Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 891
http://www.nextodiusa.com/

Plug in the card, done.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
I just got a dell latitude 10.1 tablet with windows 8 it comes with 64gb storage and has an sd card slot and a usb port. I installed map source and I willtake this on the road with me for creating maps I put a 32 gb sdhc card for extra storage. this isn't my main computer but my travel one. I have only had it a few days so i am still getting use to it
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Tagger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Yep, this is an option, but i already have all my gear so if the tablet has a usb port i don't have a problem. And those things have been debated a lot in regards to speed etc. (but that's another discussion ;) )

Quote:
Cheers, this looks like a very good option, will investigate it more !

Quote:
FTP? The EyeFi I linked above will transfer to an FTP location, but via a host (PC or Smartphone/Tablet connected to WiFi network), so you can upload back to your home NAS.
Getting stuff to my NAS is no problem, i can connect to it, have every protocol enabled going from direct connection, ftp, vpn,... but if you're on a public wifi or none alltoghetter, good luck uploading a couple of gigs anywhere :)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
You never mentioned what camera or phone you have ...

I just sync my camera (or its SD card) to my iPhone (or iPad) directly and by the time that transfer is complete it is already in the iCloud safe and sound. I can delete my local storage to make more room and it stays in the iCloud.

If I am on the road and my wife is at home she can look at the pictures as soon as the load is complete.

If I have used my phone I can also access to them immediately by my iPad. The little doohickey which plugs into the iPad or iPhone for the SD card is a couple bucks off of eBay.

I do often carry a very small wifi router (by TRENDnet) for those places I run into which only have wired Ethernet. . The router size is about the size of a large packet of paper matches. So with every optional cable and connector it is about the size of a small paperback book. Less than $40 off of Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-300Mb.../dp/B002G1CLS0

Local storage is dying a rather rapid death ... in the Cloud storage is dropping in cost very rapidly. The more you buy the cheaper it is ..

blitzkreig screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 07:06 PM
blitzkreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
I also was concerned about the hard drive on my laptop (I used to use a MacBook), I ended up giving the MacBook to my daughter and bought a MacBook Air. It has been in my saddle bag on 3 cross country trips and numerous shorter trips and hasn't missed a beat. The MacBook air comes with a SSD so it is immune to vibration.

Having a full fledged computer allows me to get some work done on the road too if I need to. I have MS Office on it so it is fully compatible with my work computer as well as BaseCamp for mapping, etc.

For dumping pictures at the end of the day, if I have internet access or cell service, I upload everything to one of my Cloud accounts (I have a free 2 gig account with DropBox, a free 25 gig account with PogoPlug and a free 20 gig account with Box, if you keep an eye on Slickdeals.net the free Cloud storage deals come up often). If I don't have internet access, I have enough room on the MacBook Air to store a few days worth of pictures. If I know that I won't have internet access for a while, I carry a portable ruggedized 500 gig hard drive (you can pick one up for less than$100).
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #21
Tagger OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig View Post
You never mentioned what camera or phone you have ...
I did mention this in a previous post, a canon 7D (with 1 picture +- 25 MB, moviefiles a lot more). And like i mentioned i don't need a dropbox acount or anything because i have unlimited (well, couple of TB) storage on my computer at home. The only problem is making sure i have a stable internetconnection, so i want to build my set up on the idea that i don't have that. (better to aim for that than the other way around).

I also had a rugged HDD on my last trip which served me well, i basicly copied everything on my laptop and the HDD as a backup in case one of the two decided to die.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #22
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Silly me I guess, I just have multiple memory cards. Some as small as 4G some as high as 32G.

I have them numbered on the back in Sharpie marker, 1, 2, 3, etc., you get the idea.

Works for me.

I do carry a Netbook on my bike if I travel out of state, but mostly so I have something to do if I get rained out, and end up in a coffee shop for the day. I have my Netbook rigged with PhotoShop, and sometimes I will load some pics and choose a couple to start manipulating to pass the time.

I do realize there are "modern" ways of doing this, so call me old school. I worked 30+ years in an area of photography where one could not possibly go back and "re do" images. When digital came about, I saw people whom chose to fumble in the field to clear their "cards". I also saw people space out images, damage files during transfer, etc.. It also violated the chain of evidence in my application, so it was a general no-no.

In the end, I just carry multiple cards and have a little case they get protected in. I am not so vain that I must send pics home before I return home. Mostly, there is no one at home to see them anyway. For those that think they need to shoot in raw, Ken Rockwell will tell you that for most of us, it's silly.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Great topic just the same you guys, one of those no right or wrong answer things, so I don't mean to start a war.

But I indeed used to finish them
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognosticator View Post
I just got a dell latitude 10.1 tablet with windows 8 it comes with 64gb storage and has an sd card slot and a usb port. I installed map source and I willtake this on the road with me for creating maps I put a 32 gb sdhc card for extra storage. this isn't my main computer but my travel one. I have only had it a few days so i am still getting use to it
How did you install Mapsource?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWIN-The Real VTWIN View Post
How did you install Mapsource?
The Latitude runs a 32bit Win 8 OS, mapsource would install just fine. Finding space on the disk, however...
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #25
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
The Latitude runs a 32bit Win 8 OS, mapsource would install just fine. Finding space on the disk, however...

No problem with space. I have installed avast, mapsource, and a lot of other software and I have used 23gb of the 64 gb in the latitiude and I have the 32gb card with nothing on it.
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #26
Tagger OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
one of those no right or wrong answer things, so I don't mean to start a war.
exacly, it's just a nice train of tought to see what the techiques are at our disposal and how to make the best adventage of it.
In the end I did just fine with my laptop last time and if those tablets didn't exist i would do it again without question.
Nice to see what works for other people and maybe learn a thing or two while we're at it, no right or wrong answers, old school has its place in this discussion. :)

I come from a movie-industry background where people are also faced with these questions all the time, be it on a vastly different scale :)

And i shoot raw for just about anything except stuff like timelapses (=postproduction hell/waste of space) ... and i have my reasons, but that's another topic :P basicly this thread is "i have the huge amount of data, what to do with it" :)

Which brings us back to the SD card thing, which is just fine, but having to buy over 10 32gb SD cards would put it in the pricerange where there are other solutions at hand
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
InDenial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
thinking of getting a go pro. How many hours of recording do you get on a 32GB card? 64GB? Does the camera record as well with either a 32 or 64? Thanks
InDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #28
Tagger OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
thinking of getting a go pro. How many hours of recording do you get on a 32GB card? 64GB? Does the camera record as well with either a 32 or 64? Thanks
The problem i found with the gopro (hero2, don't know if the 3 solved this) was that when your battery runs out while filming you get a lot of corrupt files. For this reason i bought 2 16GB cards because they work out better with a batterycycle (switch them around when i switch battery).

But there are different threads on this forum about this subject.

About the tablet, after doing some research i found that something like the dell latitude 10.1 or the MS surface pro would fit my needs the best. I can still hold off buying one for a couple of months so i'll see how they evolve (reviews/competition/price) :)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
Depends on the resolution, Using a 32G card shot with 1080P/60FPS on the H3B will give you about 2.5 hrs of vid. We shoot allot of GP video, 2 cams for an entire weekend = a few hundred GB of video, till they come out with a cheap 1TB SSD I'll be using standard disk drives.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
For those that think they need to shoot in raw, Ken Rockwell will tell you that for most of us, it's silly.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm
nice article ... truth is the less fiddly the better. sure there are time raw is appropriate when one is doing formal set shots taking hours.

output is set for both raw and jpg .. end result is only jpg are used, raw gets archived. creating yet more storage headaches.

too bad tablets will not run Garmin software that allows planning of routes. that would be a requirement at minimum. otherwise tablets could do the job of uploading files, email, etc.

been checking out all the ultra books, macbook air, surface pro, etc....

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:48 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote