Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
If it hasn't rained in a while then the first 15-30 minutes can be extremely slippery as the film of oil that's collected on the road since the last rain comes to the surface before it runs off. If it hasn't rained in a while then it's a good idea not to ride for the next 30 minutes.

Aside from that, and depending upon your tires, you have a lot of traction available in the rain. Not as much as on dry but more than you think.

At least on my bikes, hydroplaning won't occur until I get up into higher speeds (like 65+) because bikes have relatively skinny rounded tires as opposed to car tires that have a flat wide surface.

If it's raining relatively hard and/or there's lots of water on the road then you can lose all visibility passing semis on Interstates in the adjacent lane, especially at night. I refer to it as "spray and pray."

I agree that it's best to take it easy when riding in the wet.

duck screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 01:24 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 119
Love comment in the video clip 'maybe I should put my liner on', on boats and bikes everybody I think does that. (if your thinking about, you should be doing it.........but we don't)

Tend to avoid highways and major routes if I can, and the less traveled a paved road is, the more likely it will offer less traction in the rain. Learn to read a road and what type of debris with be washing across, or have washed acrossed, or accumulated; where one road can be like ice wet due to clay, moss, dead leaves, etc, another road can be rinsed clean by the rain and offer fantastic traction.

Also scan the condition of 4 wheelers windows around you, humid conditions can cause some very poor visibility. Assume any cage with fogged windows can not see you at all.

Or just have a nap well the worst of the rain passes,

Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Manhole covers are sometimes forced up and out of position by water, the front wheel finding that hole would not be a good time.
I rode over an open manhole here a while back. I was following too close and it magically appeared from under the car in front. 65mph and I braced for the end of the world. I barely felt it and just skipped over! I think it would have been very different on a moped!

I think my stars were aligned. It could have had a very different outcome.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
c3eh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
No I will definitely not hesitate to ride in the rain one problem I don't have proper gear yet. I also don't like the idea of my bike just sitting in rain without a cover. But thats coming from a picky person well picky about my stuff I own. Guess I will get over it

I'm trying to plan a cross country trip for the summer so obviously I'll meet rain eventually

This was an informal what do experienced people think. and I appreciate all the responses they are all good so far

The commentary that guy was doing in the video that was posted was pretty funny

but I know one thing indecision may or may not be my problem.....
c3eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 285
Treat it like a car in snow

Go Easy watch for hazards that the rain can amplify.. Good examples in the previous posts I would add steel bridges get wicked slick as do those black RR Xings.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Motorcycling is more dangerous when it is raining

Reduced visibility, reduced traction........

Take it easy, be aware and anticipate well in advance, be gentle with your braking and manoeuvring inputs, increase the distance between yourself and other vehicles (double the 2 second rule to 4 seconds)........

Manage the risk, and you should be fine.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,915
My advice: take it easy. If you are a new rider, get some throttle time in. When you are comfortable with riding, ride on wet streets just after a rain or in a very light rain. And work up from there-- a little more rain, a bit higher speeds, a bit more traffic density. You'll be nervous at first, it's all about new sensations. And if it gets too heavy, pull over-- you'll find your limits for the weather, road conditions and "your Spidey Sense". Don't laugh-- that is just the naggy little voice in the back of your head that you'll develop. And of course, good boots, good raingear and a good helmet/visor goes a long way.

And all the advice above.

--Bill
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Had a few storms roll through the area today and I decided to go for a ride for no reason. As long as you have proper gear and are aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine. The best thing about riding out in the rain is that the traffic is low and I didn't see another motorcycle the entire time. My black bike now has grey stripes from the dirty road water.
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9GVXydp3c

A bike can do a lot more than what we tend to think it can. Just learn to ride the bike and discover your tire's potential in a safe environment. After that, on the street you'll know where the edge is, and then its all up to you, how hard you want to push it.

Of course besides the traction and the bike control, there is real life, of bad visibly, slidey drivers, and just other hazards that come up during the rain, that you can not control.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
My advice: take it easy. If you are a new rider, get some throttle time in. When you are comfortable with riding, ride on wet streets just after a rain or in a very light rain.
I'm sorry but if it hasn't rained in a while then this can be some REALLY, REALLY bad advice. This is when your traction will be the absolute worst as the oil that's formed a film on the dry surface will come to the top before it runs off. In fact, the harder it rains, the better off you are traction-wise during the first 30 minutes or so of rain.

I live in Seattle where it rains on and off more or less all of the time ten months out of the year so it's rarely an issue for us but after a couple of weeks in July or August when it hasn't rained I wouldn't even consider riding in a light rain. I would literally take a bus or walk before I'd get anywhere near a bike under those conditions.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
if i'm on a trip and not camping

i like riding in the rain

right gear on

little traffic

no clay roads

can be beautiful

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
i'm sorry but if it hasn't rained in a while then this can be some really, really bad advice. This is when your traction will be the absolute worst as the oil that's formed a film on the dry surface will come to the top before it runs off. In fact, the harder it rains, the better off you are traction-wise during the first 30 minutes or so of rain.

I live in seattle where it rains on and off more or less all of the time ten months out of the year so it's rarely an issue for us but after a couple of weeks in july or august when it hasn't rained i wouldn't even consider riding in a light rain. I would literally take a bus or walk before i'd get anywhere near a bike under those conditions.
+1
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #28
c3eh OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9GVXydp3c

A bike can do a lot more than what we tend to think it can. Just learn to ride the bike and discover your tire's potential in a safe environment. After that, on the street you'll know where the edge is, and then its all up to you, how hard you want to push it.

Of course besides the traction and the bike control, there is real life, of bad visibly, slidey drivers, and just other hazards that come up during the rain, that you can not control.
That was a really cool video, I am impressed they have so much traction in water really never would've guessed.

Also I know that if it hasn't rained in awhile oil comes to the top, i know i said i was a noob but to riding in the rain. and i did take drivers ed back in high school that was on the test.
Although you have to be more conscious on 2 wheels to not ride center lane position I'll give all of you who mentioned oil credit there.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,986
When it first starts raining it can get scary greasy. If I have tires that are low on rubber I tend to tip-toe around. Otherwise rain doesn't bother me at all. Cold rain maybe.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
c3eh OP
Adventurer

Fishenough

I think you had more protection on the motorcycle than from that shack