Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #16
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
Upper alps and Dolomites will have to wait I guess.
The problem is that once you have a taste, it will continue to eat at you until you go back to see what you missed the first time.

I say this as I'm gearing up for trip #10...
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Michael,

Let me know when you're coming back and maybe I'll meet ya at a pass.

Ciao,
Frank
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,136
And if you fancy a beer or three when you're here, lemme know :)

or if you just wanna know where to go in Vienna whilst you're here etc
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twawsi View Post
Let me know when you're coming back and maybe I'll meet ya at a pass.
I'll be at the Al Forte hotel just east of Arabba from July 17th - 20th with the AlpineRoads.com crew, and sorta plan to be in Aviano for a couple of days prior to that, assuming that they have room at the TLQ.

We should be able to work something out
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
aquamax
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
So I have 5 free days in Vienna after a Geophysical Union Conference, 12-17 April 2013.

Vienna is really just a launching place to me for a quick bike ride into the Alps. BMW Motorrad will rent me a GS800 for 160 Euros per day with a 700 km per day max. Though the mileage minuimum is OK, it seems a little pricey. I have nothing to gauge against though.

Honda and Yamaha don't seem to be players in the Teutonic rental market. Acejones and someone else did such rentals but that was a honeymoon and some extra expense is understandable.

Anyone got suggestions for a cheaper way for a 55 year old, safe Canadian rider to do a lightweight ride through the region?

Thanks,

Lee (Frostback)
Hi Lee,
I´m sorry, that I don´t write back earlier, but i was not in the forum the last weeks. First I have to say, that I live in Innsbruck, this is about 550 km west from vienna and so I´m not familiar with bike rentals in vienna. Look here:

http://www.gebrauchtbikes.at/motorradverleih.php

In my oppinion this is a fair offer (with no km limitation). When you come to austria in april it is quite early in the year - especially in the higher mountains you will find a lot of snow and some of the most interesting roads (as for example the Grossglockner Hochalpenstraße - http://www.grossglockner.at/ is closed. You find more information about routes in the alps and closed passes here: http://alpenrouten.de/alpenpaesse-ve...ersperren.html

It is a great difference in wheater between beginning and end of april. If you are coming to tyrol, it would be a great pleasure for me to show you some nice places and if you want to, i have also a room for you.

Don´t hesitate to contact me, if you have any more questions.
Kind regards
Chris
aquamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
hey lee,

i live about 75km west of vienna (as the crow flies). just north of the alps, and around here, there are plenty nice roads to ride around this time of the year. especially the area around the small town of "Mariazell" is by some people descriped as "sportsbike heaven". but you don´t have to be on a sportbike to enjoy it!
if you´re interested, i can tell you a route from vienna to this area, all nice roads.

cheers
josef

edit: unfortunatley, my bikes are currently being rebuilt (buell), waiting for service (ducati), unsuitable (husky) or for sale, otherwise i would have offered you one of mine to do the trip much cheaper.

Seppo screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 05:53 AM
Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Hello! 700km per day in the Alps is almost impossible, if you want to stop for some views, take some pics and get something to eat. You will be riding mostly on twisty mountains roads and do several thousand height meters per day, instead. So why not try to negotiate a lower dayly mileage (500km should still be sufficient!) and instead get a lowered daily rate?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Frostback OP
Frostback

Oddometer: 219
Seppo - Thanks for the tip and the generosity intentions. I am probavly looking at the biggest road worthy scooter I can find at tjat time of year. the bike shops don't seem to be geared up for rentals this early. I may stop in and inquire though. Agreed on the 700 km per day. Only on long runs would that be helpful and averaged over 5 days I would be fin with 300 km days thrown in.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
hey,

I checked prices on the biggest austrian motobike site (1000ps.at)
they also list rental bikes from most companys in austria
http://www.1000ps.at/motorrad-miete-verleih
for example, they list a BMW F800GS for 120euros/day, 700km free. and if you rent it for 4-6 days, you can get it for 110euros/day.
http://www.1000ps.at/leihmotorrad-bm...adzentrum-4615
altough i think its the same company that you inquired.

edit: you might wanna check the weather forecast. doesn´t look good this year, its way colder then normal for this time of the year. and it should stay like this for the next two weeks. maybe you should look for a bike with good wind protection and heated grips/gear...

2nd edit: here´s a link to a weatherforecast for the town of Mariazell, the most popular spot for riders around here: 16 day weatherforecast for mariazell

Seppo screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 11:03 PM
Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #25
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
It certainly is a long winter this year although the ground is warming and the snow starting to retreat. It is still cold enough to settle on the roads higher up but clears quickly.
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,136
Good skiing last week in Obertauern and Katzenburg - but they were calling for snow-chains last weekend. Plenty of riding to be done in and around Vienna though, just as long as you don't go all that high.

Or just say bugger it and grab some skis
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
Frostback OP
Frostback

Oddometer: 219
A thanks to all the local and not so local experts that steered me toward a great 5 days of riding.

Here is the trip report too:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=frostback

If that doesn't get you there, it is in Ride Reports under "Austria, Slovakia, Volcanos and Badger Butts" by Frostback.

Thanks guys.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #28
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Michael J
Once you have taste you dream of the next trip, you are right. After a couple of years renting in Italy, my bike is in a container on its way to stefans. my question for you is how well dose your bike run each year after sitting for a year or so ? Do you add fuel stabilizer before you leave each year and do you cover it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
Once you have taste you dream of the next trip, you are right.
Trip #10 coming right up

Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
...how well dose your bike run each year after sitting for a year or so ? Do you add fuel stabilizer before you leave each year and do you cover it.
No problems yet. It will have been sitting for two years now, and so it may be a bit more reluctant. I usually put it on a trickle charger overnight so that the battery will be happy. I've also found that it starts easier if I reconnect the battery before trying to start it (it's disconnected from the bike for storage, but still connected to the Powerlet receptacle for charging). When prepping for storage, I give the bike a healthy dose of Stabil (which Stefan keeps on hand) and take it out for a 5-10 minute ride to insure that the treated fuel is in the entire system.

Stefan has two bike storage locations. Short term and staging is at his facility on Hardtstrasse. Long term is at a warehouse in Heidelberg. I heard that it's the local BMW dealer's facility, but can't confirm that. I assume that the bikes aren't covered.

Not sure what else to say. His facility is about 250 meters from the train station (Heidelberg Kirchheim) and you can get a train directly from the airport (Frankfurt) to there with one change at Mannheim.

At his facility, he has a pretty complete shop that he makes available for a small fee and/or can do some of the work for you - I've asked him to put fresh tires on my bike for this year.

He has 4 rooms that he rents out, which makes it VERY handy for prepping the bike either for the ride or for storage. He has two storage rooms at the place - long term for your side & top cases, and a short term for your traveling bags while you're on the bike.

Some pics of his place on page 9 of this gallery
Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #30
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Michael j Thanks for the info. 35 days left to dream and many more years to come.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote