Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Steel subframe, so you are good.
I see in your sig line you have a DR650 and a WR250R. Which would you prefer to take on the TAT for a full length ride?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Lowered WR at the 2012 RedNek Rendezvous:

Seat height can't be more than a few inches off the ground!

Bike is VTBeemers, and did the TAT later that season.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Yes, the subframe is no problem at all on the WR. It's strong! The Seat Concepts is a WINNER! I can ride mine all day, day after day, have done so, and no problem.

As for gearing, I'm reluctant to go down on the CS sprocket as some have had problems with the chain getting too close to the WRR's swing arm and chain protector. Also, the larger you can go on the CS, the happier the chain will be. I prefer to go up on the back and get a longer chain. I ran 47 on the TAT, and would go with 50 if did it again. Not only does that give you the umph to get up the tallest peaks in the thin air, but it will let you use third gear in many places where with the 47 you are either screaming in second or lugging in third. The 50 will also let you use 6 on the highway, loaded, and still do 65mph all day long. My chain of choice is the DID X-Ring Gold. Very durable and no noticeable stretch over 8500 miles of the TAT.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I see in your sig line you have a DR650 and a WR250R. Which would you prefer to take on the TAT for a full length ride?
See my post above. WRR all day long.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Yes, the subframe is no problem at all on the WR. It's strong! The Seat Concepts is a WINNER! I can ride mine all day, day after day, have done so, and no problem.

As for gearing, I'm reluctant to go down on the CS sprocket as some have had problems with the chain getting too close to the WRR's swing arm and chain protector. Also, the larger you can go on the CS, the happier the chain will be. I prefer to go up on the back and get a longer chain. I ran 47 on the TAT, and would go with 50 if did it again. Not only does that give you the umph to get up the tallest peaks in the thin air, but it will let you use third gear in many places where with the 47 you are either screaming in second or lugging in third. The 50 will also let you use 6 on the highway, loaded, and still do 65mph all day long. My chain of choice is the DID X-Ring Gold. Very durable and no noticeable stretch over 8500 miles of the TAT.
That's a strong endorsement, but im still on the fence. Maybe you could lend me your WR and I'll do the TAT. Next I could borrow the DR650 and try that one for TATII (tattoo?). When I return to see that wifey has sold the house and left all my crap in the street I can ride even more!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Lowered WR at the 2012 RedNek Rendezvous:

Seat height can't be more than a few inches off the ground!

Bike is VTBeemers, and did the TAT later that season.
How low can you go?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Now, please understand that I'm not getting into a bike-dissing contest here. I really like the DR. If my knee was able to handle the seating position, I'd like to have one.

It seems that a big advantage of the WR is significantly better fuel economy. Given that you're going to need to carry fuel on certain sections, a bike that gets better fuel economy is a lighter bike.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 04:14 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
That's a strong endorsement, but im still on the fence. Maybe you could lend me your WR and I'll do the TAT. Next I could borrow the DR650 and try that one for TATII (tattoo?). When I return to see that wifey has sold the house and left all my crap in the street I can ride even more!
Nice plan, but let's see if you can make it work!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I have a WR and a DR.....and have ridden both on the Colorado and Utah portions of the TAT. The good news is, is that both of them will be good for the job. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. and carry about 65lbs of gear (including the weight of the luggage).

On the road, you can ride either one all day long....day after day. They are both very smooth thumpers.

My choice for the TAT, CDR, etc. is the WR (with 14/50 gearing and a 13 tooth counter sprocket in my bag). However, my reason for the choosing the WR is mainly because I travel solo, and the WR is much easier to pick up.....and I would have a much better chance of getting out from underneath it if I got pinned. Only once have I found myself wishing I had the DR, and that was on the very high, technical mountain passes in Colorado (think Imogene, Sheep Creek, Black Bear, Mosquito, Marble/Gothic).....the WR had no issues on the TAT Passes (Hancock, Cinnamon, etc.). Having said this, the WR made it....but was lacking power on these high passes. Everywhere else, it's equal or superior to the DR. Overall, I'd choose the WR on a long haul solo ride.

However, the DR may be better for you, because it has a lower seat height....which may be worth the weight penalty relative to the WR. A DR will rip up any of the TAT passes, including the other Colorado passes I mentioned without issue. If you go with the DR, don't bother messing with re-jetting at altitude. Just ride the damn thing.....when you get to high elevations....somewhere between 10-12k feet, simply remove the airbox door (make sure you remove the captive nuts too, or they will rattle out and you will lose them!). After that, the bike will run strong well over 16k feet. When you drop back down....put the airbox door back on....much easier than re-jetting on the side of the trail.

Bottom line, both bikes are great, reliable, long haul adventure bikes.....you won't go wrong with either. It just comes down to personal preferences.

Why oh why won't Yamaha make a WR450R .....now that would be the ultimate adventure bike!

The Breeze screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:53 PM
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
I have a WR and a DR.....and have ridden both on the Colorado and Utah portions of the TAT. The good news is, is that both of them will be good for the job. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. and carry about 65lbs of gear (including the weight of the luggage).

On the road, you can ride either one all day long....day after day. They are both very smooth thumpers.

My choice for the TAT, CDR, etc. is the WR (with 14/50 gearing and a 13 tooth counter sprocket in my bag). However, my reason for the choosing the WR is mainly because I travel solo, and the WR is much easier to pick up.....and I would have a much better chance of getting out from underneath it if I got pinned. Only once have I found myself wishing I had the DR, and that was on the very high, technical mountain passes in Colorado (think Imogene, Sheep Creek, Black Bear, Mosquito, Marble/Gothic).....the WR had no issues on the TAT Passes (Hancock, Cinnamon, etc.). Having said this, the WR made it....but was lacking power on these high passes. Everywhere else, it's equal or superior to the DR. Overall, I'd choose the WR on a long haul solo ride.

However, the DR may be better for you, because it has a lower seat height....which may be worth the weight penalty relative to the WR. A DR will rip up any of the TAT passes, including the other Colorado passes I mentioned without issue. If you go with the DR, don't bother messing with re-jetting at altitude. Just ride the damn thing.....when you get to high elevations....somewhere between 10-12k feet, simply remove the airbox door (make sure you remove the captive nuts too, or they will rattle out and you will lose them!). After that, the bike will run strong well over 16k feet. When you drop back down....put the airbox door back on....much easier than re-jetting on the side of the trail.

Bottom line, both bikes are great, reliable, long haul adventure bikes.....you won't go wrong with either. It just comes down to personal preferences.

Why oh why won't Yamaha make a WR450R .....now that would be the ultimate adventure bike!
That's a very interesting idea about the air door. If one were to rejet, there would be less fuel to go with the thinner air and as a result, less power. Your solution brings MORE air (albeit thinner air) to the same fuel. It seems like that way most, if not all, of the HP is retained.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #26
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,267
Quote:
Originally quoted by The Breeze:

Another reference to the mythic WR450R... with a 6 speed, wide-ratio tranny, 4 gallons of fuel, racks and guards...

We're another year closer to it...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Take the WR ! Fuel mileage, easy to handle and it will carry the load. I`m #240 and would rather take a WR on a ride like that so I don`t have to wrestle a DR650 in the soft stuff, creeks, steep hills etc.

Thats just my 2 cents worth.
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
That's a very interesting idea about the air door. If one were to rejet, there would be less fuel to go with the thinner air and as a result, less power. Your solution brings MORE air (albeit thinner air) to the same fuel. It seems like that way most, if not all, of the HP is retained.
NO ... HP is not retained ... but the DR650 motor will run cleaner and use less gas when more air is provided ... or a smaller main jet is installed.

At altitude ... ALL motors ... lose power, including any F.I. motor. But the F.I. has the ability to "lean out" the mixture, allowing the motor to start, run and idle perfectly even at 20,000 ft. But Power will always be lost the higher one goes.

If a DR650 is jetted properly (very lean) at sea level it will run fine up to about 12,000 ft. Higher than that and it's best to either go with a smaller Main jet (leaner) or do the simple, quick solution and pull the air box side cover. More Air or Less Fuel ... both accomplish the same goal, but rejetting is the real answer for long term use.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,686
Just got back from a long Baja trip, me on my WR250R, son on a lightly used but mostly stock DR650. Both bikes did the job, but my son will be looking for a WR250R the next time

Lower seat height, and 650 cc's are the DR's strong points--no replacement for displacement. That said, the WR's motor and 6 speed transmission didn't slow us down a bit. However, the DR bottomed out a few times on big rocks that the extra height on the WR allowed me to roll over. (We both were carrying roughly the same load.) The WR's stock suspension is much, much better than the DR. The fuel injection worked flawlessly while we had some carb issues with the DR. We both fell numerous times, and the DR was much harder to pick up. The DR's tail light rattled itself to death, the right side body panel melted and somewhere along the line the horn died as well. Worst of all, the clutch disintegrated in the middle of a wet dry lake...

The only issue I had with the WR was that the chain wore out and wore through the chain guard and slightly into the swingarm, but that was user error--I got complacent after the first 4000 miles and stopped checking the chain slack.

There's a lot of good things about the DR650--it's definitely fun to ride, but you'd have to spend a good chunk of money and time to get it in the same offroad touring trim as the WR, and it's still going to be heavy and low. I'd pick the WR 10 times out of 10.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #30
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

The WR seems to be winning...

With the (uninvited) DRZ400 siphoning a few votes from both.

There is some pretty strong sentiment here. Maybe it's time to gauge the true loyalty of the WR proponents. Since the WR will cost me significantly more than the DR, how about we rehear the testimony with a $$$ PayPal contribution attached to each post?

I suppose it's time to start reading the WR250R thread to get an understanding of how mine would evolve.

Oh, and maybe I need to mention the pending 6 week absence to wifey.