ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 4.59 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #6931
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
My brain already exploded a few pages back

Unless this is a Montana ONLY issue with via points, shaping points, limits, etc.... I would kindly like to ask for it to be moved over to the BaseCamp thread. If it's only related to the Montana, then disregard my request.
I would tend to agree on this - it's not only a Montana issue - it's the same for all the modern Garmin gps units as far as I can tell. The 62/78/Oregon/Colorado and likely the new eTrex line all have the same limitation. I just tried out Rocky TFS's file and it gave me the same 50 point limitation to the route in On Road Navigation mode on my 62S.

The 50 point limitation's a little more frustrating with the Montana since it's supposed to be the "Ultimate" Garmin gps (of its type) right now. We all know it's not a Zumo, but it's as close to a Zumo as I want.

But I think moving the subject to a thread specifically on 'Routing with Garmin's Montana/Oregon/62/78/eTrex XX' is a good idea. In fact I have just created that topic now. (Oops, forgot the Dakota but it probably has the same issue)

The problem is not specifically a Basecamp issue, though.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 01:38 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #6932
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,380
Well yes I can certainly understand and I assume the recent brain explosions were MY fault.

I am not disagreeing but coming from the 60CSx to the Montana and now trying to learn about using it for routing, it seemed that posters would for example only say "Direct" and for a long time I thought they meant "Direct" on the Montana but usually they meant Direct on BC and sometimes vice versa. Very different and hard for me to tell which was the case. On top of that I could not decipher terminology like points vs. via points vs. shaping without an understanding of them in BC vs. the Montana, plus some posters were using the terms interchangeably or were posting terms from old experience with old GPS models.

So in theory one could stay in a BaseCamp thread and learn concepts then move to this thread and ask Montana specific questions but it is hard because terminology is not consistent and the 2 are so interwoven. If there was a good reference you could just point us newbies there and I'd be happy to go there an learn (still am), but don't know of one.

My goal on my BC posts was to get some agreement on terminology so I/we on the Montana thread could move forward with discussions.

Having said all of this, I admit I did NOT pay my dues and have not read all of the Montana thread. It is a daunting task. So please forgive me, I hope I have helped somebody out there if my posts on terminology were correct.

I'll try to update the new Routing On the Montana thread (good idea MBD!)... with some of my posts and move topics there.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #6933
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I'll try to update the new Routing On the Montana thread (good idea MBD!)... with some of my posts and move topics there.
That would be great - I think the subject bores some people but others can't get enough of it. Your posts and the others who participated in that subject are very elaborate and well thought out but right over the heads of those of us who don't use Routes.

The other thread should be very informative to those who do use routes regardless of which gps they use.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #6934
Rocky TFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Anyway, it seems strange that the thing is limited to such small numbers. In these days of 32 gigabyte micro-SD cards, it seems like we should be able to have tracks that are millions of points.
Is there some Montana forum somewhere on the net? I found Garmin's forum but they only have sub forums for running and swimming GPS units.
You are looking at it...

Garmin does have a BaseCamp forum, it is sometimes helpful. This is better:
http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/

and this:
http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/

Pretty much required reading for anyone new to the game. EDIT Oh yeah, and this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790308 Sorry EmmBeeDee :)

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would ever need more than a couple thousand track points. The longest one I ever created was about 600, on any GPS I've owned.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 02:26 PM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #6935
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

Is there some Montana forum somewhere on the net? I found Garmin's forum but they only have sub forums for running and swimming GPS units.
You might find something of interest here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #6936
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I would tend to agree on this - it's not only a Montana issue - it's the same for all the modern Garmin gps units as far as I can tell. The 62/78/Oregon/Colorado and likely the new eTrex line all have the same limitation. I just tried out Rocky TFS's file and it gave me the same 50 point limitation to the route in On Road Navigation mode on my 62S.

The 50 point limitation's a little more frustrating with the Montana since it's supposed to be the "Ultimate" Garmin gps (of its type) right now. We all know it's not a Zumo, but it's as close to a Zumo as I want.

But I think moving the subject to a thread specifically on 'Routing with Garmin's Montana/Oregon/62/78/eTrex XX' is a good idea. In fact I have just created that topic now. (Oops, forgot the Dakota but it probably has the same issue)

The problem is not specifically a Basecamp issue, though.

Exactly, it's not a Basecamp issue at all. But it's not a Montana specific issue either. All the hiking handhelds have the same 50 via point limit AFAIK. The 276,376,478 all can do something like 100 if I remember correctly. The old Zumo's can do 500 via points, and the new Zumo's can do 1000 via points.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 05:46 PM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #6937
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Forgive me but there is ONE Montana routing question nobody has answered here... and I am still hoping to have an answer in this thread, so that I can quote it in the new routing thread as a fact to build on.

Regarding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Here's another post from the BaseCamp forum, including response from a Developer.
Hi,

I tried using shaping points in BaseCamp (won't alert, grayed out), but when I transfer the route to my Montana, while the route is as I created it, it is full of Via Points.
My question is...

After a route is on a Montana, how can you tell if you have Shaping Points on it or Via Points? I mean based on my earlier distinction between the 2 in BaseCamp, once it is on the Montana how can you which ones are Via Points vs. Shaping Points? What specifically are you looking at on the Montana?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #6938
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

The whole shaping point thing was created because of ZUMO owners. They didn't want all the Via points cluttering up the map display, You can imagine how bad it looked having 300-400 via point flags being displayed in a couple hundred mile route. So Garmin created shaping points as a way to turn them off so they wouldn't display on the ZUMO's, and to make them non announcing. As far as I know, none of the other units outside of the ZUMO hide the shaping points. Of course with only a max of 50 points with the Montana, not like there's a lot of clutter anyway.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #6939
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The whole shaping point thing was created because of ZUMO owners. They didn't want all the Via points cluttering up the map display, You can imagine how bad it looked having 300-400 via point flags being displayed in a couple hundred mile route. So Garmin created shaping points as a way to turn them off so they wouldn't display on the ZUMO's, and to make them non announcing. As far as I know, none of the other units outside of the ZUMO hide the shaping points. Of course with only a max of 50 points with the Montana, not like there's a lot of clutter anyway.
I believe the 276,376,478 supported shaping points before the Zumo's.

???????
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #6940
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
I believe the 276,376,478 supported shaping points before the Zumo's.

???????
Ahhh think I got confused, PONI Killer is what eliminates the points from being displayed, not making them non alerting. Been a while since I used my ZUMO

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #6941
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
EmmBeeDee,

Thanks for the clarification. I did not realize the limit issue was with the newer Garmin stuff and not BaseCamp.

Quote:
Well yes I can certainly understand and I assume the recent brain explosions were MY fault. .....
No problem and no blame placed

You had/have questions just like the rest of us.

Besides, now that I've gotten older I probably need to defrag my brain so there is room for all this new stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Exactly, it's not a Basecamp issue at all. But it's not a Montana specific issue either. All the hiking handhelds have the same 50 via point limit AFAIK. The 276,376,478 all can do something like 100 if I remember correctly. The old Zumo's can do 500 via points, and the new Zumo's can do 1000 via points.
Well that explains why I never really came across those things in the Zumo threads. And to be honest I have totally forgot that the reason I bought the Montana was as an upgrade to my old GPSmap 60C which I was having a hard time seeing the screen when riding off road. Now that I've sold my off-road bike and only have the FZ1, my Zumo 550 is all I really need on the bike. So I suspect I'll probably not run into any limit issues very often unless I retire the Zumo.

Jon...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #6942
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Well that explains why I never really came across those things in the Zumo threads. And to be honest I have totally forgot that the reason I bought the Montana was as an upgrade to my old GPSmap 60C which I was having a hard time seeing the screen when riding off road. Now that I've sold my off-road bike and only have the FZ1, my Zumo 550 is all I really need on the bike. So I suspect I'll probably not run into any limit issues very often unless I retire the Zumo.

Jon...
My 550 is ancient in tech terms, but it's still a great unit for some of my riding. As it stands right now, I can't use the Montana as my only GPS so I still hang onto the ZUMO.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #6943
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Rocky, can you PLEEEEZ be kind enough to also post this into the new thread that MBD created:

Routing with Garmin's Montana/Oregon/62/78/eTrex XX

Because I have already (WITH a little PAIN ) added all of my preliminary information about terminology etc, and this would be a great place to continue this discussion!

See you there!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #6944
Rocky TFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Rocky, can you PLEEEEZ
Oops, sorry.....I guess there is no way to delete a post, so maybe I'll just edit both if them to point over there.

BOY! There's a whole lot more there than yesterday!! Anybody want to guess when THAT thread goes past 400 pages?!?!!

EDIT: Hey, I just figured out how to delete my posts!! Nuke in the editing window....

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:32 PM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #6945
Ken in Regina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
When I plug in my Montana to the USB, what exactly do you think it is doing when it says (momentarily):

"Saving all Waypoints, Routes and Trip Log information in GPX format: xx% Complete"

?

Is it creating GPX "files" ? Where? on the internal storage or on the PC or ?
Looks like this one got overlooked. Yes it's creating a GPX file ("current.gpx"). On the device. So the PC program (eg. Basecamp, Mapsource) can read it if you want it to load that data from the device.

...ken...
Ken in Regina is offline   Reply With Quote