Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Oddometer: 13
My bike is out of the snow today and into After Dark Motorcycles shop where they will be helping me prep it for the trip .
xxDUFFYxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
BringSparesAlong
Pist N Broke

Oddometer: 63
I agree with quieter mufflers and a full face helmet. I would also suggest ear plugs to help prevent hearing loss. Once you have decided on a route, make sure to post it up.
Iif you come thru Kamloops I'll buy dinner
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Timo Explorer
Trail Wizard

Oddometer: 260
Best of success friend. Looking forward to the link, so we can follow your progress and make a donation. Word of mouth in the ADV community is a very strong method of communication. You will likely have company on most stretches of your journey.

I salute you for sacrifices so far, and for making a difference in the world. Thank you for your service.

Safe Journey. Ride On!
"You can't stay young, but you can stay immature." -- Red Green
"Never leave spontaneity to chance." -- Neil Peart
Timo Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Explorer View Post
Best of success friend. Looking forward to the link, so we can follow your progress and make a donation. Word of mouth in the ADV community is a very strong method of communication. You will likely have company on most stretches of your journey.

I salute you for sacrifices so far, and for making a difference in the world. Thank you for your service.

Safe Journey. Ride On!

+ 10000...... I'll join you in a leg if you're close when the time comes.

I can help spread the word across the CF once you get the details worked out...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
have you contacted local Cav guys http://www.thecav.ca I know the Edmonton club is supposed to be a great group of guys. The Cold Lake group seems to be an ego extension of the higher ups but they do some great fundraising. Another idea would be to contact your local Legion, They can spread the word and maybe offer support. goof luck
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
have you contacted local Cav guys http://www.thecav.ca I know the Edmonton club is supposed to be a great group of guys. The Cold Lake group seems to be an ego extension of the higher ups but they do some great fundraising. Another idea would be to contact your local Legion, They can spread the word and maybe offer support. goof luck

I've been trying to get in contact with the legion and have thought about reaching out to some veterans MC's and groups but haven't approached any yet. Waiting for some things to fall into place then I'll put up the page . Thanks for all the support so far.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
wos
Beastly Adventurer

might be worth contacting the veteran affairs office as well.
The Alberta rep for the legion comes up to Cold lake every few weeks. I'm sure he runs into the base in Edmonton as well. Maybe the Jr ranks mess, WO/ Sgt's or officers messes might be worth talking to, might get you some contacts with others that would like to help.
just had a thought, Gord Steinke of Global news Edmonton is an avid rider, Harley's and a KTM (which he tried to get to Inuvik on) might be interested in talking to you. He is very active in the local charity rides and never misses a chance to talk bikes on the air. Hell, it would be worth it just to get a closer look at Carol Anne.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
squad314
Regular Joe

Oddometer: 99
I'm in Saint john NB and support you 100%. When you are in my neck of the woods and there is anything you need, I'm your guy. I rode my Fatboy from Vancouver Island to home in 2000 and it is a trip I have always cherished. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on this thread but in the mean time please reach out if there is anything you need in the prep phase.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,052
Get a waterproof suit like an Aerostitch and goretex gloves and boots. Also an electric jacket liner and heated grips. All can be bought used in the flea market or ebay. I'll go with the full face helmet and earplugs idea as suggested, it's a long ride. Don't make those miles miserable ones.

I remember way too many cold wet miles till I finally smartened up. On my first cross continent trip it was really hot in the east so I figured I'd just wear my jean jacket. That didn't turn out well
Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #25
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,438
Talking

If you're not getting any joy from HD try contacting the dealers near bases directly. Be very specific what you're looking for from them, ie a support in the form of inkind donation such as an oil change or tires, also offer them something in return such as conducting an interview at their shop with the local media and ensure you give them a plug for their support.

Most bases have riding clubs as well, you should be able to coordinate something through them to get more exposure.

Could also find out who is running the rider training programs on your route and see if there is a angle there. They get exposure to potentially bring in more new riders.

Finally try contacting the Legion, could be a good a source of ideas.

Be prepared for "thanks but no thanks". No big deal, everyone has the right to say yes or no to an idea and it isn't a judgement on the value of what your're trying to do.

Parting thought, $1/km is nice but round numbers ie $20k as a specific goal helps others visualize what the end state needs to be, also you're going to have to educate people on what Soldier On is and does.

Good luck and great riding, ensure you record the trip in print and pictures. If nothing else there is value in it for your but who knows where the journey and story will take you.

Have a Royal trip, Pro Patria.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Thanks for all the tips , I've tried repeatedly to contact the Legion and my local HD and Deeley HD . The local HD dealers weren't interested and haven't heard a thing from the Legion or Deeley. My biggest thing is getting some support for basics like parts and equipment/ gear , most places won't even bother with a reply . So finding some sponsors from businesses would really help with the costs of things . $1 per km is just an idea I hope to raise more .
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #27
wos
Beastly Adventurer

have you tried other brand dealers? Riverside in St albert and Alberta cycle seem like the stand behind the troops and don't seem to be overly brand-centric.
Rudy Sr. at Scona cycle might be worth talking to as well. He is as true to the spirit of ADV riding as your likely to ever meet.
You might also get some better responses from other Harley dealerships out of town. Lloydminster has a decent one and the ones in Calgary might be more friendly as that city is still proud of its military heritage.
While I'm thinking of Calgary, the museum of the regiments (or whatever its been bastardized into since the PPCLI left) might have some contacts.
The military police relay ride website might be worth a visit as well. http://www.mpnmrr.ca/
funds go to the MP blind kids fund, they might be willing to help you with a contact list or base support (free room and board while near a base)
When they came through last year it was quite the parade. lots of local riders joined in for a short run and were brought up on the base for a little welcome ceremony.
You should reach out to the oilpatch as well. Cenovus energy has a lot of ex military higher ups and have proven to be very generous locally here in Cold Lake.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #28
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,097
I understand the issues facing returning forces personnel,more importantly a group of us are involved in an organization to sue the Federal Government regarding the New Veteran's Charter.

http://equitassociety.ca

You are going to need some better kit for the trip, and a couch surfing plan to let you stay for free across the country.

What are your sizes, a lot of us have great gear just lying around unused due to sizing issues.

Is there a way we can ship stuff to you via the forces i.e. base to base.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
xxDUFFYxx OP
XR1200 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
have you tried other brand dealers? Riverside in St albert and Alberta cycle seem like the stand behind the troops and don't seem to be overly brand-centric.
Rudy Sr. at Scona cycle might be worth talking to as well. He is as true to the spirit of ADV riding as your likely to ever meet.
You might also get some better responses from other Harley dealerships out of town. Lloydminster has a decent one and the ones in Calgary might be more friendly as that city is still proud of its military heritage.
While I'm thinking of Calgary, the museum of the regiments (or whatever its been bastardized into since the PPCLI left) might have some contacts.
The military police relay ride website might be worth a visit as well. http://www.mpnmrr.ca/
funds go to the MP blind kids fund, they might be willing to help you with a contact list or base support (free room and board while near a base)
When they came through last year it was quite the parade. lots of local riders joined in for a short run and were brought up on the base for a little welcome ceremony.
You should reach out to the oilpatch as well. Cenovus energy has a lot of ex military higher ups and have proven to be very generous locally here in Cold Lake.
If anyone has contacts please forward my information , in retrospect I might have been better off choosing a different motorcycle for this trip with a company that would be more supportive but as it is and the thousands I've invested into this trip I'm going with the XR1200 , I'm not against working with any business . Things are slowly progressing and I secured some funds towards the costs of the trip and now will be fundraising primarily for Faces of Freedom which provides support to wounded combat veterans . My best friend MCpl Adam Cyr who was severely injured / nearly died and lost his right leg among many other injuries and 3 section mates were killed instantly after being hit by an anti-tank rocket in Afghanistan in 2008 is my partner in this fundraiser.

He is folding his small organization " Operation Good to Go" into it as a Canadian chapter although they are already a US / Canadian organization . Ultimately we decided that Soldier On isn't a good fit as it's a Federal Government run organization and it doesn't seem right to ask people to donate to the Government as we pay taxes for programs along with too much bureaucracy involved . Faces of Freedom and Wounded Warrior.org are more grassroots and are a better fit I feel.

Here is some info on the organization :
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/support-g...tress-1.518236
http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/media/...6-veterans.php
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #30
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
I didn't notice if you've mentioned Facebook anywhere...

But an active group on FB is Canadian Heroes.

They're starting to get leverage in Ottawa, and are very much involved out East...

Here's their link: Canadian Heroes

If you drop by Cold Lake, @ the other end of the 28, let me know!! We'll join up for a ride!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote