Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #1876
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
That certainly doesn't appear to bode well for the Terra/Strada. But if I was in the market for one, it would only hasten my trip to a dealer. Even if it is a one year bike, it fills a niche that no other manufacturer has (lower cost, higher HP, adventure thumper). Better get 'em while they last!
Why would any good business man kill a product that is making money? The Terra/Strada will be in the lineup as long as there is a demand for them..... For sure!

Regards, Paul
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #1877
PullingG's
What?

Oddometer: 171
The comments imply new ownership will no longer be receiving engines from BMW nor will there be an ongoing relationship ...
PullingG's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #1878
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingG's View Post
The comments imply new ownership will no longer be receiving engines from BMW nor will there be an ongoing relationship ...

The comments don't "imply" that,......they state that.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #1879
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
That certainly doesn't appear to bode well for the Terra/Strada. But if I was in the market for one, it would only hasten my trip to a dealer. Even if it is a one year bike, it fills a niche that no other manufacturer has (lower cost, higher HP, adventure thumper). Better get 'em while they last!
buying parts for a one year bike could be a pain in the long run.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1880
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Why would any good business man kill a product that is making money? The Terra/Strada will be in the lineup as long as there is a demand for them..... For sure!

Regards, Paul
he would not.
i read that the whole bike, except the engine, has future part supply in place.
so a next year bike is likely to exist but use another engine retro-fitted in place.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1881
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
buying parts for a one year bike could be a pain in the long run.
I don't disagree. But I also don't think it is an insurmountable problem. My X-Challenge was a one year run bike. The aftermarket is nothing like that of a DR650, KLR or F650. But really, beyond a skid plate and racks, most other things are fairly universal. OEM parts will be around for a bit. Maybe finding a fender 10 years from now will be tough or expensive, but if you get 10 years with what you feel is a great bike, you'll deal with the minor frustration.

Maybe next year there will be a KTM engine in it, or maybe they will work out a licensing agreement with BMW/Loncin/Rotax. But even if they don't, I think there will be a lot of happy Terra owners years from now knowing they grabbed a gem of a bike while they could.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1882
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
he would not.
so a next year bike is likely to exist but use another engine retro-fitted in place.

Going by that, then at this time one would presume the only engine they have to go in there is the efi donk out of the 690, would that be about right?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #1883
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 62
Either the TR650 will continue to be supported in it's present form, or it won't be. If it is supported then the TR650 owners have got a great bike for a very reasonable price with no worries about future parts supply. If it's not supported and is discontinued then the TR650 owners have got what will probably become a valuable collectors bike. I expect to get my TR650 Terra in a week or so - just as soon as it arrives at the dealers. Either way it turns out I can live with it. Can't wait to get the bike.

But since none of us really knows what will happen, what deals might be worked out to support the bike, or kill it let's get back to discussing the bike and stuff we know about. Can anybody comment on how the Terra performs off-road when compared to the KLR and the DR650?
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #1884
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,467
I'd like to take the KTM/Pierer Business Strategy Thread in a different direction.

I've combed this thread and have one question remaining. Has anyone put Terra wheels on a Strada yet?

More specifically, if I got a smokin deal on a Strada, would I be able to (easily) make the conversion to the larger spoke wheels for better dirt performance?

I've only seen the bike once, fell madly in love, and am now negotiating a deal from Asscrackistan.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #1885
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I've combed this thread and have one question remaining. Has anyone put Terra wheels on a Strada yet?.
Mind you, its not that simple there where you are. Bikes are similar, mostly wheel sizes differ. BUT Strada is ABS while Terra is sold only without ABS in US. That mod might be still possible (albeit costly) either by removing ABS altogether or importing wheels from Europe (where Terra ABS version is offered).

People liking Strada on Terra wheels usually work the other way round - buy Terra and swap plastics to black and swap front fenders.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #1886
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Mind you, its not that simple there where you are. Bikes are similar, mostly wheel sizes differ. BUT Strada is ABS while Terra is sold only without ABS in US. That mod might be still possible (albeit costly) either by removing ABS altogether or importing wheels from Europe (where Terra ABS version is offered).

People liking Strada on Terra wheels usually work the other way round - buy Terra and swap plastics to black and swap front fenders.
The ABS is precisely the point. I'm in a situation where I might be able to get a Strada with ABS for significantly cheaper than a Terra. Throwing Terra wheels on the Strada would definitely leave the ABS useless. However, I vaguely recall the rear wheels on the two both having the ABS sensor ring. I'm thinking a 21" BMW wheel for the front with a sensor ring would keep the ABS working, and then I would still be able to turn the ABS off when I get it offroad.

I have never had a bike with ABS, or fuel injection for that matter. This is kind of new to me, but I'm hoping I can get a thumbs up from someone who has done it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #1887
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Strada

I bought the Strada. I wanted ABS. I figure it would be easier to add wheels. I could have bought wheels from the dealer I reckon or even used off a BMW 650.. but I decided I wanted something a little tougher. I have wheels on the way from Woodys. It was not a cheap option.

Here in the south, it's hard to get any off msrp on the Terra...the Strada I was able to save nearly all the premium they charge simply because the dealer had several Stradas and only one Terra. So I bought the Strada for Terra money. Not huge savings but every bit helps. Especially when you start adding all the farkles you need to get the bike where you want it. I have a big GS too...but really like the little single. It seems to get better all the time. Rode about 100 miles yesterday. Finally using all the tach...it's not a race bike...but it's a hoot compared to the KLR it replaced.

trapperj screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 06:28 AM Reason: Spelling
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1888
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Interview Manfred Grunert BMW Motorrad about Husqvarna
Thursday, January 31, 2013

(web translation)
Today Nieuwsmotor.nl talked with Manfred Grunert, Head of Product Communications BMW Motorrad. "I can now announce that BMW Group indeed will sell Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG for an undisclosed sum. This is subject to approval by the competition authorities, we expect that within a month can be completed. Due of the enormous drop in the off road market, BMW has decided to focus purely on BMW Motorrad, so on road model of over 600cc. never say never, but in the short term, BMW will therefore not return in the off road segment.

The new owner will be responsible for the service of the sold Husqvarna's. At the moment he takes over the brand will immediately cease all involvement of BMW, which also applies to supply engines and parts for current models. All "expat" employees from Germany at BMW are still on the payroll and will therefore return to BMW. The employees of Husqvarna'll just stay in service.

We do not feel this as a loss of face but as a logical decision after the collapse of the offroad market. I know the circumstances under which other major engine manufacturers withdrew from an Italian company, but for us this is not an issue. Your remark that this is very costly for BMW I can not answer, as you know we do not talk about the sums of money. "
Matter of opinion but I believe Herr Grunert's analysis is a bit off. While it's true the Off Road market collapsed ... the Dual Sport market has NOT.
In fact it's been the only segment the US Motorcycle market that has gone UP. Look at bikes like the DR650 and KLR. Both survived the '08 collapse fairly well. Pure Moto Cross bikes did not and TE Husky sales have been slow as well.

Since Husky makes some pure off road race bikes ... you could say Grunert's statement/analysis is partly correct. But clearly, the Terra and Strada are dual sports and have been selling well. For whatever reason BMW Motarrad have chosen to sort of throw the "Baby Out With The Bathwater" in abandoning the Terra/Strada.

How Pierer AG handle the transition from the Loncin supplier (Terra and Strada motor built there) is another multi faceted problem. Several things could happen:
1. Pierer AG/Bajaj/KTM could move motor production back to Italy, bringing all current stock of motors/spares, molds, templates, plans and machine tools from Loncin. Most likely they now OWN all stock at Loncin and possibly more.

2. re-negociate a new contract with Loncin to continue production in China
3. Move production to Bajaj India.

Will be interesting to see which direction they go.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #1889
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
I don't disagree. But I also don't think it is an insurmountable problem. My X-Challenge was a one year run bike. The aftermarket is nothing like that of a DR650, KLR or F650. But really, beyond a skid plate and racks, most other things are fairly universal. OEM parts will be around for a bit. Maybe finding a fender 10 years from now will be tough or expensive, but if you get 10 years with what you feel is a great bike, you'll deal with the minor frustration.

Maybe next year there will be a KTM engine in it, or maybe they will work out a licensing agreement with BMW/Loncin/Rotax. But even if they don't, I think there will be a lot of happy Terra owners years from now knowing they grabbed a gem of a bike while they could.
I agree with what you said and believe that the Terra is a sweet bike, i looked at them alot just because of the low price tag (low is a relative term). It seems to be a capable, large displacement thumper... we need more of those around i think. I would just be skeptical of buying one in fear that they wouldnt be supported in the future and Husky is getting kicked around more than a soccer ball. I hope they keep them around and support them for a long time, i just dont want them to be like many other bikes (old husa's for example) that become scarier to ride in fear of a breakdown with little parts support. I want to reiterate how much i like the idea of a terra tho!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #1890
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Regards, Paul
Quote:
he would not.
The bigger question to me is if the Terra/Strada are actually money makers or only good sellers partially due to their pricing.

Assuming they can source the numerous BMW parts bin components.
Are they currently priced at a realistic and profitable level or priced to get them into the market?

Why was the X-Challenge a $9000 bike in 2007?
Why are the similar yet long in the tooth (design long paid for) 650 GS's $7900 and Sertao $8700
The price difference between the GS/Sertao even questions if the basic GS is a loser or break even bike to hook new customers.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote