User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
teach me about the northern Dallas/Fort Worth suburbs

Stu-wife is looking at a possible job in Lewisville, TX. We know nothing about the area; neither of us has visited Dallas in over 10 years. So a couple of questions:

1) what's lewisville like? suburbia-hell where it's all chain restaurants and overcrowded mall parking lots?

2) how old is the area? in a preliminary search of real estate, almost everything looked like it had been built in the past 20 years.

3) is there much in the way of local theatres (live), concert venues, or do you have to hike to downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth for that sort of stuff?

4) what's traffic like? how long does it take to get from lewisville to downtown dallas in rush hour?

5) how far further out do you have to go to be able to find a couple of acres?

any and all insights are appreciated.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I actually live in Lewisville. There are some decent areas and some ares you dont want to live in. Two neighboring cities ar Flower Mound And Highland Village. The housing is a bit more expensive than most of Lewisville, but not outragously over priced. The whole area is a typical suburb.

As far as concert venues, for any big name artists, you'll most likely be heading to Dallas or toward Fort Worth.

I actually work in down town Fort Worth. It's about a 45 - 55 minute drive with no traffic. Dallas is about 30 - 40 minutes with no traffic. I cant really say about getting to down town Dallas during rush hour. No accidents on the freeway, I'd say an hour. If there's an accident....... no idea.

If you're looking for acreage, depends on which direction you want to go. How much the land is depends how far out you want to drive. My parents bought some land about 8 years ago for 10,000 an acre about 35 miles north (40 minutes) of my house. Again, I'm about 30 minutes north of down town Dallas.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
Stu-wife is looking at a possible job in Lewisville, TX. We know nothing about the area; neither of us has visited Dallas in over 10 years. So a couple of questions:

1) what's lewisville like? suburbia-hell where it's all chain restaurants and overcrowded mall parking lots?

2) how old is the area? in a preliminary search of real estate, almost everything looked like it had been built in the past 20 years.

3) is there much in the way of local theatres (live), concert venues, or do you have to hike to downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth for that sort of stuff?

4) what's traffic like? how long does it take to get from lewisville to downtown dallas in rush hour?

5) how far further out do you have to go to be able to find a couple of acres?

any and all insights are appreciated.
1. Lewisville is ok, it sits on I35E that will eventuall take yoyu straight to downtown Dallas. Lots of stores, shopping etc. Little bit nice town right next door is Flower Mound. Its west/northwest of Lewisville, maybe 10-15 mins away from 35E. There is light rail but have no clue about that, its still pretty new. Lewisville is a good melting pot of cultures, I wouldnt say it has a bad area. My daughter teaches high school there and she likes it. Highland Village is directly north of Lewisville on 35E and on the southwest corner of the actual lake.

2. There are some nice areas to live in around most of the cities....new neighborhoods popping up everywhere. In reference to Flower Mound look at the west end of hwy 407 for some nicer areas.

3. In addition to mentioned concert venues there is the Winstar casion about 45 mins north just past the OK border.

4.TXRKC has it right, at least 45 mins to downtown on a good day. Over an hour every other time. Be prepared, someone got the lowdown on money and we are tearing up and widening freeways everywhere.

5. Up near Denton you can find property. Not sure what the latest acre is going for....From Denton add another 20-30 mins but thats not including the distance from Denton to start with. I live about 5 miles NW of Denton in the country. I don't have to go down 35E. I take 35W to DFW airport and its about 40 miles. It takes me 45 mins to get to work in the morning and and hour to get home. But the drive is worth the sunset and not having to ride a cycle over 45 mins just to get out of town....I'm there.

Cross post this in the regional forums and you will have plenty more input

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,670
I would look for a place near Argyle and the outer west limits of Denton..maybe around Bartonville. I-35 from Denton going north and south into/out of Dallas can be a big problem at times.

Mrs. Badge and I have very close friends living in Denton and we have thought about moving back to this area (I lived in DFW for 16 years.)
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
Mrs. Badge and I have very close friends living in Denton and we have thought about moving back to this area (I lived in DFW for 16 years.)

Go back to DFW and leave Rao's Bakery behind? Blasphemy!!

Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

on a side note, how fast can you reasonably ride on the interstate without attracting unwanted attention?

Here in Memphis, where the speed limit is 65, I typically cruise around 80-85 on my Futura and K1200.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
Cross post this in the regional forums and you will have plenty more input
Thanks for the suggestion, I had it moved
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
on a side note, how fast can you reasonably ride on the interstate without attracting unwanted attention?

Here in Memphis, where the speed limit is 65, I typically cruise around 80-85 on my Futura and K1200.
I cruise @ 75 daily omw back and forth to work.

Also, I'd second the Argyle area, but the land can be expensive. There's a lot of money moving into that area. Personally, I dont think too much of Denton, but maybe it's just me.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
For the periphery country living you could look halfway between Denton and Ft Worth near Tx Motor Speedway. The traffic is only a pain around 4 times a year and there are ways around it. If you live around Justin you can catch Hwy 114 and run it all the way to Irving and on into Dallas. Then you can start looking north towards Denton, Ponder, Krum, Sanger, Pilot Point, Aubrey. The last 2 are east/northeast of Denton and there is no quick way through Denton. These are all small towns and im recommending them for the land in the area not the towns themselves other than a quick grocery stop.

Denton is quirky. Has some nice neighborhoods, 2 colleges. Its kind of an artsy town, some good small music clubs. The streets suck....most towns streets are east west north south. Not Denton, they do that occasionally but then they throw some turns in there to take you in a different direction.....easy enough to learn, just takes some time to get where you're going.

Hauling ass depends on the routes. The over and over commuting routes you can learn the troopers/locals fishing spots. ALthough i'm not a big fan of the cable barriers between the opposite lanes on the interstates if I know there are nice flat areas I will run 80-85. Got to watch the frontage roads though. The cops will run on the 2ways watching the oncoming traffic on the interstate.

Good riding up to the north and out west but not alot of dirt other than county roads. Hill country starts 3 hours to the southwest, eastern OK and Ark are 3-4 hours north east. More good riding with more trees out east.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Do any of you FF's get together for the occasional dinner?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
JasonH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
A good list of the local get togethers is here:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,874
Denton to Downtown Cow Town in 45 minutes?

If I was to try and do that, I'd have to leave 2 hours before my time schedule.
Never sure if it would take 45 min, 45 min lane splitting and hauling ass (80 or more), or 3 hours. Most fucked up, inconsistent traffic I have ever seen. Someone with a flat tire on the shoulder and holy hell, 10 mile creep-a-long.

Carrollton to Denton during rush hour? Same thing.
Carrollton to Downtown> YUP...

Just about every major artery is a cluster fuck crapshoot.

Good thing about DFW is you are close (Texas standards) to good riding.
Like Scotty said, a few hours in any direction and you have some decent to kind fun riding.

If you want something and need it local.......lets just say, if you can't find it, you are not even remotely trying, or there is no such thing.

South Dallas is an embarrassment to, not only Texas, but Africa and Mexico are both ashamed.

There are some really good Inmates around that area, except for CodyY, some moderator smoking Micky Mouse skelton dude, dont let Psyclops get the camp fire started, get into a technical discussion about exhaust with one of the tattoo Harley riding dude with the glasses. Try and barter for VonHelm to break out the Green Egg! I try and offer labor for the ribs

Oh, some really fun gravel roads north x northeast.

I have a fantastic (again, Texas standards) route to the Sam Houston forrest. About a 350 mile day, and some decent eateries along the way.

I like DFW better than Houston, but down here the riding is better....yes, by Texas standards.

Texas standards....are....well.....motohousoton.com riders think racing around a clover loop in downtown is "the bomb". . The hill country is extremely dangerous and riders die 3 times a day there.

The rest of the mountainous country riders get a chuckle of this.
It takes 5 working days to cross the state......fucking place is massive! Lots of cool shit to see once you get away form the stupid suburbanites. Big Bend, top notch place. Up near the NM border is cool as hell, and is damned near as hot as hell too.

Ask Von Helm to describe "Texas Tire Syndrome" to you
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
Denton to Downtown Cow Town in 45 minutes?
I thought you were going to Idaho or Montanna? Did you get lost again?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,980
Stu,

We have monthly "beer meets" and maybe more often if someone is coming into town.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853035

Do you know what part of Dallas your wife will be working in? Could make a big difference in what area you want to look at.
Spread your arms and hold you breath
And always trust your cape (Guy Clark)
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote