Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
lesman OP
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 483
Converting a H1 & H3 HID bulb to a H4 HID BUlb

Hi all,
I have a Guzzi Quota. I converted the H1 & H3 headlights to HID. It was stupid easy. The relectors in the stock Quota headlight are so bad that after converting to HID the low beam is probably no even as good as a flashlight. The high beam is good. I bought a FZR headlight. It supposed to to a huge improvement. It's an H4. The yamaha setup is a single light. I want to go a H4 Bi xenon setup. Can I buy just a bulb replacement using my existing ballast setup? or do I need to buy another"kit". I'm running a dual relay setup for the existing H1 & H3 setup. My relays are 5 pin . I could use the 87a to power the highbeam and drop down to one relay. I'm also running a Fuzeblock(great product) to power all my secondary wiring. Most of the "cheap" HId kets are being shipped out of China. They have a 25-25 day lag time.
I'm trying avoid trial and error if anyone has the knowledge of what trying I'm to do , please help.

Thanks,
Les
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 488
Real H4s have two filaments, and the low has a Graves shield under the filament so the light is directed into the top half of the reflector only.

H4 "replacement" HIDs have a little cage with a servo to switch from low to high with only one capsule. The cage acts as a Graves shield and then the capsule slides back out of its way when you switch to high beam. It's still there, though, and it still blocks some of the light you should get on high, screwing up the pattern. My V-Strom had a set on it when I bought it. The high kinda sucked--it was more like the low had just moved up. The low was OK, but I switched back to standard bulbs and don't regret it at all.

Since your H1/H3 capsules don't have the servo system built in, you'll probably have to replace the whole setup. You'd definitely need the servo controller.

I'd recommend trying a $4 H4 bulb before deciding to go to HID. It'll also get you through the 25-day wait from China if you do decide to go HID.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
lesman OP
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 483
Thanks for the info. The Quota has a pretty small charging system. Stock bulb is 35w . I changed the tail ight to LED's. I should be able change to a 55w bulb while I sort this out.
On my Strom , I'm running a Eastern Beaver dual relay setup with a Stock bulbs.My Strom has the best stock headlights of any bike that I've owned. I never felt the need to upgrade to HID.

Thanks,
Les
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,531
Contact Bruno at FutureHID in Canada - what he doesn't know about HIDs probably doesn't exist!
He's got a big thread of valuable Q&A in Vendors.