User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Pintobuds OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1966 Yamaha YA6

Earlier this week, I picked up this 66' YA6. I have had a couple of bikes, some old, some new, but my only experience with 2-stoke's is in older 50cc mopeds i.e. puch, garelli, honda. Bought this YA6 as a titled non runner. Brought it home, put some 2 stroke in the autolube and gas in the tank and couldn't get it to turn over. I next went to the battery and found that the 20 amp fuse in the regulator was blown so I replaced that. One kick, fired right up. I have messed with the idling a bit to get it running nice, took it on about 2 trips, not too far just to make sure that everything is in working order. This bike runs, drives, and shifts perfect! I am new to this site and wanted to share my find with some people that have more knowledge about the bike than me and have any pointers. The story of the bike is this... It was a display bike at a local yamaha dealership, sat for years and years. Recently because of a move, the dealership auctioned off bikes, parts, etc. to make room in their new location. From the naked eye, the carb and oil pump seem to have been gone over, the tires are practically brand new, and a new petcock is installed. All lights work, battery is brand new, but the auto start doesn't want to turn over, sounds very weak. Also, after some research, would I be correct in stating that this 66' is a Santa Barbara Model? Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys, hope you enjoy!

Pintobuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
zookster
Chupacabra

Oddometer: 617
Don't know much about the old Yammies so can't help you there but that is a nice looking bike. Good find!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Excellent catch, I dont remember much about the small Yamahas other than the twin jet and big bear. Fine little bike

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Pintobuds OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Me either. I can't find too much info about these besides value; that being said, I know that I stole this. It did come with the original owners from 66' with plenty of greasy prints all over, so I know the bike has been gone over once or twice. With my young age, any input, mainly first hand experience, is taken with great value....I know someone out there has had one of these back in the day and can report on the bike.
Pintobuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,077
Well first thing I would do is replace the main seals, they rot and kill engines, next if you need more info, you can go to 2stroke world and ask there are lots of info on them old bikes parts are still out there

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
The YA-6 was called the Santa Barbara, and it is a 125cc rotary valve engine. They quit building them when they came out with the 5 port piston engines The starter is called a starter-Dynamo and it has brushes that wear, so they might need to be replacedand cleaned. Also make sure the battery is fully charged, as this system requires a strong battery.My step-dad was a dealer in the 60's and I still have alot of his service manuals. As to new old stock parts, the place to go is Speed and Sports, they have a lot of NOS parts for old yamaha's.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,028
I may still have a new headlight ring for one of those.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
Great find..

I never saw a complete bike.. But I worked for the Queensland Yamaha importers. They imported a complete motor as spare parts, with a race kit & put it in a little "slider" frame for dirt racing. It did really well back in the mid 60s.
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
Sweet.

That would look good in one's living room .
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
bigdolla
VROOOMMM!!!

Oddometer: 1
It is a YA6 but not a "santa barbara"

Your bike is a YA6 but not the "Santa Barbara" model. The SB is all red and has the round tuning fork logo on the tank. Honestly, There are only a few minor differences between the models. I have some sales brochures and documentation i can post up if you need it. BTW, I am restoring a YA6-SB right now!
bigdolla is offline   Reply With Quote