Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #73666
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
If you're just running regular old USA pump gas, how necessary is that little filter? Not that I'm too cheap to spend the five bucks or whatever for an inline filter, but I was thinking about just pulling that one out of the elbow to see how much of a difference it makes. My bike is a 2001, and I have a feeling that this was never touched by the previous owners.
Mine at 28,000 miles, no aux filter, Colorado gas.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #73667
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
If you're just running regular old USA pump gas, how necessary is that little filter? Not that I'm too cheap to spend the five bucks or whatever for an inline filter, but I was thinking about just pulling that one out of the elbow to see how much of a difference it makes. My bike is a 2001, and I have a feeling that this was never touched by the previous owners.
It only make s a difference if it gets clogged up. The biggest source of debris in the filter would be rust particles from the stock steel tank or plastic particles (from manufacturing) in an aftermarket tank. Of course you don't know the condition of the internal parts of the gas pumps where you fill up. I would not expect to get pure clean fuel at every podunk little gas station out where I like to ride.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #73668
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
There are no inexpensive side covers for the DR, damn things cost as much as a whole set of plastics for other bikes.
I wrote my name and phone # on the inside of both my side covers. Hope I don't lose one in a "sensitive" area.

But if I lose it at an event, the organizer knows how to get it to me, and if I lose it somewhere else, hopefully a good Samaritan calls me.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #73669
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Mine at 28,000 miles, no aux filter, Colorado gas.

Geesh, your fingers are dirtier, how many miles on them?

That wasn't what I found when I pulled mine at about 10,000 miles, it was a lot worse. Glad to have it gone.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #73670
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Geesh, your fingers are dirtier, how many miles on them?

That wasn't what I found when I pulled mine at about 10,000 miles, it was a lot worse. Glad to have it gone.
IMHO, 10,000 is too long to go between filter cleanings ... regardless of which filter you're using. Remember folks ... we've also got the internal filter screen on the Petcock stem. I am now pulling my petcock out about once a year and cleaning that filter and flushing tank. Seems to help the little filter stay cleaner. YMMV. No prob with in line filter as long as it's not impeding fuel flow and allowing use of most of the fuel remaining in the tank.

Here is my petcock after 20K miles without a clean:

There was more grit, rust and sand in the tank. The screen was a bit clogged. Tooth brush and Carb cleaner put it right. Paint is overspray from painting tank. (I am not a professional )

If you ride Mexico you may pick up stuff like this from time to time and your luck. I got gas several times from 55 gallon drums. Use a filter if you're concerned. (Rayon T shirt works well)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #73671
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
IMHO, 10,000 is too long to go between filter cleanings ...
Grifter, I know you weren't spanking me, but just making a general statement for everyone, but in my defense I would like to say, I bought my DR650 with 9800 miles on it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #73672
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
i don't think it matters the gas location or type. this is about being prepared for that 1 bad/dirty gas station that could clog your bike no matter where you are in the world.

if you stay on top of checking that inline filter it works just fine and flows plenty of gas to run the bike. the problem appears when people do not know it's there or ignore it if they do and it clogs up easily if dirt is coming your way.

i'd guess most DRs in use just rely on this one. where it rears it's ugly head is when you've got carb/running issues and you fail to take this filter into consideration. by knowing it's there and checking it regularly you're filtered.

if your filter is clean when you pull it, don't expect your bike to run any better nor worse.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #73673
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i don't think it matters the gas location or type. this is about being prepared for that 1 bad/dirty gas station that could clog your bike no matter where you are in the world.
And also.... when you're filling up in some station on the edge of some small town and the wind whips up a little cloud of dust from the fields next door, some of that crud is going to end up dropping into your tank through the open filler hole. I can see the grit clearly in my IMS 'clear' tank. It sits in the low spots of the forward lobes of the tank.

If you've ever tried to look through the hole in your pilot jet you know it wouldn't take much of a speck of dirt to clog it.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #73674
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
Quote:
Procycle sells brand new plastics, and I think they actually sell the side panels separately from the other plastics. You might be able to find them cheaper used, but for new kit, they're solid.
OMG!!!

Just checked Procycycle and 2 pieces of plastic, PLASTIC, are $190 for a pair of F'n sidecovers!

The search continues.......

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #73675
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
OMG!!!

Just checked Procycycle and 2 pieces of plastic, PLASTIC, are $190 for a pair of F'n sidecovers!

I saw that too, then went and looked it up at Rocky Mountain ATV. $60-ish each. BUT.. the heat shield is another $40 or so. Basically, ProCycle makes little or nothing on that stuff.

Next best bet will be Maier, in the off chance they have something. Otherwise, eBay.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #73676
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I saw that too, then went and looked it up at Rocky Mountain ATV. $60-ish each. BUT.. the heat shield is another $40 or so. Basically, ProCycle makes little or nothing on that stuff.

Next best bet will be Maier, in the off chance they have something. Otherwise, eBay.

Rob
Like I said, there are NO inexpensive DR side covers.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #73677
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
OMG!!!

I guess I was looking at those through the eyes of someone who had to replace plastics on a sport bike. When you've paid $450 for a single fairing panel, $190 for both sides starts looking cheap.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #73678
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Basically, ProCycle makes little or nothing on that stuff.
+1
Yup. To make matters worse, Suzuki just hit us with another price increase. It's the 3rd or 4th one in the last 12 months.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #73679
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,769
Quote:
I guess I was looking at those through the eyes of someone who had to replace plastics on a sport bike. When you've paid $450 for a single fairing panel, $190 for both sides starts looking cheap.
Well, looking at it from a more apples to apples comparison, as in 2 dual sport bikes, I can get a whole Acerbis body set for my KTM 450 EXC for $99. Thats not only two side covers, but two shrouds and 2 fenders as well.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #73680
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I can get a whole Acerbis body set for my KTM 450 EXC for $99. Thats not only two side covers, but two shrouds and 2 fenders as well.
I could have went my whole life without knowing there were cheaper parts on a KTM...

Thanks for destroying the dream!
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote