Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #61
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I ride 2-up, panniers and rack loaded with NO difference in power or suspension even on the highway. Wind is wind though, I even feel that in my truck. Fyi, I'm 5-10 185lbs, wife is 5-3 130lbs.

I would suggest though waiting for the new KTM 1190. If I had any patience whatsoever...I would've bought that. Oh well, my XC is still a dream bike that never ceases to amaze in any condition.

...and then we have the other side of the coin. If you can't tell the difference it's because you're not paying attention. NOT because there isn't one
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #62
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
lol there is just no helping some people
Indeed.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #63
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Intersting thread.

I too have been pondering this exact choice. A couple of years back I was going to buy a thumper as a "dual sport" adjunct to my street ride, but the reality is that distances from home I would be riding to get there made a thumper (for me) unattractive.

I like the BMW bikes generally, and the GSA in particular, but the thought of riding something that large and heavy over routes like the BDRs is unappealing. I am not an "expert" on dirt bikes, nor have I spent a lifetime riding off road.

I rode the Tiger 800 XC twice, and loved it. It seems a good compromise for being on the pavement while getting there and getting off the pavement once you have arrived.

I also have a Triumph dealer 3 miles from my house. I visited them just yesterday.

I like the way Triumph has designed their recent introductions. It's clear they are thinking through their product line. That's not a slight on BMW (or other manufacturers), just that I like the direction Triumph seems to be going.

I'm going to talk to them about a 2-bike sale: The Trophy for street (I do some cross country riding), and the 800 XC for BDR and Alaska type trips.
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #64
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
Intersting thread.

I too have been pondering this exact choice. A couple of years back I was going to buy a thumper as a "dual sport" adjunct to my street ride, but the reality is that distances from home I would be riding to get there made a thumper (for me) unattractive.

I like the BMW bikes generally, and the GSA in particular, but the thought of riding something that large and heavy over routes like the BDRs is unappealing. I am not an "expert" on dirt bikes, nor have I spent a lifetime riding off road.

I rode the Tiger 800 XC twice, and loved it. It seems a good compromise for being on the pavement while getting there and getting off the pavement once you have arrived.

I also have a Triumph dealer 3 miles from my house. I visited them just yesterday.

I like the way Triumph has designed their recent introductions. It's clear they are thinking through their product line. That's not a slight on BMW (or other manufacturers), just that I like the direction Triumph seems to be going.

I'm going to talk to them about a 2-bike sale: The Trophy for street (I do some cross country riding), and the 800 XC for BDR and Alaska type trips.
That is an interesting question. I have one bike only, the Tiger 800XC. I believe that it is the best compromise for on road and off road riding. I have blasted along for 700 miles 2 up with gear on slabs and also down fire roads. I run K60 tires and the bike (and I) are very happy in both those conditions....however,

If I were to have two bikes in my garage, would I choose a 800XC and a touring bike?? (or how would I spend $30,000 to feed my motorcycling addiction)...I notice that you currently ride a R1200RT. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion and comparison of the 1200RT with the Trophy (and your motivation to go to a Trophy vs stay with 1200RT). While the 800XC is completely capable of all day slab riding it is not a goldwing etc.

Dare I say it on this thread, but here it goes, if I were to have two bikes a tourer (1200RT, Trophy, etc) I MAY be inclined to look at something like a KTM 690R as a dual sport BDR worthy adventure bike. A dual sport bike that is more dirt oriented, lighter, etc than the 800XC...or even a WR250R...just a thought. I know that there are many big adventure bike riders 800XC, 800GS, KTM990, 1200GS/A, who ride the BDR routes with their 500 pound bikes however, a 300 pound bike may just be easier...
TigerXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #65
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
>snip
....a 300 pound bike may just be easier...
It is. Vastly so. That's why I have a WR250F (not a 'R'), a TE630, and the Tiger XC.
Singletrack, dualsport, and touring/adventuring.

I wouldn't think of riding my XC were the yammer goes. Of the three, the husky is the most versatile, but it's a chore to ride for more than a hundred miles on the hiway. Conversely, the Tiger just eats miles big-time, but 475lbs makes for a pretty crappy dirtbike. And if you put knobbies on it to go in dirt it's not a stellar road bike any longer.

The big dualsports that are decent offroad don't make very good road bikes. We trailer them long distance, then ride and camp off them. The husky eats offroad as well as the tiger does on. While the KTM 690 is a great bike, they are plagued with failures, and they're still crappy on road.

The only thing left for me is a canyon carver...like a Ducati 848 or something like it.

The 1200GS? It's a pig. And if you ride them like a dirtbike they break. When you ask Jimmy Lewis how he does it he'll tell you he doesn't. You have to backoff and go easy on them.

If you want a giant dirtbike look to 990ADV, or SE. The XC doesn't hold a candle to either one offroad.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #66
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
It is. Vastly so. That's why I have a WR250F (not a 'R'), a TE630, and the Tiger XC.
Singletrack, dualsport, and touring/adventuring.

I wouldn't think of riding my XC were the yammer goes. Of the three, the husky is the most versatile, but it's a chore to ride for more than a hundred miles on the hiway. Conversely, the Tiger just eats miles big-time, but 475lbs makes for a pretty crappy dirtbike. And if you put knobbies on it to go in dirt it's not a stellar road bike any longer.

The big dualsports that are decent offroad don't make very good road bikes. We trailer them long distance, then ride and camp off them. The husky eats offroad as well as the tiger does on. While the KTM 690 is a great bike, they are plagued with failures, and they're still crappy on road.

The only thing left for me is a canyon carver...like a Ducati 848 or something like it.

The 1200GS? It's a pig. And if you ride them like a dirtbike they break. When you ask Jimmy Lewis how he does it he'll tell you he doesn't. You have to backoff and go easy on them.

If you want a giant dirtbike look to 990ADV, or SE. The XC doesn't hold a candle to either one offroad.
Great post.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #67
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
My '46 Knucklehead 74 had slightly more displacement than my '07 R1200GS, but only produced about half the torque.
Dear JustKip, you and Dirtysouth could use some reading comprehension training. Re-read my post please. Combustion volume give us torque which when multiplied by RPM gives us horsepower. A 600 thumper and a sport bike don't spin at the same rpm's as the thumper would last about 5the minutes as piston speed would be somewhere in the stratosphere. May be I ass-umed too much from both of you.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #68
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Friend came out with his 800xc. Nice bike.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #69
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Dear JustKip, you and Dirtysouth could use some reading comprehension training. Re-read my post please. Combustion volume give us torque which when multiplied by RPM gives us horsepower. A 600 thumper and a sport bike don't spin at the same rpm's as the thumper would last about 5the minutes as piston speed would be somewhere in the stratosphere. May be I ass-umed too much from both of you.
and perhaps you assumed too much about yourself, and leave me wondering if you've ever heard of compression ratio, and it's effect on torque output?

Cam profiles, timing overlap, recipricating mass, combustion chamber size and shape, exhaust back pressure, and air intake flow dynamics all affect torque output.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #70
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post

We're not talking about combustion, torque, or RPM. We're talking about engine cc's. I know that there is a difference between single cylinder, versus twins, versus triples, versus inline fours. The point I was making was just because two bikes have the same engine size in theory, doesn't mean that they produce equal amount of power.

So maybe you should start at the beginning of the thread and work yourself down, in order to see why I made my original statement. Or maybe you just want to prove how big of a self pretentious prick you are by trying to call someone out on the internal workings of an engine. Either way, I stand by my original statement. The same numbers on the side of an engine case doesn't mean that they produce the same amount of power equally.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #71
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
That is an interesting question. I have one bike only, the Tiger 800XC. I believe that it is the best compromise for on road and off road riding. I have blasted along for 700 miles 2 up with gear on slabs and also down fire roads. I run K60 tires and the bike (and I) are very happy in both those conditions....however,

If I were to have two bikes in my garage, would I choose a 800XC and a touring bike?? (or how would I spend $30,000 to feed my motorcycling addiction)...I notice that you currently ride a R1200RT. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion and comparison of the 1200RT with the Trophy (and your motivation to go to a Trophy vs stay with 1200RT). While the 800XC is completely capable of all day slab riding it is not a goldwing etc.

Dare I say it on this thread, but here it goes, if I were to have two bikes a tourer (1200RT, Trophy, etc) I MAY be inclined to look at something like a KTM 690R as a dual sport BDR worthy adventure bike. A dual sport bike that is more dirt oriented, lighter, etc than the 800XC...or even a WR250R...just a thought. I know that there are many big adventure bike riders 800XC, 800GS, KTM990, 1200GS/A, who ride the BDR routes with their 500 pound bikes however, a 300 pound bike may just be easier...
I have an appointment to ride the new Trophy SE on Mar 4th. I love the RT - I have ridden it across the USA (coast to coast) twice, and I would not mind keeping it. The Tropy looks like it is an improvement over the RT in smoothness (above 75MPH the 2-cylinder vibration comes through) and the size would make it a slightly better cross-country machine. Service intervals are longer with the Trophy, and the Triumph dealer is 3 miles form my house vs. 30 miles for the BMW. At the risk of drifting too far off topic, I rode the K1600 twice as well, and it was hard to not purchase one (especially with my wife saying "if you really like it, buy it").

As much as I love road-touring, I would like to ride into some areas with unimproved roads as well. I'm not looking to go where only a 450 and under would venture (I did that when I was much younger, riding some small dirt bikes), so I'm thinking the Tiger might be a good fit. Those who own the Tiger have reported being quite happy with them.

I have looked at KTM, but am concerned about reliability.

I do realize that I will never want a bigger bike when the pavement ends.
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #72
Kali Trailrider OP
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 458
Talking I got my Tiger

The Triumph tiger was the clear choice for me.
The bike just felt right from the first time I sat on it.
It is a pure pleasure to ride.

Here she is as I left the dealer.

Who was great I might add Doug Douglas motorcycles out of San Bernadino, CA

My buddy Chris came down with his and we went on a 200 mile ride today and even covered a little two track.

Chris ( Browneye) is right about one thing the bike has a purpose and does what it does very well.
But it is not a dirtbike. You need to have the right bike for the job.
Thankfully I have this for most everything dirt.

Thanks to ALL who posted up here. But the guy who posted that Icon video is "THE MAN" is my book.

That video kicks ass!! I have probablly watched it 30 times now. LOL

Here is a parting shot with the new Leo Vince pipe! Other farkles to follow.

Kali Trailrider screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:19 PM
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #73
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Good looking bike, congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #74
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Wise choice Kali.!!

Beautiful bike, you will LOVE IT!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #75
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Congrats on the new bike!