Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Can't go wrong with AZ. March is probably the best month here.
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Given the date/time you have and location AR is the best bet, hands down. The state has great riding! The roads lack the curve count of the eastern mtns but are really fun to ride as they have lots of roller coaster style ups & downs and plenty of twisties too. The spring weather is agreeable there in March. Also some very good roads in S MO. I'd concentrate on the NW quadrant of AR & SW corner of MO.AR has some state brochure type material for bikers & also look @ www.motorcycleroads.us.com for planning. Enjoy!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
pkbinder
Helga The Red

Oddometer: 269
Moab for dirt, Texas Hill Country for twisties.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,330
Have fun and keep it safe. I went on spring break and never went back .
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,330
And that was 1993 ha.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
The Real McCoy
The Real McCoy

Oddometer: 23
[QUOTE=soapboxracer;20641674]hi, im new to the forum and was hoping to find some advise.

my buddy and i are in our senior year of college at NDSU. we want to plan a motorcycle trip for our spring break. being from fargo, we are planning on trailering our bikes south somewhere so we can find 3 to 4 days of good riding. we are looking for tarmac curves and 60+ degrees. also, we are poor college kids and need to keep the cost down.

thanks in advance for your advise. im really looking forward to your suggestions[/QUOTE

The Real McCoy Trails Dual Sport/Sport Touring trails will be kicking off with the 2nd season for 3 great days of Backwoods riding plus Hatfield McCoy feud site guided and narrated tours. The 2 day event will be held during the Appalachian Brotherhood of Sidney Kentucky s 2nd annual Rally In The Valley located in the heart of Hatfield McCoy Country.
The trails are 100% legal routes which consist of a minimum of 1,000 miles within a radius of 45 miles which border and include loops in the corner of where West Virginia, Kentucky and Virginia join together. A minimum of 500 miles consist of improved and un-improved backwoods county roads. App. 75% are single lane black top with no center stripe and virtually no guard rails. 10% are 2 lanes with center stripe and 10% are compact gravel/dirt mixture.
I am proud to say that last years 1st season of The Real McCoy Trails was a success. We had riders from across parts of the country including CA, Pa, Florida and Canada and several other states to ride sections of the trails for the first time. The trail routes are loaded with twisties, tall mountains and low valleys. I have mapped and GPS'd a total of 4 good loops'
The loops are not the routes that you would use if you were by-passing Hatfield McCoy Country and 2 lane routes such as rt 52 and are NOT roads and routes occupied by coal trucks and logging trucks. The challenge on creating the trails were to virtually eliminate such routes used by truckers with the exception of using such a route for a few miles to get to the twisty backwoods routes.
Towns and cities that surround the heart of Hatfield McCoy Country are Pikeville KY, Prestonsburg KY, Paintsville KY, Elkhorn City KY, Williamson KY and Williamson WV, Gilbert WV, Logan Wv and Panther WV. Hurley VA, Paw Paw VA, Knox Creek VA and Grundy VA. The headquarters of The Real McCoy Trails are located in Downtown Historical Matewan WV Stompin Grounds of The Hatfields & McCoys.
There will be no cost for guided tours. I have GPS'd the routes and hope to have them online soon. However a GPS will not help you very much because most of the routes are tough to find due to branching out in so many places. I would not recommend anyone to try the trails there first ride using a GPS A plan is in progress with the local tourism department to put up markers at such intersections although a person cannot depend that such signs will be there when you need to make a left or right turn.
I am located on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/donald.mccoy.98 and The Real McCoy Trails Web Page is www.therealmccoytrails.com I can post a few picture's and short video's if some of you guys want to see the terrain. You can find info about the Rally In The Valley on facebook at Appalachian Brotherhood Sidney KY which are the founders of The Rally In The Valley. During the 2-Day Rally there will be excitement for the whole family including a bit of excitement for adults including gals washing dirty bikes at a couple locations and plenty of Hog BBQ, Beans and Wings and some legendary BBQ sauce that is said to have ignited the feud.

The Real McCoy]
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,317
+1 Arkansas. There are lots of lots of fantastic roads. Pick nearly any road through the Ozark National Forest and you will be in heaven. Weather should be decent. Hotel rooms should be cheap before the main wave of tourists.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
+1 Arkansas. There are lots of lots of fantastic roads. Pick nearly any road through the Ozark National Forest and you will be in heaven. Weather should be decent. Hotel rooms should be cheap before the main wave of tourists.
When does the main wave if tourists get there ? We're thinking of coming up that way late April/early May.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #24
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
When does the main wave if tourists get there ? We're thinking of coming up that way late April/early May.
Late April/early May due to school vacations or warm camping weather. But the tourists crowd the traps of Branson, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs or the lake system camping grounds.

As a biker you'll be off the primary roads and can work around crowded 'weekends' on the lakes.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Given time, distance, fixed date and money restrictions maybe you want to take a look at the kentucky bourbon trail if you can't make it to Arkansas which really would be a good place to check out.

4PawsHacienda screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:17 AM
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
Late April/early May due to school vacations or warm camping weather. But the tourists crowd the traps of Branson, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs or the lake system camping grounds.

As a biker you'll be off the primary roads and can work around crowded 'weekends' on the lakes.
Here in Mountain Home (north-central Arkansas) the tourists start in early to mid-May.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #27
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
While the scenery is good for the KY Bourbon Trail it is not a
"spring break type of destination" plus the roads it takes you on are fairly ordinary hwys as for MC riding.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You should be fine.
'Leaf' season in fall can have too many people.

Your wife will probably dig Eureka Springs, and it can be used as a base of sorts.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
You should be fine.
'Leaf' season in fall can have too many people.

Your wife will probably dig Eureka Springs, and it can be used as a base of sorts.
Wife not on this ride. Its the annual spring ride with my riding buddy. We're just looking for some place to go. I'm having trouble getting him to go back to Mexico.