Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #11
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2012 View Post
CY...

Thanks for your reply, and info... Now that got me thinking, so thought id share some thoughts, see if you have any answers...

04 R1100S, 10k miles, Original BMW Battery, 19mah gel i think, with a don't sell date of end 07, bike sold new end of 07...

Our summer temps 80f to 90f, winter down around the 30f, summer now, and while riding around town the other day, stop start at many lights, i decided to kill the motor at lights using the kill switch, which means the lights on, indicator on, ignition still live, when the lights go green hit the starter and go...

So the thinking is not to sit idling for ages, getting the motor temps up, but obviously putting more stress on the battery and starter...

How much juice is being used doing that, and would a Shorai handle that...

The listed Shorai battery for my bike is LFX21L6-BS12

I use Lipo, and Life batteries in model planes, and have the charging gear with balancers...
Keen to save a lot of weight, standard battery is 6.4kg...

I figure i shall need to replace the battery before long, its got to be on the way out for its age if nothing else, really surprised its still there, and working...

Cheers Jeremy
what you are describing will put a brutal drain on proposed Shorai LFX21 ... turning motor off for several minutes with about 11 amp draw, if your bike has 2x 55watt headlights. then starting motor ...

then repeat for unknown number of times in traffic without allowing engine ample time to charge battery back up.

Shorai LFX 21 measured about 6 amp hour under a 1C discharge ... this means that battery will sustain 6 amp drain for one hour. or 30 minutes under 12amp discharge.

your headlights don't understand PB/EQ .. they drain real amps.

my recommendations are Odyssey 925 with 26AH, unfortunately 24lb... otherwise Shorai LFX36 with about 12AH (actual) might do it .. if you charged to full before you started and your total down time not exceed 60 minutes @ 12amp drain.

you'd be better off turning off bike with key, killing everything including lights during stops

watch this video, which stress LFX18 battery very similar to what you described

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:47 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote