ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #301
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
And as one of the ladies - last year was my first full year on a dirt bike! I did it, albeit not always gracefully... But if I did it ANYBODY can do it.
You did great. As I recall the big issue is that it was quite warm and you were wrestling that pig is some pretty deep sand and got a bit overheated.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #302
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Greg. I wish Hellsickle would chime in on this. He has the GPS coordinates for that "Impossible Hill" route that bypasses the Bobby's Hole hill in the pic. Like you, I was not aware of any "go-around" of the BH hill. I think all but one of us walked our bikes down Impossible for the most part, but it did get us around BH hill. At least that's the way I remember it from last May.
Sorry guys, I've let work get in the way of ADV. I'll try not to let it happen again.

While registered, I'm still about 50% on this ride. I'm still trying to gage Paula's interest & availability for spending a week in Utah. At the same time, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go under the knife & get at least one of my hands fixed (CTS). I talk with the hand cutter this Thursday.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #303
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
You did great. As I recall the big issue is that it was quite warm and you were wrestling that pig is some pretty deep sand and got a bit overheated.
Thanks, Jeff...the women got all the attention. Me and poor Howell were just two old men trying to survive...knees popping out of socket, wheelieing out of control on Elephant Hill, left for dead on the side of the trail without water. I tell ya...it was worse than the Bataan Death March.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #304
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Thanks, Jeff...the women got all the attention. Me and poor Howell were just two old men trying to survive...knees popping out of socket, wheelieing out of control on Elephant Hill, left for dead on the side of the trail without water. I tell ya...it was worse than the Bataan Death March.
You are the reason I always have to wear ear plugs on a ride.

You got your knee back into place on your own, right? I just wish you could have been a little quicker about it.

It's quite a detour using the Impossible Hill loop. I'm guessing it would add at least 10 miles and ~1 hour to the ride. Probably not a deal if you are camping in Ruin Park. For those of us pressing on to Blanding, we'll probably have to pass. OTOH, Chub Valley is spectacular. Stop at the shady choda for a nice break.

There is a nice overlook where you can get a peak at the Colorado River.

Going up Impossible Hill sux.

Please remember and respect the speed limits in the Park.

(Quietly waiting to see how many people google "choda" now)

HellSickle screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 11:23 AM
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #305
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
At the same time, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go under the knife & get at least one of my hands fixed (CTS). I talk with the hand cutter this Thursday.
Hope it's not too bad, that stuff can sideline ya all summer. Good luck with it Jeff.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #306
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Cool pictures, I have never seen impossible hill, but I can tell you just based on the pictures it would without question be harder going down it than up bobby's hole

For the camping group that would be a cool trip to the Colorado River Overlook after we unload the camping stuff. Jeff, I think you said there are some ruins on that loop? Can you see them from the road, if so how do they compare to ruin park?

After looking at a few maps I am pretty sure I know the loop everyone is talking about from Impossible Hill into ruin park, but just so we are clear it is the road spur to the right after you go down impossible hill (not the left down the valley) right?

Hope the hand is ok Jeff.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #307
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Cool pictures, I have never seen impossible hill, but I can tell you just based on the pictures it would without question be harder going down it than up bobby's hole

For the camping group that would be a cool trip to the Colorado River Overlook after we unload the camping stuff. Jeff, I think you said there are some ruins on that loop? Can you see them from the road, if so how do they compare to ruin park?

After looking at a few maps I am pretty sure I know the loop everyone is talking about from Impossible Hill into ruin park, but just so we are clear it is the road spur to the right after you go down impossible hill (not the left down the valley) right?

Hope the hand is ok Jeff.
Yes, there are many more ruins out that way, but they aren't well documented. Grizgirl saw some towers that I missed. If you get to Ruin Park early, it would be cool to have a few hours to explore all of the roads to the South. Make it a leisurely ride so you have time to look around.

HellSickle screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:32 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #308
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Jeff, hope you are all healed and Paula decides to come to the Swell camp.

I'm satisfied I'll make it up BH hill somehow even with all my camping gear loaded on my pig. I figure the extra torque of the 650 will make up for the weight and lack of ground clearance. (yeah right, I sound like a salesman).

Getting excited for this trip! I'll have a new D606 on the rear, not a lot of choices for a 17" rear but that should save me from being stuck in Bobby's Hole forever..

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #309
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Thanks for the link thats a pretty good price
beware of that front, I bought one, rode about five miles on it and promptly put the worn out desert IT back on, And then told all my friends to never buy a tire with sedona written on it. It was the worst front I'd ever tried...by far.
IMO, of course.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #310
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
beware of that front, I bought one, rode about five miles on it and promptly put the worn out desert IT back on, And then told all my friends to never buy a tire with sedona written on it. It was the worst front I'd ever tried...by far.
IMO, of course.
I had the same experiance with the MotoZ Desert Tractionators.
The rear I love for the desert type traction and bite, not so good in mud.
The front I took off after 1 ride. Scary siding and almost zero bite.
YMMV of course!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #311
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

I'm satisfied I'll make it up BH hill somehow even with all my camping gear loaded on my pig. I figure the extra torque of the 650 will make up for the weight and lack of ground clearance. (yeah right, I sound like a salesman).
Riiiigggghhhhtttt..... The Theory of Blinding Momentum.

Personally, I think the hairiest part will be getting up Elephant Hill.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #312
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Riiiigggghhhhtttt..... The Theory of Blinding Momentum.

Personally, I think the hairiest part will be getting up Elephant Hill.
I tend to agree with you. After seeing pics of that girl riding those two XT's up BH, I kinda think that first big step-up at EH may be worse. That's the spot where Howell did the rodeo cowboy stunt without ever really crashing.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #313
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
I tend to agree with you. After seeing pics of that girl riding those two XT's up BH, I kinda think that first big step-up at EH may be worse. That's the spot where Howell did the rodeo cowboy stunt without ever really crashing.
Come on you guys we just got all the nerves settled about BH and now its Elephant Hill. Whats next, the sand is deep and the mud is thick Just kidding Its going to be a great trip.

Ben

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #314
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Come on you guys we just got all the nerves settled about BH and now its Elephant Hill. Whats next, the sand is deep and the mud is thick Just kidding Its going to be a great trip.

Ben

Oh, nobody even mentioned the quicksand in Canyonlands....

Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #315
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Oh, nobody even mentioned the quicksand in Canyonlands....

We're keeping quiet about the off-camber sidehill cliffline singletrack that runs 2000' above the Colorado rapids, after all this is the "Canyonlands Adventure Ride"
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote