Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
KFhunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
I've never heard the 990 performance called lackluster. Just wondering, have you ever ridden one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillbeer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFhunter
The Dakar is $13,xxx for a 2011 hold over with lackluster engine performance when compared to the other flagship adventure bikes seems a bit steep..

I've never heard the 990 performance called lackluster. Just wondering, have you ever ridden one?

He's a troller.
Not a troller, I am a shopper. As I've indicated in my profile.

This is what I read:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/176/11...omparison.aspx

Quote:
The Dakar employs a 75-degree V-Twin measuring 999cc (101 x 62.4mm bore/stroke). Compared to the standard Adventure, the Dakar version has a 500-rpm higher rev ceiling which is good for extra peak horsepower. With exception to the ridiculous Ducati, the 990 put out the highest number of ponies, narrowly edging the BMW at 94.91 HP as it hits the 9400-rpm rev limiter. Torque production is a different story, however. The water-cooled engine suffers a big disadvantage at 60.85 lb-ft. Of the liter-class bikes, the Yamaha and Beemer both make 71 lb-ft and the Duc is way out in front at nearly 81 lb-ft. Combine the 573-pound testing weight and the result is the Adventure is not a fast accelerating machine. It’s the slowest in 0-60 feet, losing even to the Triumph, and also the slowest big bike in the quarter-mile.
I'm not the one whose pissed in your wheates folks, I just walked by and seen the yellow milk aftermath in that review above
KFhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,188
Reading between the lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFhunter View Post
Not a troller, I am a shopper. As I've indicated in my profile.

This is what I read:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/176/11...omparison.aspx

I'm not the one whose pissed in your wheates folks, I just walked by and seen the yellow milk aftermath in that review above
I still find it funny that journalists will try to categorize the KTM Adventure bikes as a large sized Adventure bike along with the BMW GS12, Super T, and Duc Multi 12. Ha, that's such a riot of misproportionate comparisons

The KTM LC8 Adventure is a midsized bike, and should be compared to the BMW GS8 and Triumph 800.

I you want a bike that outperforms the BMW GS12 and the SuperT, then of course you'd choose the KTM 1190.

Here's a leap at explaining the comparisons between the BMW GS12, the Super T, and the KTM 990:

What riding surface does a rider want to feel less fatigued riding and what riding surface are they willing to work harder riding as a trade off...

BMW GS12... An average rider will feel the most fatigue on a rougher riding surface then smoother tarmac over longer distances traveled. On tarmac the bike is at it's most plush for longer distance riding.

Super T... An average rider will feel more fatigue on a rougher riding surface then smoother tarmac. On tarmac the bike is more plush then rougher riding surfaces for longer distances.

KTM Adventure LC8... An average rider will feel less fatigue on rougher riding surfaces for longer distances.
And the bike will be less plush on longer distances on tarmac.

You simply decide what riding surface you want more of an advantage on and what riding surface you are willing to put forth more effort.

And as far as buying a KTM... buy a 950 with low miles.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Wow, not a very complimentary review.

How in the hell can that porker come in at that much weight, especially compared to those other bikes? Did they not kit up the others? Claimed dry weight is 461, so they added a hundred pounds on it for the test (fuel, oil, coolant, and then lots of gear?)?

The very reason I am about to be a (proud?) new owner of a 2013 Baja is because I assumed (hoped) that the power to weight ratio would be better than all the current 1200 bikes. Hell, I thought the 990 would smoke my Tenere. Maybe not.....

The other reason I bought one is because the 990 is supposed to be the best of the big bikes in the dirt - I hope that is the case.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
jeventures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
+1

I have a 950ADV (carbed, jetted, fmf pipes...powerful machine). My only regret is not having the taller suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
I'm 6'2" I like the taller bike. I say go with long travel if your tall and spend what you save on farkles.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
Marko888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Another item to consider is ABS.

I believe the '11 Dakar has ABS. The '13 Baja does not, which means the storage box under the seat is available for your tools and so on, opposed to an ABS bike which has that space filled with ABS pump etc. I would choose the Baja, despite my preference of the looks of the Daker.
Marko888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Lackluster

Quote:
I had an 05 that I would have invited any dual sport to chase.Just saying.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko888 View Post
Another item to consider is ABS.

I believe the '11 Dakar has ABS. The '13 Baja does not, which means the storage box under the seat is available for your tools and so on, opposed to an ABS bike which has that space filled with ABS pump etc. I would choose the Baja, despite my preference of the looks of the Daker.
Funny- I was about the say the opposite. In a respectful way, of course.

I prefer the Baja (at least the white) and would rather have the space than the ABS.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Academy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
990r

I just brought home a 2012 990 R over the 2011 Dakar sitting next to it in the showroom. I liked the taller suspension (i am 6'3") and the seat which is firmer and grippier. I liked the idea of no ABS thinking less things to go wrong.
Funny thing is i originally went up to see the Dakar.
Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
My 950 out performs my Duc Multi 1200 to 100 mph (give or take). Both are are one tooth down on the countershaft. I would bet the 990 would be close to or better.

Don't believe the hype, unless you spend all you time at triple digits, the KTM is not lackluster.

( the Ducati is what drove me to KTM. I thought it would be awesome and its not half the sport bike my Honda was and anything dirt related is a joke on it. It's a smooth road touring bike with ok power. The KTM is a crazy big dirt bike that will out perform most squids on sport bikes on the twisties and still handle single track like a big thumper.)

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal

Ramv screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 07:26 PM
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
My 950 out performs my Duc Multi 1200 to 100 mph (give or take). Both are are one tooth down on the countershaft. I would bet the 990 would be close to or better.

Don't believe the hype, unless you spend all you time at triple digits, the KTM is not lackluster.

( the Ducati is what drove me to KTM. I thought it would be awesome and its not half the sport bike my Honda was and anything dirt related is a joke on it. It's a smooth road touring bike with ok power. The KTM is a crazy big dirt bike that will out perform most squids on sport bikes on the twisties and still handle single track like a big thumper.)
What he said
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Wow, not a very complimentary review.

How in the hell can that porker come in at that much weight, especially compared to those other bikes? Did they not kit up the others? Claimed dry weight is 461, so they added a hundred pounds on it for the test (fuel, oil, coolant, and then lots of gear?)?

The very reason I am about to be a (proud?) new owner of a 2013 Baja is because I assumed (hoped) that the power to weight ratio would be better than all the current 1200 bikes. Hell, I thought the 990 would smoke my Tenere. Maybe not.....

The other reason I bought one is because the 990 is supposed to be the best of the big bikes in the dirt - I hope that is the case.
Fear not, my buddy has a 1200 GS and I've stuck on his tail up to about 115 (on a closed course of course) and he couldn't drop me. So maybe the 990 doesn't pull quite as hard of the line, but that means nothing in the real world. And in the dirt it's not even going to be close - the 990 is a big dirt bike in sheep's clothing.

KFhunter, do yourself a favor and score a test ride...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
In the dirt it's not even going to be close - the 990 is a big dirt bike in sheep's clothing.

KFhunter, do yourself a favor and score a test ride...
I am a GS rider and let me tell you that the GS is a very good street bike that will go off road. The 990 is a very good "big" dirt bike that goes on the tarmac to your favorite off road trail. I'm waiting for the 1190 R to come to the US to replace my GS Adventure. While my GS has been faithful, as I age it seems to be getting heavier off road, so come on KTM and import the 1190 R.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Baja is in the catagory "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" because the stealership has no price listed for it.
I'm assuming $15,xxx ish

The Dakkar is $13,xxx for a 2011 hold over with lackluster engine performance when compared to the other flagship adventure bikes seems a bit steep.

Besides the additional bolt on goodies for the Baja, what is the differences? Does the Baja have the same engine mapping and rev limiters as the 2011 Dakkar? Same suspension?

I was trying to find a good source to really compare the bikes, I may need to take a ride to the dealership as they have both versions in stock.
I can afford it, just wanted to know the damn price.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #29
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Hmmmm I guess if you ride on the street only then someone with an inseam at 32" or less will be happy with the taller R. I'm 6ft 2" 180 LBS with a 32" inseam and had to go with the shorter bike. I'm on my tip toes when stopped at a stop light (Sidi Adventure Boots) and since I ride alone, offroad where the the surface is uneven the thought of riding down a two track just to run into a narrow section with barbed wire on either side and a locked gate with tall grass just didn't sound like fun to me.

I've not rode anywhere that the taller suspension was needed but a revalve sure is.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
I can afford it, just wanted to know the damn price.
MSRP is 14,899 for whatever that is worth. Supposedly that is what I will pay when mine arrives, plus freight and setup, .... you know the drill.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote