Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #46
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
?
my 35hp DR650 will cruise at 75 all day long with power to 90.
are 1/2 of the spark plugs pulled on the bike?
I rode my buddies 800xc and it got to 100 real fast and had alot more from there.
It's just a bunch of BS, that's all. Even the F650GS single cruises at 70 to 75mph all day. No problem at all for the twin or the Tiger 800.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's just a bunch of BS, that's all. Even the F650GS single cruises at 70 to 75mph all day. No problem at all for the twin or the Tiger 800.

I agree. It's all BS. I commuted up and down I-75 on my first dualsport, which was a DRZ400s. I put 13k miles on that bike in the first year I had it and never once had a problem running interstate speeds. Granted it wasn't as planted on the interstate as bigger bikes, but it had no problem maintaining interstate speeds at all.

If Dirty Bike's wife is averaging 830+ miles over a 12 day period, it doesn't sound like she had any problems running interstate speeds either.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #48
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
If you're wanting to go cross country, the 800XC is a little lacking on road for highway speeds. On the smaller 800, expect to run out of throttle now and then on the interstates.
That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read on Advrider. Have you ever looked at ride reports?
For the record, an 800XC will go 125mph bone stock. Does that make you feel stupid? It should.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #49
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Color me surprised then. Not what my friend with one tells me, (the XC). And the wife rides an '11 F650GS twin, (798cc) and it is wrung out at 75-80 and though it will go faster in ideal conditions, wind or mountains and she's downshifting. Granted it's a parallel twin and not the triple, but the smaller displacement bike is working a lot harder to maintain what are normal speeds, and sometimes simply can't.
I really don't think your friend has a clue here.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #50
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 86
I've got a Tiger 800 XC. Have friends with the GS1200 and GS800. I test rode all of 'em before I purchased and have ridden the BMW's quite a bit. They're all great bikes. But, here's my take. Also, my background was in trials in and motocross before I bought the tiger.

First none of these bikes are good off road bikes. They are simply too big. But, you can take some single track and get down it with any of them.

The GS800 is the best dirt bike of the three. Feels the most like an enduro bike. The seat is harsh for long road tours.

The GS1200 is a great motor, very torquey (is that a word? ). Probably the best road bike of the three. Definitely the most expensive and heaviest.

The Tiger 800 XC is in the middle, not as good off road as the gs800 but not bad, almost as good as the gs1200 on the road. The motor is great for the road. The seat is great for the road, at least for my butt. Doesn't have the same low end the 800 GS has, but adequate. Definitely more high end for the highway. I thought the Tiger was the most versatile of the group. My dealer is why I purchased a Triumph. He's a trials guy I rode with for several years and really trust.

Good luck. Whichever one you get, it'll do the job of adventure touring and some relatively light off road.

findlj screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 12:32 PM
findlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #51
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read on Advrider. Have you ever looked at ride reports?
For the record, an 800XC will go 125mph bone stock. Does that make you feel stupid? It should.
Don't get out much, huh Rob? It's ok, I know lots of day ride guys like you.

The XC does sound like it's got more pep than the little GS that I have more experience with, No harm, no foul there. However, if you're going to be touring and camping off the bike, you may be doing things like adding a taller windscreen, larger panniers, packing it up with gear, etc. These things do impact the bike.

Some of you guys talk like you've never encountered real wind and weather conditions or ridden high elevations fully loaded up, spent all day riding in wind and heavy rain or really spent all day on the road, day after day. Bragging about what a bike will do bone stock or how fast it will go doesn't mean much compared to loading it up for a trip and actually riding in sand storms on I-70 near Green River or spending all day riding across the plains in heavy winds, never mind crossing the Rockies fully loaded.

I offered my opinion, several other countered with their opinions and some really good direct experience with the XC, hopefully everybody learned a few things and the OP made his decision. Hopefully the OP will or has actually ridden the bike and others he's considering before buying, but regardless, we've beaten this to death and then some at this point.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #52
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:

The XC does sound like it's got more pep than the little GS that I have more experience with, No harm, no foul there. However, if you're going to be touring and camping off the bike, you may be doing things like adding a taller windscreen, larger panniers, packing it up with gear, etc. These things do impact the bike.

Some of you guys talk like you've never encountered real wind and weather conditions or ridden high elevations fully loaded up, spent all day riding in wind and heavy rain or really spent all day on the road, day after day. Bragging about what a bike will do bone stock or how fast it will go doesn't mean much compared to loading it up for a trip and actually riding in sand storms on I-70 near Green River or spending all day riding across the plains in heavy winds, never mind crossing the Rockies fully loaded.

I offered my opinion, several other countered with their opinions and some really good direct experience with the XC, hopefully everybody learned a few things and the OP made his decision. Hopefully the OP will or has actually ridden the bike and others he's considering before buying, but regardless, we've beaten this to death and then some at this point.
You should really consider just NOT posting...at all...just think about it. You obviously don't know anything about these bikes, so why even try to espouse that you do? So you've got some miles done, good for you. Doesn't mean you know anything about the bikes being discussed.

I can't imagine anyone that has owned or ridden a XC that would say it's lacking in power on road. That is precisely where it shines. To use your F650 as a yardstick is just silly.

I call it the peanut gallery.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #53
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:

Just stop... seriously. You're making a total ass of yourself. Before posting you should consider reading up a bit on what you're about to post. Rob's definitely not the sort of rider who doesn't get out much.

And furthermore I'll point out again that some of us HAVE spent plenty of time on an XC loaded down for touring, in all sorts of different weather conditions. So we can speak knowledgeably about this subject and offer real-world experience. You haven't, so you can only speculate, using a comparison that's deeply flawed.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #54
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Some of you guys talk like you've never encountered real wind and weather conditions or ridden high elevations fully loaded up, spent all day riding in wind and heavy rain or really spent all day on the road, day after day.
We bow to your endless experience, oh όber guru of fast motorcycles! We are clueless and need enlightening by your all encompassing wisdom. You are the only rider who has ever experienced real weather at real speed - so tell us which bikes can't be ridden in such extremes and we might even thinking about you when doing so anyways ...

cug screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 09:49 AM
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #55
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 268
lol there is just no helping some people
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #56
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
It's ok guys. I called him out & he has a right to respond.
You got me Dirty Bike. The longest trip I've done on the XC is 5 days while camping. I was loaded down, but I only weigh 180lbs necked & I didn't take a passenger. I sure had fun for a bike that runs out of throttle on the interstate.
Damn thing wouldn't go 70 with full knobbies. No way.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #57
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:

Dude, quit while your ahead. If its not already too late. Rob "gets out" more than most. One thing about this place is it seams to be full of knowledgeable motorcycle guys and when you make assumptions, especially outrageous ones, you will get called out. I, too, own a XC and have been on trips loaded down through wind and rain. It tours flawlessly through those conditions. It's also better off road than the "other" bike. Quit using the key board. Your making an ass out of yourself.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the initial question comparing two bikes, can deteriorate into a pissing contest to determine who has the biggest dick (or who IS the biggest dick). Many inmates seemingly have passionate/loyal/strong opinions, some being more well informed than others.

I value these thread discussions and typically review profiles/RRs of posters and weight their comments accordingly.

Good to hear that the OP has made his decision. It was the same one I made a year ago (though I had many more bikes on my original list than just the 1200GS/A and the 800XC). My lurking through this forum assisted my decision.

Like the other 800XC owners who have posted so far, I have never found that the bike lacks power at interstate speeds. Nor does it have too much on fire roads. I have ridden the bike 2up, loaded with gear without feeling limited (btw, its suspension handles all of these conditions as well). But it is a different bike than a 1200GSA. Nor is the Tiger a Goldwing, a 250 MX bike or a super sport bike.

Like all dual sport/adv bikes, the Tiger is a compromise. As such, the type of riding, the size and experience of the rider are significant factors and may be more important than reading the spec sheets. There are many professional comparisons of the 800XC and 800GS and both are great bikes. But when I rode the GS, it felt like I was sitting on a 2x4 plank, not what I wanted for long distance travel (others may have a higher pain threshold or are prepared to have a custom seat etc...once again personal choice). 1200GSA has a very loyal following. Has been around a long time, has completed many RTW adventures, etc, but when I rode it, I found it too big and too heavy for what I wanted.

Congratulations to the OP on your 800XC. I am enjoying mine without any regrets. Now your next decision will be what farkles and tires...but I will not venture down that rabbit hole, it is well discussed on many other threads.
TigerXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #59
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:

It amazes me that you're still here talking out your ass.
"Day ride guys"?
The picture I shared on page 1 is loaded how Karen's bike crossed TX in 40-70 mph winds @ 80-90+mph, and Ft. Collins to CA...and Phoenix to Ft C, all averaging 500+ mi/day. The TX trip was almost 5,000 miles in 8 days. How much more do "real" adventure riders need?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #60
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
I ride 2-up, panniers and rack loaded with NO difference in power or suspension even on the highway. Wind is wind though, I even feel that in my truck. Fyi, I'm 5-10 185lbs, wife is 5-3 130lbs.

I would suggest though waiting for the new KTM 1190. If I had any patience whatsoever...I would've bought that. Oh well, my XC is still a dream bike that never ceases to amaze in any condition.