User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Mcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Tool box

Just mounted new from http://advgear.net/ box that fits with my Zega case frame on my GS. Very good craftsmanship and quality materials. Thought I'd share with you...

Mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
twwhitey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Sweet man - I've got one on order myself and it's great to see it works well with the TT Zega racks. I can breathe a sigh of relief that's it's not going to take a weekend of finagling to get it mounted!

Just noticed you still have the mud guard on - you leaving it there? I recall he advised it's removal as the box can contact at full suspension compression
twwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Just installed mine as well! Love it!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Mcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The mud guard looks like it will clear, but should remove it anyway. Mud will probably take it off soon enough.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Looks great. I bought one for my R1200GSA. The lid doesn't fit as nicely as your appears to. From about half way over on the top the lid is to big and overlaps making the fit and finish not so good. I've also been considering the best way to seal the holes to make it somewhat water tight. I can see daylight in a number of places, not good for the tools...
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Advdave
Toolbox Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Seniorasi...

Email sent. Will make it right. Box is assembled with clear sealer in the seams so it should be tight, if there are seams that the sealer doesn't fill, it ain't right and I'll replace it.

dave@advgear.net
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Here's mine.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
nice setup!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
Looks great. I bought one for my R1200GSA. The lid doesn't fit as nicely as your appears to. From about half way over on the top the lid is to big and overlaps making the fit and finish not so good. I've also been considering the best way to seal the holes to make it somewhat water tight. I can see daylight in a number of places, not good for the tools...
Yeah, I got rid of mine after it leaked from the first bike wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
seniorasi
Banned

Leaks

I may try some silicone on mine.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
seniorasi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advdave View Post
Seniorasi...

Email sent. Will make it right. Box is assembled with clear sealer in the seams so it should be tight, if there are seams that the sealer doesn't fill, it ain't right and I'll replace it.

dave@advgear.net
Replacing the box is honorable but I find myself wondering why it was sent out that way. I can fit the door using a die grinder and hand file. I can buy a tube of silicone to fill the voids missed during assembly. None of this is a "big deal" but I expected a bit more quality for $140.00. Hope no one feels I'm picking fly shit out of pepper... A tig welded box would be really sweet though 'eh?

seniorasi screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 01:39 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
seniorasi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rdi16 View Post
Here's mine.

Judging from the photo your door has the same problem as mine. From about the center toward the left the top edge of the door is proud of the door stop. I believe air flow with precipitation will cause it to leak. Hope I'm not stirring people up with no good reason but I'm fitting my door prior to installation and maybe adding an adhesive weather strip for a wind/rain proof seal.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,298
Regardless the sealing that can be done, I would put my tool roll into a dry bag with some desiccant packs and make sure the tools were put in a bit oily to keep em from rusting, etc. No reason to expect a totally waterproof solution at this price point in my opinion. Tools placed in toolboxes in my garage have been known to rust with humidity. I still like the idea of this box to hold the tools instead of at the bottom of my adventure case, as then I can just leave them with the bike all the time and not have to drag them around when I unpack at camp or hotel.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Regardless the sealing that can be done, I would put my tool roll into a dry bag with some desiccant packs and make sure the tools were put in a bit oily to keep em from rusting, etc. No reason to expect a totally waterproof solution at this price point in my opinion. Tools placed in toolboxes in my garage have been known to rust with humidity. I still like the idea of this box to hold the tools instead of at the bottom of my adventure case, as then I can just leave them with the bike all the time and not have to drag them around when I unpack at camp or hotel.
X2

Waterproofness, although desirable, would be hard to achieve with this door design. Drybag or plastic bag is a simple way to keep tools from drawning. Draining holes are a good idea, too. Not sure if they are present.

I like to carry basic tools at all times, specially to fix flat tires. I usually strap a backpack to the back of the bike, but a tool box like that is the ideal thing. Definitely in my wish list.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Mcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I saw daylight through mine also, but on further inspection it is fully protected with a seal in the folded seams. I know what you mean with the door, mine fit perfectly, maybe a small gasket would be in order. Guess I will find out soon. The price is a good value considering the materials and time it takes to assemble one, plus free shipping!!