Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #346
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Moto Mickey & theleon: Thank for posting those pictures!

Neither screen comes with the instrument panel surrounds or the GPS mounts ...
Those were separate projects right?
The Mirage 2 fairing comes with an 'instrument panel/dashboard'. Your GPS mounts to the panel.

http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...ucts/mirage214
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #347
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 48
Contrary there is no GPS mount for the Desierto so I made a plate that mounts on the two top screws.
It is quite stable and gives a nice view to the GPS when driving.
thleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #348
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Thanks guys!
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #349
TXalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
GPS mounted to windscreen bracket?

I like the idea of having the GPS (a Montana in my case, landscape mode) sitting above the instrument cluster, just like with those Desierto or Mirage fairings. Has anyone mounted their GPS to the (standard, i.e. non-touring) windscreen bracket? I am thinking about cutting a piece of sheetmetal to fabricate a bracket that would attach to the four windscreen mounting screws, come over the instruments and then up at an angle to provide a mount point for the AMPS mount.

I have seen a couple of 1200GS's with such a setup, but the windscreen mount is a lot sturdier on the 1200. So does that sound like a terrible idea? In terms of vibration or stability? I am running a taller windscreen right now, so height shouldn't be a problem. Although I'll probably have to come back quite a bit to fit underneath the curvature of the screen.

Any thoughts?
thleon - your setup sounds similar (except for the Desierto base). Do you have any more detailed pics?

Alex
TXalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #350
thleon
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXalex View Post
I like the idea of having the GPS (a Montana in my case, landscape mode) sitting above

Any thoughts?
thleon - your setup sounds similar (except for the Desierto base). Do you have any more detailed pics?

Alex
Hi Alex

I don't think that you can make something steady enough in order to mount a GPS on the standard screen mount. It is made out of plastic in order to be flexible.

The Desierto and Mirage solution have extra mountings in order to be more stable. The Mirage has a ready GPS mount position the Desierto not.

So I made a plate and bolted in on the Desierto mounting. I will post some picts about the procedure.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #351
thleon
Theo

Here there are some picts from the procedure

First a piece of metal curved and drilled to mount the GPS base

I covered it with a 3M carbon look sticker

Bolted on Desierto on top rubber bolts

This is a side view

Finally the Desierto plastic cover bold on

Hope that is clear enough
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #352
TXalex
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thleon View Post
Here there are some picts from the procedure

First a piece of metal curved and drilled to mount the GPS base
[...]

Hope that is clear enough
Yes, thanks for the pictures! That is indeed what I had in mind. Although you are right - compared to the Desierto fairing, the stock bracket looks too flimsy to support a GPS. I guess, I was/am hoping that somebody else could prove me wrong :-)

Alex
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #353
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thleon View Post
... I covered it with a 3M carbon look sticker
That's cheating!!!!
I love it!!!
I didn't know 3M made that stuff....
I need a roll of that
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #354
TXalex
Adventurer

DIY - mount above instrument cluster

OK, as I mentioned in my earlier post - I really like the idea of having the GPS up above the instrument cluster (like with Desierto, Mirage fairings or like on some 1200GS). In fact, I wanted that really badly, for whatever reason. Since I couldn't find any commercial solution I built one myself. Well, I tried. I thought I share it here, maybe someone else finds this useful.

Obviously, several aftermarket fairings exist, that provide this option as a side effect, but I have to admit that I personally don't really like the looks of them. No offense, just my personal taste.

Others suggested that the stock screen mount on the 800GS is likely too flimsy to support any kind of GPSr mount bracket. And after doing this install, I am inclined to agree. The BMW Touring screen comes with an extra bracket that could potentially be repurposed, but I didn't want to shell out the $$$ just for a bent piece of metal to jury rig my GPS to. I reckoned, I could do something similar, though.
So I took a length of flat steel band I got from the hardware store (HomeDepot, Lowes or your local ACE-type shop should sell them). I went with the 3/4" wide, 1/8" thick band, which seems to be a perfect fit. Make sure you use the plain one, zinc-plated steel is a PITA to paint, as I found out :-(. I bent that in an right-anle U shape just wide enough to go over the instrument cluster. Bend the bottom ends outwards so they end up right on the mounting brackets for the windscreen on the left and right fairing. Drill a hole on each end of the U-shaped bar to align with the existing hole of the Windscreen mount and use the original screws, they seem to be long enough. Here's a picture (for that earlier, zinc-plated version)

Then, I took a piece of 22ga sheet metal and bent it so that it would sit on top of the bracket shown above and go down just behind the wind screen, resting against the existing plastic screen mount bracket. I made it narrow enough to just fit into the straight portion of the plastic bracket. I then drilled two holes through the horizontal portion of the plastic bracket as well as through my sheet metal piece. I actually made the sheet long enough to fit my bulky EZ-Tag onto the same piece (sticky-taped and zip tied into place). Some priming and spray painting later, I attached a RAM mount diamond base to the top of my U-bracket, where it overlaps with the piece of sheet metal. The mounting screws connect the three parts and hold everything in place.

Onto that, I mounted the Garmin AMPS mount using the short (2"?) RAM arm, which just fits below the windscreen. The weight is now (hopefully) supported by the U-bracket and ultimately by the fairing/screen mount points. It is kept in place by the sheet metal bracket and through that by the plastic windscreen mount. That shouldn't be bearing any load, so I hope it wont rip apart on the first stretch of gravel road.

Note that this might give too tight a fit with the stock windscreen. I use the taller Powerbronze one, which gives me just a tad more clearance.

Here is a final picture from the rider's perspective. Thanks to the Ram mount, there is plenty of variability in the positioning. I have a Garmin Montana, but this setup should work for pretty much any GPS. In fact, I'd say the Garmin with mount is one of the heavier/bulkier ones.

Alex
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #355
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
here ya go

Here's my setup. It's the Scotts Steering Damper mounts with Touratech GPS bar and Montana Mount on top...Works great for 1500 miles...

Despite initial view...I can see LCD display and from about 4k+ on the tach....

Untitled by coloktmGS, on Flickr

Untitled by coloktmGS, on Flickr
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #356
Jakkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Touratech cross bar and touratech lockable mount

Jakkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #357
Spektrum84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I see very few people using a smart phone as a GPS device. I was curious about using an android phone with open source map data so it wouldn't continuously pull data from a cell network. Today's phones should have more than enough power to look at map data, calculate routes, and give turn by turn directions over a Bluetooth headset. NavFree claims to work for this but has anyone tried it?
I don't venture off pavement much so I don't have too much concern for vibrations, and I don't have a problem putting the phone in a tank bag if the weather turns south.
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #358
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I haven't tried it, but the two most common drawbacks I have heard are that the screen is not bright enough and that in hot riding conditions the phone will sometimes overheat and shut down.

A buddy tried his iPhone and had both of those issues, but some other phones may work fine...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #359
Spektrum84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
My old iPhone 3GS gets very warm if I'm using the GPS for extended periods, by maybe newer phones are more efficient and may not generate the same amount of heat.
If audio enabled turn by turn is the most useful part of navigation while riding because its less distracting than looking at the screen to see the next exit in route, then having less than a super bright screen is ok with me.
This is one of those times I would like to try out the voice command systems in iPhones vs android. These new phones work very well as all-in-one devices and we pay a premium for their capabilities. Seems silly to pay hundreds more for another device that may perform 1 of the same functions with the additional benefit of being water proof :-/
So I want a waterproof phone with voice commands for GPS guidence software that can use open source map data that can be stored on the phone's internal memory or SD card. Sony managed to create a "water proof" phone, and there are companies out there that offer "nano" coatings for phones and tablets. Seems the only issues would be voice commands to 3rd party software.
Why can't technology advance faster?
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #360
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum84 View Post
... Why can't technology advance faster?
yeah ... what you said ...