User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
ER-6 n or f for long distance touring?

Surfing online, the reviews of Kawasaki's ER-6 n or f are all exceptionally positive and quite favorable. The ER is somewhat similar to the Ninja, with an upright seating position. I just had a F650GS - great technology but torture chambre for ass, back and neck... Anyone knows anything about the ER-6 and long distance touring? Oh, no, not the Versy. The ER-6.
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
ER-6 n or f for long distance touring?

Anyone with any experience of long distance touring with an ER-6 n or f? Not the Versy nor the Ninja: the ER-6 by Kawa. I saw one in Thailand with all farkles (hard aluminium cases, headlight protector, bash guard, etc etc...). Very impressive!!!
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
The ER-6N is just the Ninja without its clothes. The ER-6F is the Ninja 650R in this part of the world, so your post is a little confusing.

Plenty of long distance farkles WRT luggage, better tires, tip-over protection, taller screens, etc.

I had a pleasant 25k miles on my '06, lots of 700 mile days, one over 900. That was with the Kawasaki OEM +1" seat, more comfy than stock.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
Surfing online, the reviews of Kawasaki's ER-6 n or f are all exceptionally positive and quite favorable. The ER is somewhat similar to the Ninja, with an upright seating position. I just had a F650GS - great technology but torture chambre for ass, back and neck... Anyone knows anything about the ER-6 and long distance touring? Oh, no, not the Versy. The ER-6.
The two are very similar, ER6 and Versys, with the latter getting the nod as a more capable and versatile bike. I put about 8K on my versys, it's a fun little bike, but has some quirks and wear on you. Namely harsh suspension and buzzy motor, but otherwise a pretty much bulletproof bike. Sold it for a Triumph Tiger 800XC. Absolutely lightyears better.

There are some pretty spectacular long distance trips that have been reported on the versys owners forum. I suggest you look there: http://kawasakiversys.com/

The ER6 has shorter suspension and the ninja motor tune. The Versys has longer travel and tuned for more lowend torque. The '6 is really an urban conventional streetbike. There are better choices for something long distance. The sister bike (versys) would be a start, but certainly there are others. At least the Versys would give you the road capability your F650 lacks. They are pretty limited for any off-pavement going though with the 17" front.

This is how I had my Versys setup for long distance:

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
If you like the low bar/rearset peg sportbike riding position it should be fine. I would rather have the Versys.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
While not as relaxed as the Versys, the er-6n/f/650r is more relaxed than the ex500 was by a fair bit - (13 degree lean angle vs 22 degree on the ex500 for a 5'10" person).

Similar lean angle as the BMW f800R, and that was fine, especially for a bike with some wind.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you like the low bar/rearset peg sportbike riding position it should be fine. I would rather have the Versys.
Without getting into another of your famous geriatric ergonomic diatribes, there is really not anything rearset about the pegs, nor low about the bars. Given that the OP has already dismissed the Versys, I trust he knows already what he finds comfortable. If you have nothing constructive to add, please move along.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,438
Damn kids and their crazy race track only ninja bikes!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

I bought that lid and jacket because they matched my orangey-red GS500E that was my first bike.

Ever since I saw that picture, I have only bought grey gear and white helmets.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,438
Wearing a bunch of space alien clothes too, crazy stunter nut-jobs and their rocket bikes!

I get black stuff all the time, matches everything too.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
If you do feel a little cramped on the ER6 you can get footpeg lowering blocks and a bar riser. I run both on my Ninja and hated how the Versys felt when i tried it on a Kawi demo day.
Other bikes include a DRZ and KLR so i'm no stranger to the open ergos.

As far as long distance I think the one generally agreed upon need is a new/reworked seat. The bike will handle it fine.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Without getting into another of your famous geriatric ergonomic diatribes, there is really not anything rearset about the pegs, nor low about the bars. Given that the OP has already dismissed the Versys, I trust he knows already what he finds comfortable. If you have nothing constructive to add, please move along.

Yes, I will move along. But in the picture you posted, the pegs are obviously rearset, they are behind the riders knees. Pegs that are straight down from the riders knees are standard, pegs that are out in front of the riders knees are forward. I also don't see any bend in the riders elbows. It's nowhere near as bad as some bikes, but I would still go for the Versys. You'll notice I stated that if the OP liked the riding position of the ER-6N, it is a good bike, as is the Ninja. But they are not for everybody.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
er6f ninja 650r is definitely capable touring. no doubt.
seat is a bit on the edge for days over 600km though, so I got a airhawk.

otherwise, its my knees that suffer next, but only because I dont take enough pauses!
check http://cycle-ergo.com/

zero gravity st High windshield if you dont mind the added buffeting.
added sw motech 37L alu evo black side cases, without the blinkers mod is fine.
love it, although a bit wide, but top opening is the way to go. far more useful.

dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
quickstang87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I've got just a hair under 40k miles on my '07 650R. My longest trip so far is 3000 miles in about 4 days. I have a decent ammount of mods to it though.

No windshield (try it before you knock it)
Heated grips
Airhawk seat cushion
Soft bags
HIDs
GPS mount and 12V cigarette plug

I recently put my name into the hat for a Russell day long sport seat and I should be getting my seahorse 720 cases real soon.

The only thing left now is the suspension, which needs work in a bad way.

Are there better bikes out there? Of course. But for me the light weight, good mileage and cheap cost make this an almost perfect bike. Plus it's cool to be different. I mean, who tours on a Ninja?
quickstang87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
But they are not for everybody.
Jerry, you stated in another thread that you drive a 72 Ford Pinto and your favorite bike is a Vulcan 750. You, more than anyone posting here, should not be telling anyone else what is "not for everybody"