed in the money, hit go, and the clothes are dancing in a torrent of water…..fuck all another 25 minutos later we get to the dryer. I walked down to the beach to kill some time.

While I was at the beach the JW's caught Alex in the laundry room. couple of women which I don't see nearly as much in the states.

With semi-dry clothes we hung them in the room and prepared for an oil change. Needless to say we made a mess in the hotel parking lot. Oops.

We saw fireworks and heard music during the oil change so we set off on foot and found out that it was the first day of “Carnival”. A multi-day festival celebrated immediately before Lent. Many people dress up or masquerade during the celebration. Puerto Escondido was no exception. There was a gaggle of tranny’s performing dance routines on the main stage. Things would have seemed out of place in America with all the Hispanic families eagerly watching on….quite entertaining.

Michalada street vendor:

Al trying to fit in:

The highlight of my evening was winning a chicken piggy bank for hitting balloons with darts. Cost me a dollar and felt bad for even taking anything. Figured I’d take it to a Mayan village in San Cristobal and give it to a kid.

The view from our balcony for $40/night

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #104
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Today we are going to Zipolite on the beach only about 60 miles away. Short day.

Following some cattle:

Nice view:

Arrived in Zipolite and drove down the mainstreet. This was supposed to be a beautiful beach area full of friendly people (so I read). The beach was nice but the streets only contained the hippie variety most of which appeared very burnt out with frowns on their faces. I have no problems with hippies but I was not feeling very welcome here.

Not very impressed we decided to push on to Salina Cruz. Exiting the small town we hit the first military check point that actually made me open one of my bags (we’ve probably crossed two dozen or so).

Passed some wind farms:

SC appears as a large dot on the map next to a lagoon so it must be a nice city on the coast right. 160 miles later we roll into a shit hole that doesn’t feel quite right. Pickups with machine guns mounted atop roaming the streets everywhere. The first hotel we stopped at a guy outside (appeared to be drunk) said, “youuuuuuu better be careful boys, this town is fucked up”. Great! Sun going down, everyone is staring, we drive the end of town with no luck. Back into the cluster we spy a hotel with an automatic roll up gate for secure parking. Knock on the glass….cage opens up and we score an overpriced room full of black mold and a dead cockroach under the sink.

Realizing our plan of not planning is not so great we begin to map out the next week.

Once accomplished we watch movies and check bikes until 2:00 in the morning. 4 hours of sleep and wake up excited that we have bikes and ready to GTFO. I do not recommend Salina Cruz to anybody.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #105
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

The plan is to get into San Cristobal (220 miles). The first 180 miles is boring paved highways. Then once passed Tuxla Guitierrez we start climbing into the mountains. At one point we stop for the view and take a photo.

First highrise I've seen in a while (TG):

Then I tell Alex to snap a picture while I ride a wheelie up the highway. Pull out, shift, slam the throttle, front wheelie barely off the ground, little clutch work, only a foot off the ground. What the hell! Check the GPS and realize we are over a mile high, the bike is running way rich and I’ve got no power.

Climbing through the mountain landscape the indigenous Mayan people dotted the roadside carrying supplies, riding horses, herding sheep, etc…

We crested the hills at over 7K feet and dropped into San Cristobal. Followed signs to the city center and then stopped at the first decent looking hotel (Hotel D’ Monica). Nice, clean, wifi, locked garage, Perfect!

Cleaned up and ate some cheap quesadilla’s then headed out for town on foot. Rough cobblestone streets and pavers created the sidewalks. We walked through some of the old churches and explored the market place. Thousands of locals selling their wares on the streets and was quite the bustling little city.

The door on this church was badass. About 5" thick with steel studs protruding....definitely built to keep someone OUT.

In the evening we even walked in on a mass service in procession just to listen/watch for a few minutes. Didn’t understand anything….

'01 DRZ 400