ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #121
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,999
yep this is what honda meant when they said "larger"
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/09/2...north-america/
as in physical size not engine size.

as for the next auto-cruiser in Honda's line-up, it's not as fugly as the DN-01 and auto w/ high fuel-efficiency is better accepted now.
there are plenty of new riders who could embrace very low seat seat and not needing to switch gears. most people own auto cars these days so the idea of switching gears is foreign to most noobs...then add to the fact this is the land of cruisers and their friends probably have a cruisers anyway.

I think the biggest problem with the DN-01 was not he auto but rather the freaky looks with that big nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I guess this proves that the DN01 was ahead of it's time. Either that or Honda hasn't learned from it's past



__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #122
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
yep this is what honda meant when they said "larger"
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/09/2...north-america/
as in physical size not engine size.

as for the next auto-cruiser in Honda's line-up, it's not as fugly as the DN-01 and auto w/ high fuel-efficiency is better accepted now.
there are plenty of new riders who could embrace very low seat seat and not needing to switch gears. most people own auto cars these days so the idea of switching gears is foreign to most noobs...then add to the fact this is the land of cruisers and their friends probably have a cruisers anyway.

I think the biggest problem with the DN-01 was not he auto but rather the freaky looks with that big nose.
I think that new one´s also a really weird-looking thing, at least on the picture... but pictures do lie, might have to see one for real first.

Honda sure do have new models coming up at a high rate (compared to the rest of the Japanese manufacturers anyway).
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #123
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,999
the 700X is up $500 for 2013 but the 700XD (auto & abs) was reduced by $500.
the difference (for adding auto and abs) is now only $1000 (vrs 2k in 2012).
that tells me honda sees auto/abs as their future, if there reducing the price of it (while increasing the base model)
i'd buy one for my wife who want to learn to ride but has no interest in a clutch.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/nc700x/options.aspx
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:17 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #124
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I think that new one´s also a really weird-looking thing, at least on the picture... but pictures do lie, might have to see one for real first.

Honda sure do have new models coming up at a high rate (compared to the rest of the Japanese manufacturers anyway).
yeah i'd agree it's not a beauty queen but the looks are not flat out strange.
if you want auto and want to cruise then these are your 2 bikes. there is another w/o a fairing that in black looks decent.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/08...up-first-look/

honda has released alot of bikes but in the low price point to aggressively maintain their overall sales. even though they are not the fancy expensive models it's good to see a Japanese company do this. honda sure sat on it's hands forever with nothing new prior to this.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:18 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #125
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I guess this proves that the DN01 was ahead of it's time. Either that or Honda hasn't learned from it's past



The biggest problem with the DN01 was its $15,000 price tag. The new CTX is $8000. That's huge.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #126
Triumpher
n00b
 
Triumpher's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of sky blue water, Hamm's
Oddometer: 9
Althought the DN01 looks simular to the CTX700 the bikes are worlds apart, cost maintnance and performance wise. I think that Honda was going after a v twin market, and found a small following for the DN-01.
This new paralell twin is going after new markets which are driven by value and fun, the comuter is fickle regarding perceptions of coworkers and family. Sounds boring to be a comuter, which is more mainstream than "Adventurer" or "Macho". So there is a market for those who want an entry to enjoy what we know to be true, 2 wheels rock. Not everyone will want this bike but it is an alterantive.
I have not seen how this bike fuels yet....is it being down played?
BigE


Triumpher screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:06 PM Reason: Fuel cap
Triumpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #127
noitallal
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 7
Naked version. Not sure what to think. It's different.




http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-conten...03-500x387.jpg
noitallal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #128
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 177
I rode the NC700 back to back with the DL650, no choose there, DL all the way! The NC700 is a city bike period. Rowing threw all the gears so quickly reminded me of a two stroke, except without the power or speed or in other words FUN. The engine is not flexible with a 6,500 redline and the vibration is present everywhere but between 3-4 thousand rpm's, hmm.., what was I saying about a two stroke? Handles great around town and cruising at 70mph is smooth, very smooth, but even with Hondas tall shield, the wind coverage is bad, not to mention seat to pegs length is cramped unless you have legs like a chimp. This is probably a great maxi-scooter engine. Come to think of with a CVT speed is dependent on rpm's, so it may not be that hot after all. I thought about the ride all the way home and why I didn't like it. The bike and engine just seems to lack Honda quality. I am looking forward to the 500cc bikes hitting the showroom. I wish them luck with the CTX, but baby, that is the wrong engine for that bike!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #129
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
I rode the NC700 back to back with the DL650, no choose there, DL all the way! The NC700 is a city bike period. Rowing threw all the gears so quickly reminded me of a two stroke, except without the power or speed or in other words FUN. The engine is not flexible with a 6,500 redline and the vibration is present everywhere but between 3-4 thousand rpm's, hmm.., what was I saying about a two stroke? Handles great around town and cruising at 70mph is smooth, very smooth, but even with Hondas tall shield, the wind coverage is bad, not to mention seat to pegs length is cramped unless you have legs like a chimp. This is probably a great maxi-scooter engine. Come to think of with a CVT speed is dependent on rpm's, so it may not be that hot after all. I thought about the ride all the way home and why I didn't like it. The bike and engine just seems to lack Honda quality. I am looking forward to the 500cc bikes hitting the showroom. I wish them luck with the CTX, but baby, that is the wrong engine for that bike!
Not surprising. Honda took a 4 banger out of an econobox Honda Fit and cut it half. It's not surprising that the end result is uninspiring as a motorcycle engine.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #130
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob
 
ducatirdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Sutton MA
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
The engine is not flexible with a 6,500 redline and the vibration is present everywhere but between 3-4 thousand rpm's, hmm..,
They were targeting former Buell owners.


I can laugh at my own joke.
__________________
04 Buell XB12R - Feels fast but isn't = Good street sport bike
12 KTM 350EXC-F - Enduro machine with plate so I can ride to the trails near my house
13 Triumph Tiger 800XC - Sold after clutch stranded me at 4K miles in Berkshires
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #131
precarious
Studly Adventurer
 
precarious's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
They were targeting former Buell owners.


I can laugh at my own joke.
We will laugh together.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #132
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,734
I saw a NC700x with the DCT at the library on Sunday. 1st time that I have seen one on the street. Looked really nice.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #133
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Not surprising. Honda took a 4 banger out of an econobox Honda Fit and cut it half. It's not surprising that the end result is uninspiring as a motorcycle engine.
I am amazed how much technical information has been released on the NC engine and yet how one remark has assumed factoid status.

Just about everything in technical detail that appeared for the last year on the NC700s was given out at the world press debut in Spain and it was there that the NC project leader Uchida made this remark: "I got a hacksaw and cut a Jazz engine in half, but it didn't really run very well so we had to put some more work into the NC700X". It was a throw away remark made half in jest but it has been endlessly repeated because it was made in a room full of journalists and it made it into print and onto the web. That in itself does not make it any more true than it was at the time it was said.

If you understand engines you know that the NC engine and the Jazz/Fit/City engines share virtually nothing in detail. The 270 degree crankshaft arrangement is different, the valve train is different, the fuel delivery system is different, the electrical generating system is different, the water pump is driven differently, etc, etc.

The only detail that is the same is the bore diameter of the 1339 cc auto engine. Other commonalities in the relationship between the NC and the Jazz is the oversquare dimension of the bore and stroke which is common in auto engines (and old fashioned v twins of all makes) and the approximate 1/2 displacement of a 1.3 liter Jazz engine sold in the EC and USA. To date there have been a total of 4 engines available in the Jazz worldwide and the displacement varies from 1246 cc to 1496 cc. Some are VTEC, some are dual spark, 8 or 16 valve. Lots of variation. It isn't "half a Jazz engine" to someone with knowledge of engines.

In comparison to the immensely popular and capable DL650.... in actual use there is little performance difference between the two bikes unless you regularly wind out the Suzuki and if you do that the Honda is just a second and half about 5 mph slower thru the quarter mile than the Wee and in the motorcycle world, no 650 rocks the world anyway. We are talking about 100 mph quarter mile times in this class. It's rare to ride to redline in day to day use so performance differences in normal riding matter little. These are different motorcycles with appeal to different types of riders. If you have a need for speed....what are you doing on a 650 anyway?
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #134
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,440
Same bore, same stroke, similar redline and similar uninspiring power band.

I get that it is more complicated than just "sawing an engine in half" but the point is that it uses the Fit engine as the launch point for it's design, and car engines are built with different dynamics and different design compromises. It's dull but efficient. Personally my bikes are toys and Fuel Economy takes second place to fun, so I'll take a V-Twin over any parellel twin.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #135
dduelin
Oh boy that was close
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Shaft City
Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Same bore, same stroke, similar redline and similar uninspiring power band.

I get that it is more complicated than just "sawing an engine in half" but the point is that it uses the Fit engine as the launch point for it's design, and car engines are built with different dynamics and different design compromises. It's dull but efficient. Personally my bikes are toys and Fuel Economy takes second place to fun, so I'll take a V-Twin over any parellel twin.
Still a bit off the mark. The stroke is not the same ...... and you do know what a 270 degree crank mimics? A V-twin, the firing order is the same, it matters not the orientation of the cylinders. I think what you mean to say is you like to rev past 6,500 rpm which is OK. I get that.
__________________
Triumph Tiger 800
Honda ST1300
Honda CH80

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014