User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
alivfr750 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Kosovo & Albania

Pretty new to this site so please bear with me. Heading to the Balkans with some mates in June. Plan is down through Slovenia, Serbia heading towards Kosovo. Been to Slov, Croatia before so know there are not many probs associated with them, however was wondering what, there still are any issues getting in/out of Kosovo as the intention is to head to Albania. Similarly never been to Albania so any info re places to see etc would be welcomed. If anybody has any advice re things we should know I would welcome it.

Ali
Scotland
alivfr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Kopteri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi! I was in kosovo for one year in 2005, peacekeeping... Kosovo is quite safe now a days, criminality is quite high but if you act normally and dont plan to mess with bad guys, you gonna be fine...what comes to Serbian-Kosovon border, it is probably closed so use some else to get in..
There is quite a lot to see, monasterys with wine sales, historical places and war sites...
Go in peace and enjoy your ride!!
Kopteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
tomaszl
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm not sure I let you into Albania from Kosovo stamp, the Albani is safe, people are very nice. would recommend you to Shkoder route by Puke
route sh 22, sh 23 to Kukes. Kukes Hotel In America
tomaszl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Not in Ride Reports, moved to RF: Europe.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,584
Travelled Macedonia - Kosovo - Albania - Montenegro in September 2011; no problem in Kosovo or Albania although one of the Albanian border officers got a bit stroppy. Lovely people in Kosovo. Albania too but be careful; if there's a lorry coming towards you, someone will overtake it whether you're there or not. You have to get out of their way.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Albania too but be careful; if there's a lorry coming towards you, someone will overtake it whether you're there or not. You have to get out of their way.
I second this. Albania has been the only place where I came very very close to being knocked off my bike, you need eyes everywhere.

Come and ride with us - Oxford TRF
www.trf.org.uk
Dr JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 802
I have done Albania last year. Very cool and easy. Few tarmac roads.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835629

PM if you want more info.

Ciao

Nic
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Had no problem getting into Albania form Montengro or out into Macedonia in 2008

We are planning a trip to Albania for this September and also looking at possible routes including Kosovo & Serbia

What the government say..

Since the introduction of Republic of Kosovo stamps, we are aware of incidents where foreign nationals, including those from the United Kingdom, have been denied entry to Serbia if they have these stamps in their passports, and the Serbian authorities may not allow you to travel into Serbia if you hold these stamps. We are also aware of isolated incidents where Serbian authorities have cancelled Kosovo stamps in passports of foreign nationals. Foreign nationals are less likely to experience entry problems if they travelled into Kosovo from Serbia and are returning via the same route, or are travelling via Albania, Macedonia or Montenegro

Hope that helps

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
I have done Albania last year. Very cool and easy. Few tarmac roads.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835629

PM if you want more info.

Ciao

Nic
Funny, I think I met you on one of the Special Stages but had no time to talk .

Maybe you recognize the places in my movies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wci5NgRJP2A

GezwindeSpoed screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 02:53 AM
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
mark_87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I used to live in Albania several year ago and have been around the Balkans on holidays since. Great place of the world to see. I hope to go back on my bike someday.

I'm sure things have changes in recent years but when I was living there normally there were no major problems at borders, just had to sit around and wait a lot.... Any problems were able to be sorted, normally by some stranger at the border (I think its what they did to pass the time). Like I said I'm sure its much easier and quicker now. When I have been back on holidays its always been by train or plane and it has been like going into any other country.

Another point is not to leave you bike anywhere without security or with anything left on it, but that goes for any country these days. Again several years ago now but cars being broken into were quite normal when I was there.
mark_87 is offline   Reply With Quote