Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #33061
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
A new piston, ring set, wrist pin and circlips, base gasket, head gasket, valve cover gasket, and new bolts for the head and cam cover ran about $160. Best price I've seen on the Athena is $750. Even if I end up needing a new cylinder (crossing my fingers that I won't) its another $350 or so for the factory piece. More than likely I'd try to return or resell the piston set and send my cylinder to Thumper Racing, and send them the head too to clean it up as well.

I ordered:
New piston, rings, gaskets, pin, clips, and bolts, plus a timing chain just in case (it was only $18)
New clutch and throttle cables
New thermostat (motor's coming apart, why not)
New factory tool kit (I love the crappy little thing, it actually works well trailside in my experience with a few small supplements)
A couple drain plugs and gaskets
A couple oil filters
R kickstand and spring for the eventual set of dirt wheels
Oil seal and o-ring for front sprocket (pretty sure mine's leaking)
some misc blind (GYTR timing plug covers and 1-1/8" handlebar mounts)
and a whole host of misc bolts and hardware that I know are either corroded, somewhat rounded, or been used a lot and should be replaced.

But first I have to get the $(&#ing swingarm off. Here's a hint kids... TAKE THE DAMN SWINGARM OFF AT LEAST EVERY 6 MONTHS! I let mine ride for close to a year and a half, and its frozen solid. I fortunately found a used swingarm on ebay complete with a new pivot bolt and bearings for less than the price of a new bearing set from Yamaha, so if worst comes to fun I'll end up cutting the bastard out.

That sucks! Does that mean that MY motor should only last around 43,000 miles as well?
amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #33062
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtz.zero View Post
That sucks! Does that mean that MY motor should only last around 43,000 miles as well?
Entirely depends on a) luck, b) how you ride c) conditions you ride in and d) how well you keep your motorcycle serviced.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #33063
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I ran Cheng Shin Barracudas on my KLX250 for close to a year and loved them on the street.

And they came in 21/18 sizes that fit perfectly.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #33064
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
I ran Cheng Shin Barracudas on my KLX250 for close to a year and loved them on the street.

And they came in 21/18 sizes that fit perfectly.
Did you take notes on fuel economy??? Would be interesting to know the difference.

I changed the stock Deathwings to K270's but changed gearing to 14x49 so it was hard to conclude about the fuel economy.
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #33065
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,199
Avon distanzias. Just don't get the 110 rear, a little skinny looking.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #33066
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,334
I've had good success with Shinko 705son my KLR for street duty. I'm sure they'd be great on the WR.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #33067
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Today I broke down and bought a new wheelset to mount street tires on the WRR.. I'm not interested in changing the brake caliper mounts as in the "X" front wheel conversion. Way too much work. So.....I simply bought another set of R wheels and I'll spoon a set of street rubber on them to de-complicate the swap procedures.

Can anyone recommend a set of tires (21 in front)that are mostly street oriented? I had a set of Kenda 761's on my previous KLR, but they were low quality, not all that sticky, and the front cupped badly. I firmly believe there are better tires out there. Anyone cross this bridge before?

Thanx!
These are rated 80/20 street/dirt. I'm using them to drive up to Alaska this summer, before changing to a more off road DOT set

Shinko 705's
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #33068
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Today I broke down and bought a new wheelset to mount street tires on the WRR.. I'm not interested in changing the brake caliper mounts as in the "X" front wheel conversion. Way too much work. So.....I simply bought another set of R wheels and I'll spoon a set of street rubber on them to de-complicate the swap procedures.

Can anyone recommend a set of tires (21 in front)that are mostly street oriented? I had a set of Kenda 761's on my previous KLR, but they were low quality, not all that sticky, and the front cupped badly. I firmly believe there are better tires out there. Anyone cross this bridge before?

Thanx!
Not sure if by "street rubber" you mean dual sport tires, or strictly road tires.

The OEM Trailwings are decent pavement and gravel road tires, long lasting, and I bet you can find a set of take-offs with almost no mileage, for very cheap.

If you don't like that idea, IRC-GP1 are good tires (at least on my DR650), and Shinko 705s are popular and look good.

If more road-oriented, this IRC GS-11 looks interesting:

jon_l screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:57 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #33069
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,384
+1

A great tire for doing pavement and light dirt duty. Excellent tire in the rain, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
These are rated 80/20 street/dirt. I'm using them to drive up to Alaska this summer, before changing to a more off road DOT set

Shinko 705's

Sent from my Rotary Dial Phone using TapaTalk.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #33070
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
My fuel economy stayed about the same, it certainly rode smoother though. They are fairly cheap too but not at all dirt friendly.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #33071
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thanks for the replies everyone. Exactly what I was looking for.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #33072
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
+1

A great tire for doing pavement and light dirt duty. Excellent tire in the rain, too.

Sent from my Rotary Dial Phone using TapaTalk.
+2

I use these on my KLR for street and easy dirt and they work great. I also have one on the front of my Super Tenere and 7.5K miles it still looks great.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #33073
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,771
Someone recommended to me and I am going to try this year....Kenda 270's. They are cheap, so worth a try.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #33074
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 237
+1

i have 2 set's of 21/18's also as i wanted the same thing, easy swap & i can do all i need on the street rubbers then a quick swap out to go up north in the dirt on non-dot, soft compound dunlops for max traction off-road. i personally don't want a compromise tire in either situation which is exactly what dot knob's are by design. i want street tires on the street & dirt tires in the dirt, i am either commuting to work during the week or hitting the trails on the weekend so my riding is segmented perfectly for this. yes it's a bit pricey but i have been running this setup for 2 years now & i couldn't be happier and i am sure you will be too.

Quote:

Thanx!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #33075
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Someone recommended to me and I am going to try this year....Kenda 270's. They are cheap, so worth a try.
Kind of squirmy in the corners.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote