ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
2012 690 enduro to smc conversion question

Hello all, new to the site. I am wanting a set of road wheels for my 2012 690 enduro r. Can anyone advise if a set of : -

KTM 690 LC4 SMC4 SUPERMOTO 2006-2009 WHEELS

will work on this model or do i require the SMC\SMCR wheels from a similar year?

I was advised that the SMC has the axle directly in the centre of the bottom of the forks and the enduro R has them off center towards the front. Can anyone confirm this and if it poses a problem for the conversion? I have read the articles on the conversion but i believe it was on the older model enduro. Has anyone done the conversion on a 2012 enduro? I seen a set of BST wheels for the job going at about 2700! Feck that!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Oh, if anyone wants an MT500, gimmie a shout
fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs
 
nevgriff64's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 13,135
Welcome to the Forum, fergy2106.


Lets send this off to Thumpers for you mate. Orange Crush is for the KTM950/990 twins.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: West Michigan
Oddometer: 150
Here is a package with everything you need, tube-less:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-endu...moto-wheel-set
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy2106 View Post
Hello all, new to the site. I am wanting a set of road wheels for my 2012 690 enduro r. Can anyone advise if a set of : -

KTM 690 LC4 SMC4 SUPERMOTO 2006-2009 WHEELS

will work on this model or do i require the SMC\SMCR wheels from a similar year?

I was advised that the SMC has the axle directly in the centre of the bottom of the forks and the enduro R has them off center towards the front. Can anyone confirm this and if it poses a problem for the conversion? I have read the articles on the conversion but i believe it was on the older model enduro. Has anyone done the conversion on a 2012 enduro? I seen a set of BST wheels for the job going at about 2700! Feck that!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Oh, if anyone wants an MT500, gimmie a shout
The off set axle location is not a problem. There's no difference in ANY of the years including yours as far as fit goes.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
creedyflyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Port Stephens NSW Australia
Oddometer: 169
Just finished the conversion Myself. Straight swap, 15 min job. Mine are 2009 SMC wheels with 40t rear sprocket & Avon Distanzia's. Do it, you will love it.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedyflyr View Post
Just finished the conversion Myself. Straight swap, 15 min job. Mine are 2009 SMC wheels with 40t rear sprocket & Avon Distanzia's. Do it, you will love it.
Nice job there. Just left bike in last night for first service. Aparently the previous owner put on the stronger rear shock collar and a stiffer rear spring so should be better suited to the conversion. Trying to get the original spring gathered up also.

Cheers for all the replies and links. I will get up some shots of the yoke in due course. Hope to head up to and check out Cleggan Forest for some snorting about soon.

Anyone know of locations in Ireland (North and South) that "permit" riding in this sort of terrain? All I really know of are fire service roads round Fews Forest and a few others but i suspect i am not actually permitted to use them but no complaints as yet.

Wales is full of this shit but laws are different in Ireland.

Cheers again for the help lads, keep her smokin.

fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
KTM DUKE 690 lc4 2010 wheels?

Anyone know if a set of wheels off a KTM DUKE 690 lc4 2010 would do the job? Are the same or completely different?

I know they are not wire spokes but this is a good thing in my opinion.

The KTMTwins.com kit is ideal but if I can source the wheels locally and second hand it would be better.
fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
Wheels GOT, Oh Yeah!

Got a set of wheels recently with boots, sprocket carrier etc all still fitted. Just need to swap of the disc and wait on the 42 read sprocket to arrive.

I have a front disc going from the old front wheel if anyone wants it. I think its the 320mm as it is bigger. The guy i got the gear from states the wheels came off a 2010 SMC so its there if anyone wants it (pm me).

I will get pictures taken before and after the swap and fire them up here once all the bits arrive and are fitted.
fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
Pic test

Here is the misus at a spot i hit sometimes. Fecking cold ass day.

fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #10
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
17" wheels on with a set of Maxxis, speedo adjusted to length 1870 and a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Took for a short burn this morning and liking it. Thinking i might go up a tooth or two again on the rear for more punch but will keep the current setup for a while to get on to it.

My thoughts on the conversion? Piece of piss and well worth it to have two bikes for the price of one.

Big thanks to creedyflyr for the sound advice and all above who helped also.

Pic to come (when the DAM RAIN) clears off.
fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy2106 View Post
17" wheels on with a set of Maxxis, speedo adjusted to length 1870 and a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Took for a short burn this morning and liking it. Thinking i might go up a tooth or two again on the rear for more punch but will keep the current setup for a while to get on to it.

My thoughts on the conversion? Piece of piss and well worth it to have two bikes for the price of one.

Big thanks to creedyflyr for the sound advice and all above who helped also.

Pic to come (when the DAM RAIN) clears off.
The 690 is so much at home in the SM setup. Mines spent most of it's life as a SM.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The 690 is so much at home in the SM setup. Mines spent most of it's life as a SM.
Albie, what size sprockets are you running front and back?
fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dep411's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 150
Nice bikes guys.,

if anyone knows any leads on some sm wheels for the 690 please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it I can't drop the kinda loot that KTM Twins charge :(
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
caribooster
Not enough time...
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Langley & Cariboo, BC
Oddometer: 42
[QUOTE=fergy2106;21152053]

I have a front disc going from the old front wheel if anyone wants it. PM you on the front disc.
caribooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #15
fergy2106 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norn Iron
Oddometer: 10
I was the same with the KTM Twins cost and shipping to Northern Ireland but the fecking import duty was the final nails in the coffin. Fecking gov get more than enough as it is!.

I was lucky enough to track a guy down in England who was breaking a 2010 smc so pounced when i had the chance.

Play the long game and keep an eye out.

Good luck.

fergy2106 screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 09:07 AM
fergy2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014