Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Mathias52 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Nevis Valley, New Zealand

This is my first report so please bare with me.

On Sat a few of us rode through the Nevis Valley then over Duffers Saddle (NZs highest public road) into Bannockburn. Alot of different experience levels from Jocelyn who had never been off road (250 Super Sherpa) Peter (2nd trip off road) to Greg who used to ride MX (RM250) to 70 year old Allaistar who has been riding all his life and is showing no signs of slowing down, last time he rode through here was on his 2007 FZ6, this time he pulled out his old DT200. This was really only my 2nd real trip off the black stuff. Here are a few photo from along the way.

Warning sign at the start of the road.

Headed up the winding gravel road to the old Nevis ski hut.

Here is the Veiw from the Old Nevis Ski Hut looking west. It was a glorious day for riding and couldnt think of anywhere better to be for the weekend.

A few of the numerous river crossings. none of them too deep but some had largish rocks on the bottom.

I managed to find this nice lil mud puddle which everyone but Jocelyn and I rode around.

After the little mud puddle, no longer as clean as when the day started.

We stopped for lunch at an old stone goldminers hut now in ruins.

Passing John on his BMW f650gs the same as mine, last time he came on a ride he ended up with screws being put in his ankle the next day so he was a bit nervous being off road again.

Me being passed by Greg on his RM250. This was a common occurance during the day.

After riding through the valley most of the day we wound our way up onto Duffers Saddle the highest public road on NZ at 1300m

Had a group photo before realising John had a nail in his tyre so off came the wheel and tools to go about remedying this problem

Koby was a little tired from exploring off the track on his KDX200 while the flat gets fixed

Im pretty sure this tube isnt meant to have a big slit in it....no wonder it wasnt holding any air.

From Duffers Saddle most of us rode out to Bannockburn then took the black stuff home. 2 rode back the way we had come as their bikes had been traliered to the start as they werent road appropriate.

It was an awesome day and I am pretty sure that the 3 of us relativly new off road riders all learnt some valuable skills, I know I sure did. If your ever in the South end of NZ take some time to take the 80km trip thru the Nevis. Its well worth it.

Mathias52 screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 07:28 PM
Mathias52 is offline   Reply With Quote