Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
nordicbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Freedom Cycles Halifax

Hello folks in Nova Scotia!

I am currently preparing for a three month trip across Canada (as mentioned in some other posts here) and want to buy a bike in Halifax, to sell it later in Vancouver. I have been in contact several times with Freedom Cycles in Halifax and actually wanted to buy a barely used KRL 650 from them.

The dealer already took a deposit from my credit card a week ago, but now not much more seems to happen over there, still waiting for bank information (BIC, IBAN numbers)! So I am getting a bit sceptical if I should really send them 6000,-CD?

Any personal experiences and remarks about that dealer? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to post public replies! And of course I will write an update on this post later.

Thanks for you help!
Kai-Uwe
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Hi Kai-Uwe,

Freedom is located about 5kms from me. I've never bought a bike from them but have used them for parts. They are one of the larger bike shops in Nova Scotia. They are involved in a (large for Halifax) motorcycle show this weekend which may explain, although not necessarily excuse, their lack of communication. Send me a PM if you'd like me to chase them for you on this end.

cheers

Rick
R_Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,526
Because you used a credit card you have few worries, the bank will take care do any bad business.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
They're a good, well known Nova Scotia dealer. Who knows why the particular individual wont respond. Give them a call..

Good luck
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Like the op said all of their staff was at the Halifax show all weekend. They had two nice KLR's on display there too.

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
nordicbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for the information, it's hard to judge from the distance, just by phone, if e dealer is reliable or not. I understand that they had different priorities in the last two weeks with the show approaching, so I will wait a few more days and then give them a call again!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,434
Bought a bike from them, no issues. The are a fairly well established bricks and mortar storefront. Hit and miss on the service side of things over the years. I haven't had any issue but a buddy of mine did.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
I have had nothing but terrible experiences at Freedom Cycle, and another member here FredGreen also has nothing good to say about them.

Sales staff knew nothing about the bike they sold me, and when they didn't know the answer to a question, they (Paul) made it up. Total guess/lie/false info. The only reason I went through with the purchase was that it was a leftover model from the year before, and it was discounted a fair amount from the new model year. The salesman even lied about finance rates. He told me that with good credit, he's seen rates as good as 3.5%. The finance lady called me after running my credit, and told me the best they could do was 8.5%. I said that was no good, and I was told I could get 3.5 if my credit was 'good', and I was looking at my credit score which was A++ (no debt, own my own house, rrsp, $150k total household income). she said that she's never seen anything better than 4.8%. whatever, I'll take it and pay it off later. Salesman told me that I can make extra payments anytime, without penalty. LIE. There was a max of $1000/year extra I could pay on it, and there would be a 1.5% fee on that...didn't find that out until I tried to make a $2200 payment two months later.

Dealer support has been awful. I tried to support them, i really did. I attempted to acquire consumables like oil filters, and some accessories like a tank bag and stuff. the parts department wouldn't stock oil filters on bikes they had in the showroom, and took over a month to get them in. They were uninterested in helping me buy any accessories, and let out a big sigh as they opened the catalogs. the guys at the service desk will let you stand in front of them for 5-10 minutes before making eye contact and saying " you need something?" I watched one guy eat an entire McDonalds big mac meal, fries and all while I stood at the counter wanting to order a part, while he pretended I wasn't there.

I tried to buy a set of riding pants, and they all stood and laughed at me trying to find something (I'm a short guy). I had to go up to the counter to ask for help locating things, and they just told me "that's all we have" while motioning vaguely to the racks.

In my opinion, and based on my experience, they will tell you anything to just get you out the door. once they've got the money, they don't care about you.

Try Pro Cycle, also in halifax...I think it's in sackville though. Prompt greeting as you enter, people ask you if you need help finding something, parts are ordered timely, and courtesy phone calls are made to let you know the parts are in. In fact, they stock a lot of parts - they've only had to order for me a couple of times. Look at gear, BOOM someone is there to offer help. ask a question about a bike, a piece of gear, a helmet, a finance question, BOOM answer, and a correct, knowledgable friendly answer. It's like they want your business or something?!?!

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

FredGreen, pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby...

Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
I have had nothing but terrible experiences at Freedom Cycle, and another member here FredGreen also has nothing good to say about them.

Sales staff knew nothing about the bike they sold me, and when they didn't know the answer to a question, they (Paul) made it up. Total guess/lie/false info. The only reason I went through with the purchase was that it was a leftover model from the year before, and it was discounted a fair amount from the new model year. The salesman even lied about finance rates. He told me that with good credit, he's seen rates as good as 3.5%. The finance lady called me after running my credit, and told me the best they could do was 8.5%. I said that was no good, and I was told I could get 3.5 if my credit was 'good', and I was looking at my credit score which was A++ (no debt, own my own house, rrsp, $150k total household income). she said that she's never seen anything better than 4.8%. whatever, I'll take it and pay it off later. Salesman told me that I can make extra payments anytime, without penalty. LIE. There was a max of $1000/year extra I could pay on it, and there would be a 1.5% fee on that...didn't find that out until I tried to make a $2200 payment two months later.

Dealer support has been awful. I tried to support them, i really did. I attempted to acquire consumables like oil filters, and some accessories like a tank bag and stuff. the parts department wouldn't stock oil filters on bikes they had in the showroom, and took over a month to get them in. They were uninterested in helping me buy any accessories, and let out a big sigh as they opened the catalogs. the guys at the service desk will let you stand in front of them for 5-10 minutes before making eye contact and saying " you need something?" I watched one guy eat an entire McDonalds big mac meal, fries and all while I stood at the counter wanting to order a part, while he pretended I wasn't there.

I tried to buy a set of riding pants, and they all stood and laughed at me trying to find something (I'm a short guy). I had to go up to the counter to ask for help locating things, and they just told me "that's all we have" while motioning vaguely to the racks.

In my opinion, and based on my experience, they will tell you anything to just get you out the door. once they've got the money, they don't care about you.

Try Pro Cycle, also in halifax...I think it's in sackville though. Prompt greeting as you enter, people ask you if you need help finding something, parts are ordered timely, and courtesy phone calls are made to let you know the parts are in. In fact, they stock a lot of parts - they've only had to order for me a couple of times. Look at gear, BOOM someone is there to offer help. ask a question about a bike, a piece of gear, a helmet, a finance question, BOOM answer, and a correct, knowledgable friendly answer. It's like they want your business or something?!?!

Did you buy a 690? The above is a pretty spot on description of the issues they need(ed) to over come. Same issue for me getting oil and filters and not being able to get service out of them the first time I walked in right down to the hamburger muncher. TO funny.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

no, I bought a Kawasaki Super Sherpa...a bike that has taken the same oil filter since inception...and a top seller for them...you think they'd keep some maintenance supplies in stock for after-sales support.

I know of more than a few people that have a similar horror story. The only reason I bought the bike from them was because they were the only dealer in Nova Scotia with 2 leftover 2009 models, in may of 2010.. there was $1100 difference in the 09 and the 10, so i had no choice but to put up with their shit. I wouldn't have financed, but didn't have the money on hand, but would soon, so I figured i'd just pay it off in a few months; worth it i thought, to get such a good deal on an 09.

as for paying out the loan early, apparently the extra paymnt fees were only if I made the payments at Freedom Cycle...I took a Cheque for the balance to HSBC, in person, and the loan was reduced to zero. Freedom Called me and basically said WTF?? and that I had to pay fees to make extra payments... I said that was funny, because HSBC, who actually held the loan didn't know anything about that...he said he'd get back to me. He never did - that was 3 years ago. crooks.

CallMeBoog screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 12:49 PM
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 540
Freedom Cycle

I really can't comment on buying a bike, as I didn't buy from them, but the parts dept is simply deplorable, last summer it took them three weeks to get an oil filter for a 990 Adventure. I went on fleabay, bought three from California, and had one installed before I got the one from Freedom. I did confront the manager, got blown off with a lame excuse, and had to deal with a kid who was talking to me while shoving a burger in his gob at the same time. I guess I would compare this shop to buying at Wal Mart, hand over your money and get the frick out. Profit seems to override customer support there. Is this what a bike shop should be? I sure as hell hope not. If your spidey senses are telling you that you are getting fleeced, listen to them......
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
eviee1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yes they seem like a sucky dealer, looked at buying from them a number of years ago when living in Dartmouth. Sales guy Paul had not interest in selling me a bike, no test drives allowed. Did purchase a used TW200 privately. As much as there are people who bash ProCycle, I would recommend them to anyone, great service and parts department. Sales seem lazy though.
eviee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
nordicbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

By now I can report that everything went fine so far. It is not easy to get in contact with them by mail, but I guess those guys are simply not "office people" like maybe most of us are - who check their mail more or less continuously every day. So best is to call them.

The money transfer worked after I got the necessary information directly from their bank, but again I don't blame Freedom Cycles for that, 'cause I guess they don't have many customer in Europe who buy a bike in cash (full amount, without a loan).

About a week later they send me a proof of ownership, which I will need to fix insurance.

The last step now is to get them mount new tyres on the bike (which I will of course pay them for), which I got sponsored by German manufacturer Heidenau. I will then be able to start the trip on fresh rubber and hopefully be able to finish it on the same set.

So in summary: sometimes a bit slow, but no really serious problems.

However I will be incredibly glad (and probably be shouting out my happiness!) once I start the engine and ride the bike out of Halifax!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
Glad to hear it's working out for you...

Keep us up to date as your plan evolves.
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote