User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
stickit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
1999 640 Adventuer Questions

Just bought a 1999 model , have a few questions that might seem dumb but need to get solved . 1 ,Do they only start in neutral ? Mine only does it has a center and side stand , but can't see any censes to stop it from starting in gear when the stands down . 2 Are they always hard to start ie , one time starts with choke and stalls as soon as you throttle it off ; then wont start with choke and have to give it throttle to make it run . I did have to shorten up the right hand side fuel line as it was leaking like a sieve. This bike has done 25000ks and from all perspectives it looks in show room condition . Cheers for the help I have ridden her once up the dirt and loved every minute , but can see all the talk on the vib !! I have done a heap of research and been finding it hard to find the right answers for my prob's . Cheers
stickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickit View Post
Just bought a 1999 model , have a few questions that might seem dumb but need to get solved . 1 ,Do they only start in neutral ? Mine only does it has a center and side stand , but can't see any censes to stop it from starting in gear when the stands down . 2 Are they always hard to start ie , one time starts with choke and stalls as soon as you throttle it off ; then wont start with choke and have to give it throttle to make it run . I did have to shorten up the right hand side fuel line as it was leaking like a sieve. This bike has done 25000ks and from all perspectives it looks in show room condition . Cheers for the help I have ridden her once up the dirt and loved every minute , but can see all the talk on the vib !! I have done a heap of research and been finding it hard to find the right answers for my prob's . Cheers
There is a starter relay switch that ties in with the clutch lever so you can't start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in... This is a safety feature and it sounds like yours is not working... You can either bypass it by joining the 2 wires together, try cleaning the contacts or replace it...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
stickit OP
Adventurer

Could you post some pic's so I can fig out where it is . Cheers
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Could you post some pic's so I can fig out where it is . Cheers
I'm used to the later hydraulic clutch models, but yours is probably in a similar location... Just follow 2 wires with a connector that plug into the clutch lever perch... This connector has a tiny spring loaded switch that moves when the clutch lever is pulled...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
My '99 has some sort of electrical switch mounted on the clutch side I believe, haven't paid it much attention as it hasn't caused me any problems.

The stalling may have something to do with the carb settings. I found that the idle mixture really made a difference and ended up buying a mixture screw from Loaded at Stenhouse Racing. It might not be the worst idea to take the carb apart to inspect and clean, mine was very worn and needed a bunch of parts replaced when I first bought it.

I replaced most of the fuel hoses on mine. I didn't mess with the molded hoses but anything that could be replaced with straight hose from the parts store got changed out.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
stickit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
My '99 has some sort of electrical switch mounted on the clutch side I believe, haven't paid it much attention as it hasn't caused me any problems.

The stalling may have something to do with the carb settings. I found that the idle mixture really made a difference and ended up buying a mixture screw from Loaded at Stenhouse Racing. It might not be the worst idea to take the carb apart to inspect and clean, mine was very worn and needed a bunch of parts replaced when I first bought it.

I replaced most of the fuel hoses on mine. I didn't mess with the molded hoses but anything that could be replaced with straight hose from the parts store got changed out.
I have figed maybe the prob ; same as your bike traced those wires and they connect to nothing . I have 2 male connectors sitting near it doing nothing . But when I connect the one with a heap of wires it blows the fuse . The other one is connected by one brown wire and the other is broken . Could you have a look and source what yours connects to and maybe I can fig my prob out . Please .
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
stickit OP
Adventurer

I forgot to mention my fuel lines must have already been replaced as none of them are molded to a shape . They sprang a leak the other day from the right hand tank and have it on the list to replace them . Did they come with molded hoses people ??
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 303
Wire

It is just in front of the counter shaft sprocket, there is a kickstand switch too. If the kick stand is down it won't start
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigDaddy View Post
It is just in front of the counter shaft sprocket, there is a kickstand switch too. If the kick stand is down it won't start
I have no kickstand switches on my '99.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
stickit OP
Adventurer

Kick start stand ?? Mine has a side stand as well as a center sand . The bloke I bought it off said he only ever used the kick start once and said take off the side stand to kick her over , but get it right or she well send you over the bars !!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
stickit OP
Adventurer

Thought I would do this as a seperate post . I I found the prob .. Pulled the front farring off stuck my noggin in and connected wires together ; HAY PRESSTO !! Prob now is I saw other wire connectors ( three pron male )with no friend in sight . What you think ??
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Thought I would do this as a seperate post . I I found the prob .. Pulled the front farring off stuck my noggin in and connected wires together ; HAY PRESSTO !! Prob now is I saw other wire connectors ( three pron male )with no friend in sight . What you think ??
There are some connectors under that dash that are not used....
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
stickit OP
Adventurer

So I was replacing the fuel lines this arvo and found a electrical connector comming of the carbie throttle . I can't see any other connectors to attach it to . Ideas boys
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
Ol'Muley
old, not dead

Oddometer: 82
carb

Carb has proly been replaced it sounds like a later tps connector check bst bible
Ol'Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #15
stickit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Muley View Post
Carb has proly been replaced it sounds like a later tps connector check bst bible
TPS ?? Makes me wonder why replace , as carbies are far as I now reliable to the death, just keep it clean and jetted I have been having a heap of trouble with the trip and speedo ; can;t get it to find -1 on the trip diameter . It won't run thru the number + or - . , this makes the speedo go off the scales for speed . This is not the last of my questions !!