ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #19366
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
I am stuck in Arizona just five more days.
It's riding weather down here though.
But nowhere to rent a bike.

Maybe a good thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #19367
cruiseroutfit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
...Anyone ever explored in the roads and trails near the lewis peak near Coalville?

For a good starting point type "Franklin Canyon Road, Coalville, UT" into google earth app. Then move south. Looks like some possibly neat stuff for when the snow melts...

On that note anyone ever sledded from Tollgate Canyon up to Lewis Peak and/or attempted it? Just put together a little route that I thought would be fun....
Yup, via 4x4. Spunks cabin is just ~3/4 mile SW of the peak. Gated on both sides of the mountain year round through I know you can get up there on a sled in the winter.
ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

cruiseroutfit screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 04:21 PM
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #19368
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
Bump.

Is it really that dead out there?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #19369
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,041
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #19370
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,711
I went to Wyoming this year instead of La Paz........Lent and Easter are really early this year.....

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #19371
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I doubt a cow with six teats is going to be very impressed by your wife.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #19372
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,117
six teats would be pretty cool! My stupid cows only had 4...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #19373
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
six teats would be pretty cool! My stupid cows only had 4...
I'll take your word for it. You seem to be an authority on the subject.
I'm a city boy. I guess if you've seen one you've seen all three or
something like that.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #19374
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
So, a man from Montana walks into his house holding a sheep under one arm.

His wife sees the sheep and screams, "Why you bringin' that filthy animal in here?"

"This is the pig I've been keeping with when I'm not with you." He replies.

"That's not a pig, it's a sheep!" She insists.

The man looks from the sheep then back to his wife and says:

"I wasn't talking to you."
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #19375
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
MTN Bike Trip

Fellas,

I'm heading an expedition down to St. George next weekend for some mountain biking. My wife is giving me a pass since our baby is due in March.

We're going to ride 2-3 trails in SG on Friday and then Gooseberry Mesa on Saturday.

If any of you able-bodied fellas want to meet us down there, the more the merrier.

There's about 4-5 locals going down and we're meeting some guys from Vegas, too.

PM me for details.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #19376
Roostre
Discombobulated

Wicked Watch out for Rhinos!!

Well Matt- word is that they are running Dutchmans. I watched the videos and I'm pretty sure we ran it 2 or 3 years ago at the RR.

Not sure the 690 deserves that kind of abuse. Particularly since I failed to get a 14 tooth sprocket and a better chain guide/guard.

The guy I sold my Wr250 to is trying to talk me into going and riding it. (He will lend it to me.) BUT, he won't tell me how much I would owe him if I totaled the thing. He also set up the suspension for 170 lb guy and I am well... slightly over that by about 100 lbs with gear on.

So the questions are :

Orange or Blue??
Who will be out at Knolls tomorrow?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #19377
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Well Matt- word is that they are running Dutchmans. I watched the videos and I'm pretty sure we ran it 2 or 3 years ago at the RR.

Not sure the 690 deserves that kind of abuse. Particularly since I failed to get a 14 tooth sprocket and a better chain guide/guard.

The guy I sold my Wr250 to is trying to talk me into going and riding it. (He will lend it to me.) BUT, he won't tell me how much I would owe him if I totaled the thing. He also set up the suspension for 170 lb guy and I am well... slightly over that by about 100 lbs with gear on.

So the questions are :

Orange or Blue??
Who will be out at Knolls tomorrow?

Dutchmans is where my 990 met its end. I wouldn't take a 690 down it unless you want to do some repairs.

I may not be headed down, I am moving my warehouse and may have to do the final move that weekend. If I don't go you can borrow my 250sx if you want. The suspension may be a little soft though buy should be ridable. The other option is run novice and do one loop.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #19378
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Dutchmans is where my 990 met its end. I wouldn't take a 690 down it unless you want to do some repairs.

I may not be headed down, I am moving my warehouse and may have to do the final move that weekend. If I don't go you can borrow my 250sx if you want. The suspension may be a little soft though buy should be ridable. The other option is run novice and do one loop.
Sorry to hear you might have to move a moving company!!

I think I will ride the WR250. I'm not racing anyways- I just want to get out and ride.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #19379
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Not sure if any of you guys have seen this, but there's a bill moving in Salt Lake to put Canyonlands under Federal protection.

http://le.utah.gov/~2013/bills/sbillint/SJR010.htm

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23975250&nid=960
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
It's just a resolution and has no actual legal impact. A resolution basically means "we all agree on a statement" and that most likely it won't be accepted by the Utah legislature.

I will say that with the appointment of the head of REI to lead the interior department that there is a very strong chance that Canyonlands national monument is a very likely reality. The interests of the national monument is to reduce the amount of OHV trails/roads (goal #1 in importance) and to prevent mineral and oil extraction (goal #2, with potash being the biggest issue right now). She already has bi-partisan support from the oil and outdoors industries. Unless something crazy happens, she is likely to be approved as it currently looks.

We've been going through the greater Canyonlands proposal and it seeks to close 40% of the OHV trails. Let me repeat, 40% of the trails there. Including some incredibly important motorized and OHV routes that are world class and would be real losses. I'm a skier and outdoors person and I'm all for protecting Canyonlands and support some of the activities of the outdoor industry, but it's just too radical.

Anyway, our access in this area is in real trouble.

This is what happens when we elect radicals to represent us and to be the voice of the OHV industry for access: no one listens to them and they have no voice whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
Radical or moderate, those whom we elect (barring the president) have no authority whatsoever on the subject. The problem is that National Monuments are designated by presidential fiat.
On this link is the best rebuttal to the radical enviro-nazi attempt to expand / create the Greater Canyonlands National Monument. The guy who wrote this rebuttal is well acquainted with the area:

Quote:
My name is Lynn Jackson. I have lived and worked in southeastern Utah since 1964, in Carbon, Wayne and Grand counties. I was a geologist, supervisor and manager for the Bureau of Land Management in Hanksville and Moab for 32 years, retiring in 2010. I now do public land consulting, and in November was elected to the Grand County Council. My Council term does not start until January 2013, and my comments herein are my own, based on my own experience in this area, and are not intended to reflect the position of Grand County.

Now if only the folks in the Utah Legislature - and in Washington DC - would read it!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #19380
Roostre
Discombobulated

Nice read acidman. I have sent letters to my congress critters and submitted public comments... not sure anyone is though.

Went out to Knolls today. Snow is deepest I have ever seen it out there. Some sand was peeking through, but very little. Bowls had drifted in and it was 18"-24". Made for some interesting crashes and riding technique.

Probably not worth the drive out there for a few more weeks at least. Oh well, we tried.