Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #6736
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I was so inspired by Lappeman's snowmobiling videos that I decided to buy my very first sled. It's been a while, so I was relieved to be able to push to get it started rather than pulling a cord. The sliders were in good shape. And I noticed the track was in good condition too. I took it for a ride in behind Centennial Park and on my first run I got it up to a little over 33 mph (GPS). In spite of the slow speed, I ended up losing control on some bumps and was heading for some trees so I had to bail (see the first video). Fortunately, the snow was deep and I wasn't injured. I clearly need more experience piloting this thing. I also noticed that I didn't have much traction on the uphills where I found myself lugging it. Some cleats would be nice. The uphills were tiring. It pulls really well though. Really light-weight. The high speed handling is pretty scary. It accelerates well too once you get going - but is a bit slow on take off. On my second run I made a few modfications, and low and behold I reached about 98 mph (GPS) - although I must admit it was on a bit of a downhill slope and the GPS suddenly spiked so it may have been an error in the reading. I captured the videos (including GPS overlay) for everyone to see below. Select the 1080P HD option and click on the full screen option for best viewing.

First run. Crash and Burn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYc8uxBYto

Second run. Out of control and almost 98 mph (GPS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaTUqH76A8

Mike

Mike, I think your GPS is broken Hope your wearing a helmet on that thing, it looks dangerous...also a good place to mount the Go Pro. No WR videos?
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #6737
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Mike, I think your GPS is broken Hope your wearing a helmet on that thing, it looks dangerous...also a good place to mount the Go Pro. No WR videos?
I don't think it's as dangerous as it looks. I was riding the Laser Luge in the videos. It's a plastic luge that resembles an official luge sled. It is fast. One of the kids (who I didn't know) wanted to try it and ended up racing his dad on a crazy carpet. He had quite a distance on his dad by the end of the track. The Laser Luge seems pretty safe though. I've never left the track with it - and have been running it for years. It's wide enough so it fits the track pretty well. My friend even takes his 2 year old daughter (lying on him) down the track and has never had an issue. But the potential for danger is always there.

Having said that - you really are going fast down the track. And you wouldn't want to hit your head on the wooden supports or the ice. I've never seen anyone wearing a helmet though. This time around I actually did sustain an injury to my hand on a new racing luge with metal runners that I purchased last year. The new sled's hold handles are situated on the sides of the sled but are situated out a little further to the sides than the runners are. So the handles (that your hands are wrapped around) hit the wooden walls before the runners. Ouch. With the Laser Luge the runners hit first so your hands are protected. Once I realized this on the run, I let go. But once I let go and started bouncing around, I fell off the sled, and slid along the track a long ways to a stop. It was only later that I realized my ski pants acquired a burn hole through them, and so did one of my winter gloves. My hand seems pretty normal today - but was pretty swollen yesterday. After that ride - we held onto the front of the racing luge instead. But I still think the older luge was faster - mainly because it was easier to handle and fit the track better.

A couple of years ago - I measured out a 100 ft distance beginning at the bottom of the hill. I then calculated the amount of time to traverse the distance. All of the runs were pretty consistent with the Laser Luge. Using the formula S = D/T, the average speed over that distance was around 29 mph. I think it's interesting that the first run listed a top speed a little over 33 mph. Based on my previous testing - that sounds quite accurate. What?!? You don't think the sudden burst of speed from 30 mph to 98 mph was a valid reading on the second run?!?! The second track certainly had more ice build-up on it and was rougher.

I was hoping to use my current digital camera setup as an action camera for my motorcycles. The GoPro chest mount works well. And the quality of the video (and optical image stabilizer) works great too. The downfall is sound. Too much wind noise. I don't have a mic input on my Sony. This would help a lot. My next digital camera will have a mic input.

Here's a sample with the same digital camera - chest mounted - while riding my CBR250R in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kblgc_DDL_g

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:58 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #6738
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
[/QUOTE]

Mrs Backroader and I are going to Areostich, will be camping on the Hill, then probably heading back to the Peg, via Thunder Bay.[/QUOTE]

It was worth the admission price at VBR just to hear/see Junior Brown on the slide guitar. It's a great rally
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #6739
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

Mike

Mike, is that the only place you can run that thing or can it be used on regular hills?

A helmet mounted cam point down and ahead would give you a good shot of the track also.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #6740
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 333
I want one o' those

Had something of a "firsts" weekend here as well. This was my sugarpie's first time on a sled and I gave 'ol Agatha her shakedown run for the ride up the Wapusk winter road in a few weeks. The slush on the lake was an issue but the Gripstuds were up to the task. A good time was had by all......

Yesterday's shakedown run......http://youtu.be/c2l0A0EDBL0
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #6741
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Mike, is that the only place you can run that thing or can it be used on regular hills?

A helmet mounted cam point down and ahead would give you a good shot of the track also.
You can run both of them on packed hills too. No good in soft snow.

Yeah - it would work well. Can you tell me more about your helmet cam setup? Which helmet are you using and how do you have your cam mounted to the helmet? I might give that a try. I do have a Contour 1080 HD helmet cam as well.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #6742
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,574
Mrs Backroader and I are going to Areostich, will be camping on the Hill, then probably heading back to the Peg, via Thunder Bay.[/QUOTE]

It was worth the admission price at VBR just to hear/see Junior Brown on the slide guitar. It's a great rally[/QUOTE]

I can only assume you and your date will be there this year?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #6743
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Search back in the thread a bit. I posted some info for may long weekend.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
Hey Gord,

Yep I saw that earlier post and just confirming that it's still a go.
Looking forward to it. Thanks

BackRoader, I'll have to see if I can swing the VBR as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #6744
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
We can't plan that far ahead. I would like to get some Minn/Wisconsin rides in and the VBR would be a great stop on route. How's AZ treating you Greg ? Get on 2wheels down there?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #6745
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
We can't plan that far ahead. I would like to get some Minn/Wisconsin rides in and the VBR would be a great stop on route. How's AZ treating you Greg ? Get on 2wheels down there?
Going to rent a bike when I figure out a good ride to take. Enjoying the pool time and sight seeing. Have been buying some parts and pieces for the fleet as I find them.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #6746
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwokentoof View Post
Had something of a "firsts" weekend here as well. This was my sugarpie's first time on a sled and I gave 'ol Agatha her shakedown run for the ride up the Wapusk winter road in a few weeks. The slush on the lake was an issue but the Gripstuds were up to the task. A good time was had by all......

Yesterday's shakedown run......http://youtu.be/c2l0A0EDBL0
Sure looks like you folks had a blast...looking forward to more...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #6747
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Any news on Ron? How the procedure went? Maybe he's run off with a nurse or some such!
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #6748
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
Any news on Ron? How the procedure went? Maybe he's run off with a nurse or some such!
He proclaimed himself alive on facebbok.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #6749
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
He proclaimed himself alive on facebbok.
Seeing that he's down south now, and must like it. He maybe will start a tread "Southern Riders SIGN IN" You FF's may never see him again up there.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #6750
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I spoke to him on the phone this morning. Said he should be discharged later today and will likely be home tomorrrow or Thursday. Sounded a bit exhausted, but glad to be all fixed up. Should be good to go in time for riding season. Did somebody say ICEBREAKER?
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote