User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #46
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 319
Biking in Spain

I see your map shows getting as far as Gibraltar, with a gap until Alicante. The area in between is filled with fantastic little twisties & sights to see. Road A405 from Gilbraltar up to Ronda, then A397 back down to Marbella is worth looking at. Lots of small "White Villages".

If Gibraltar is really big on your list, the above is fine, but turning east from Jerez de la Frontera will take you towards Arcos de la Frontera, then through a lovely national park with more fine twisties. Take the smaller road through Grazalema, then stop in Monte Corto, 12 miles before Ronda, much cheaper & quieter rooms there.

When in Ronda, take a little side trip to Setenil, just north about 20 miles. Beautiful rolling hills with an amazing trogdolite village tucked UNDER the river's canyon edge. Another route east from Ronda is A366 towards Malaga. Blast through, then take the old coast road to Almunecar, another 50 miles east. This is in a tropical valley that you may find historical sites going back 3,000 years. From there, go north via A4050 to Granada, one of the finest medieval cities in Spain, with the Alhambra as its shining star. Good backstreets shopping & snooping too.

From Granada, you can take backtrack a bit to another road, A44 & A348 east to the coast towards Alicante again. Lots of inland or waterfront options beyond Almeria, but I haven't been on them for over 30 years so won't comment as to their suitability now.

When you get back, how about a ride report? Let us know of any interesting places not mentioned in this thread. I'm off to Andalucia & Morocco again in Sept/Oct for 6 weeks & am always looking for new adventures.

Ride hard, have fun,

Ken in Campbell River, BC
& Felix, black 95 Tiger
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #47
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweJinx
DD,

I'll tell what's crazy, logging onto the ADV site on my way to BCN, from 32,000 feet.

I know what I mean when I say "crazy"', but when you say "crazy" it makes me kinda nervous. It looks so small on the map.

Let me know what needs to fall to the wayside.

Cheers.
I meant the good crazy... as your map shows waypoints and not your route it's kinda hard to know how many kms you're planning on. Just play it by ear and do the amount of kms you're feeling on any given day.

Here's a google map I made with some routes in the Pyrenees

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9,4.938354&z=8

Godspeed,

Dominic

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #48
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,091
PM me if you want to when the time comes for you to go to Morocco. I work there a lot and would love to meet some folks to ride with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker
I see your map shows getting as far as Gibraltar, with a gap until Alicante. The area in between is filled with fantastic little twisties & sights to see. Road A405 from Gilbraltar up to Ronda, then A397 back down to Marbella is worth looking at. Lots of small "White Villages".

If Gibraltar is really big on your list, the above is fine, but turning east from Jerez de la Frontera will take you towards Arcos de la Frontera, then through a lovely national park with more fine twisties. Take the smaller road through Grazalema, then stop in Monte Corto, 12 miles before Ronda, much cheaper & quieter rooms there.

When in Ronda, take a little side trip to Setenil, just north about 20 miles. Beautiful rolling hills with an amazing trogdolite village tucked UNDER the river's canyon edge. Another route east from Ronda is A366 towards Malaga. Blast through, then take the old coast road to Almunecar, another 50 miles east. This is in a tropical valley that you may find historical sites going back 3,000 years. From there, go north via A4050 to Granada, one of the finest medieval cities in Spain, with the Alhambra as its shining star. Good backstreets shopping & snooping too.

From Granada, you can take backtrack a bit to another road, A44 & A348 east to the coast towards Alicante again. Lots of inland or waterfront options beyond Almeria, but I haven't been on them for over 30 years so won't comment as to their suitability now.

When you get back, how about a ride report? Let us know of any interesting places not mentioned in this thread. I'm off to Andalucia & Morocco again in Sept/Oct for 6 weeks & am always looking for new adventures.

Ride hard, have fun,

Ken in Campbell River, BC
& Felix, black 95 Tiger

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #49
LoweJinx OP
New Minglewood

Oddometer: 28
I'm Back

Hey all,

So sorry for the disappearing act, but ever since we started some 10 days ago we've been so busy riding and discovering new things. New things like, riding in the rain and sleet. Getting hooked up to the Spanish phone/internet grid, oh and flat tires. 2 of them.

Some frustrating days, but overall a great journey thus far. We seen some really amazing sights, and met some really generous people along the way too.

We ride all day and usually pull into a town late. Like around 22:00. Scramble to return a few email, shower up. Then cocktails and dinner, followed by cocktails. Up early hitting the road. No time for a proper ride report while on the road. Time is too valuable. We've already had to sacrifice a few primo spots (Ronda. I know!) along the way, and even grinding some miles on the autopista in the name of keeping on track.

Here's a link to our route thus far. Heading into Portugal today so we'll definitely start following some of your suggested routes

Please follow along and enjoy the ride. Anyone have time for a cold beer?

Ciao

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...g.wikipedia.en
LoweJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #50
fulviapaulo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hi!
Glad to hear you're on the road. If you come to Braga or Porto, just PM me or something like that... first beer is on me

Cheers and drive safely

8? Honda QR50 (my kids bike)
91 Aprilia RX50 (first bike)
93 Honda AfricaTwin
98 Husaberg FE400
05 Honda Zoomer
ex-88 Honda Dominator (2008-2009)
72 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
79 Ford Capri 2.0S
00 Land Rover Defender 110SW (sadly missed)
fulviapaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #51
Navel
Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer: 152
Sent you a PM
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #52
LoweJinx OP
New Minglewood

Oddometer: 28
Hey again.

In the Serra Estella's tonight. It's all happening so fast. Everyday we try to slow it down, but there's so much to see, and so much ground to cover.

Perhaps you could recommend a suitable hotel (eu100 +-) and some dining suggestions too.

Tomorrow is the Duoro past Porto and up towards Braga. Who knows. Maybe that Beer?

Sorry to be so abrupt.

More later.

Cheers
LoweJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #53
fulviapaulo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hi!

Sent you a PM

8? Honda QR50 (my kids bike)
91 Aprilia RX50 (first bike)
93 Honda AfricaTwin
98 Husaberg FE400
05 Honda Zoomer
ex-88 Honda Dominator (2008-2009)
72 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
79 Ford Capri 2.0S
00 Land Rover Defender 110SW (sadly missed)
fulviapaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #54
yorkieterrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Great pics and ride report, thank everyone for that.

This thread has provided me with some great inspiration for trip to Spain and Portugal next summer
yorkieterrier is offline   Reply With Quote