Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #14686
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
Has anyone ever seen these on a DR 350 before? Im yet to see any pictures of a bike with them on it..this was an entire KIT that i snagged off ebay by sheer luck. Sure it was expensive, but i like them! thought it'd be some cool farkle to add to the bike!!
They look great! They just need a bunch of mud all over them :> I can't recall what you paid, but who cares as long as you love 'em.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #14687
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 239
Nice bike and ride pics there Wadester! Are those dual headlights both on on low? Who makes that one with the adj. windscreen? I was thinking about Trail Tech's $275 8" race light along with Turbo City's windscreen but I kinda like your setup. 1 more question:Is that sweet looking Monticello canyon out North West of you around Emory Pass? Thanks.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #14688
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 239
CycleRacks on DR 350 S ?

I thought about putting one of they're mega racks on my DR but they are not sure if it bolts onto the S street model cause they made em for the dirt model.
Anyone know if there is a mounting difference between the dirt and street versions for the CycleRacks rack? Thanks.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #14689
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Mud is fairly rare out here in the southwestern desert, but last October I did a lovely ride thru the Monticello Box canyon. The "road" is often the streambed, mostly sand/gravel, but some muddy spots - nothing too deep.

This is the exit from the box:

That picture brought back fond memories of a ride through that canyon. We made regular DS trips to Las Cruces in the late 90's/early 2000's.

I think I need to go back.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #14690
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
^^^ awesome info ^^^

I'll measure my new never mounted T63 and post for comparison. Given your 2000 miles of T63 experience would you buy them again? Any other tires on you bike you prefer or suggest avoiding?
I would have no problem with buying another set of T63's. The only other tires I've run on this bike were the stock Dunlops - which are no longer available, and sucked bad in the dirt.

Quote:
And because someone will ask, what's that headlight? The windscreen?
They are one unit. The Lynx, handmade in Canuckistan by Britannia Composites: http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...roducts/lynx16

A bit pricey at $540, but that gets you the fairing, the windshield, and the dual Hella driving lights - one low, one high beam - with wiring harness/relays.

I added an EasternBeaver aux power block, mounted the stock instruments, put on a GPS mount, and there is room inside the fairing to mount the ballasts for HID lamps. I wired mine for low always on, and the "S" stator keeps up well. Minimal dimming at idle on low beam. If I've got the high beam on (both lights) I get a fair bit of dimming at idle, but it's fine with just a bit of RPM.
There is not a specific mount kit for DR350, so I had to make a mount plate to work with the '92 upper triple. Normal mount slips the "dash" under the bar mounts, but they are cast in on mine. The "dash" is HDPE and is easily trimmed to fit.
The windshield works great! I'm 5'9", and with the windshield up, it keeps the wind/turbulence off my torso and helmet at highway speed. Slide it down, and you're good for the trail. You can loosen the 2 wingbolts to allow the windshield to slide w/o dismounting, so no biggie to change as needed.

Quote:
The rack?
The base rack is a stock Suzuki unit (off ebay) with a GIVI E250 universal monokey mount plate on it. I snap on a E52 trunk for commuting.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #14691
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
1 more question:Is that sweet looking Monticello canyon out North West of you around Emory Pass? Thanks.
Emory Pass is on NM152. Monticello Canyon is north of there - find Monticello, NM on Google Map and follow NM142 north/west thru the canyon, and it lets you out on NM52 between Winston and Dusty. Beautiful.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #14692
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Help! Name that part!

Hi All,

First ride on the new (we'll, new to me) DR350s and an oil plug rattled loose. I think I noticed in time and stopped riding, so thankfully no evidence of permanent damage. Suppose I should have tightened everything before I went out; but tightening bolts isnt exactly part of my pre-ride check. Obviously not how I wanted my first outing to go....

Anyway, can you guys help me identify the part so I can order a new one? I believe its the view-port for the oil level, but I could be wrong. The hole is definitely threaded if that helps.

KonaTheHusky screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 10:05 AM
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #14693
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,697
I think thats the cold oil level drip hole?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #14694
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
I think thats the cold oil level drip hole?
Cold Oil Drip Hole? The hole is threaded if that helps. I was definitely leaking oil, I had just gained about 800ft of elevation when it happened, and the during that elevation gain there was a significant temp drop (I'd guess 10-15 F).
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #14695
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
Speaking of graphics, found some left overs on Ebay from when Dualsport-fx did custom DR-350 stuff. Hope this helps people with some project somewhere.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DUALSPORT-FX-...ht_4616wt_1163
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #14696
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Cold Oil Drip Hole? The hole is threaded if that helps. I was definitely leaking oil, I had just gained about 800ft of elevation when it happened, and the during that elevation gain there was a significant temp drop (I'd guess 10-15 F).

It's nothing crucial Mate it does nothing more than fill a hole , I just had a look at a couple of cases I have and any bolt would do that's 6mm with about 10mm of thread .A little loctite and you will be done .
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #14697
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hi All,

First ride on the new (we'll, new to me) DR350s and an oil plug rattled loose. I think I noticed in time and stopped riding, so thankfully no evidence of permanent damage. Suppose I should have tightened everything before I went out; but tightening bolts isnt exactly part of my pre-ride check. Obviously not how I wanted my first outing to go....

Anyway, can you guys help me identify the part so I can order a new one? I believe its the view-port for the oil level, but I could be wrong. The hole is definitely threaded if that helps.

Looks like # 18 & 19.... http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...ER_MODEL_R_S_T
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #14698
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
It's nothing crucial Mate it does nothing more than fill a hole , I just had a look at a couple of cases I have and any bolt would do that's 6mm with about 10mm of thread .A little loctite and you will be done .
Thanks shearboy2004 and 2bold2getold. Your input lines up really well since the description of the part 2bold linked shows 6x10 bolt with washer. Thanks guys - next stop: hardware store.

PS: Shearboy, are you saying I shouldn't worry too much about this incident? I'd hate to have done damage on my first ride out! She was running strong with no strange noises right up until the moment I shut her down and parked her. There was some burning oil smell, but it seemed to originate from the manifold (oil splatter found its way there), and not from the crank case.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #14699
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
Mate if the oil level didn't drop too far and you have no new top end noises it will be good to go .

About the only thing that kills these engines is letting oil level get to low , starves the top end and will ruin cam bearings and lifters . Always check the oil level at the end of your days riding as they have a habit of wet sumping over night and it's impossible to get an accurate reading when they are cold , you can start them in the morning or before a ride and run it for 10 mins and check but as many will say here the most accurate reading you will get is at the end of the day .Once you get to know the bike you will know if it uses any oil at all , most seem to use a bit on extended highway runs .
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .

shearboy2004 screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 10:56 AM
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #14700
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Mate if the oil level didn't drop too far and you have no new top end noises it will be good to go .

About the only thing that kills these engines is letting oil level get to low , starves the top end and will ruin cam bearings and lifters . Always check the oil level at the end of your days riding as they have a habit of wet sumping over night and it's impossible to get an accurate reading when they are cold , you can start them in the morning or before a ride and run it for 10 mins and check but as many will say here the most accurate reading you will get is at the end of the day .Once you get to know the bike you will know if it uses any oil at all , most seem to use a bit on extended highway runs .
Good deal. Like I said, I didn't notice a change in engine sound, but its a new bike to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed and grab a bolt and oil after work. Threadlock is also a good call.

Thanks again. Give a holler if you're ever riding in the Boulder area.