ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 747
Accessing White Peak NM

Several of you chimed in with some very helpful tips and tracks for accessing CTD northbound from outside Dell City Texas. As part of the ride I am planning, want to touch CO, and drop back down New Mexico via White Peak, and heading down through all the national forests, landing back in Dell City again.

Mapping tracks to get to White Peak looks pretty tricky.....I assume you need to access via Angel Fire and noodle your way down? Any thoughts about routes to contine working South towards Guadalupe Mts? I know there were some land access issues a few years ago with White Peak, but I think those were resolved. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Google Earth shows a really nice over look.

Located here.

Some pics of trying to get to White Peak - our small group will be on 650 singles.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,231
That is a hard area to make tracks in. From the looks of it you would still be in the carson. If that it true, then you are dealing with trail management. That means a lot of the tracks are closed to OHV. But the up side is that the open trails should be on a Carson NF map. You can get those directly from the FS.

A number of years ago I tried to scope out off highway routes heading to the south east of Angle fire. There are a few in the high country. But nothing that really is attractive. I never looked on the east side of I 25. There might be some great OHV routes over there.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
That is a hard area to make tracks in. From the looks of it you would still be in the carson. If that it true, then you are dealing with trail management. That means a lot of the tracks are closed to OHV. But the up side is that the open trails should be on a Carson NF map. You can get those directly from the FS.

A number of years ago I tried to scope out off highway routes heading to the south east of Angle fire. There are a few in the high country. But nothing that really is attractive. I never looked on the east side of I 25. There might be some great OHV routes over there.

Hair, that is a very good suggestion to get some NF maps. I am ok with staying on any public dirt roads, as opposed to trails. I dont mind having to bail and take some paved roads as needed also. I will look into the NF maps and also look along the east side of I-25. Thanks!

DocAxeYarYar screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 09:09 PM
DocAxeYarYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,525
There remain a lot of access issues in the WP area. The state tried to trade the trust land, there is private land, easements, lawsuits. It a mess. You might call the office of the NM commissioner of public lands for a map. I know they put together a map to show the problems with the roads.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Dropping down Rio Grande River Rec Area? Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
There remain a lot of access issues in the WP area. The state tried to trade the trust land, there is private land, easements, lawsuits. It a mess. You might call the office of the NM commissioner of public lands for a map. I know they put together a map to show the problems with the roads.
Thanks for the additional info! I will give that a try and see if they can get a map out to me. We are not totally bent on getting to Whites Peak, but looks like some great, and remote, riding out that way. Dropping down south I noticed some roads intersect the Santa Fe Trail which is cool.

Also looking at dropping down along the Rio Grande Wild River Rec Area, to work our way over to Angel Fire
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,231
If you decide to ride south on the east side of I-25 you might try the DeLorme map for New Mexico, titled the: New Mexico Atlas and Gazetteer.
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...QYJB_%253AS%7E

And the New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas.
http://www.amazon.com/Benchmark-Mexi.../dp/0929591429\

I use to use these to references for hunting and making routes. In the days of GPS and google earth one tends to forget some of the other resources that are out there. But if a route exists it will be in one of these two books.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
khalidthesoljah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
You can access white peak from two directions, from the south in Ocate, or north at Rayado. I would recommend coming from the north and going down into Ocate. If you follow state route 21 out of Cimarron once you get to Rayado the road turns directly east at miami lake, theres a big gate and you just open it up and drive through, in a couple miles there is another gate, go west and just follow the road to white peak. Its an awesome ride, beautiful and totally empty.
khalidthesoljah is offline   Reply With Quote