Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
I don't know if you can on a Super10 but I would try to pry out those rubber pieces on your footpegs, it will give you a hell of a lot better boot traction especially when wet I would bet money that is the one of the first things the guys at RH will tell you.

Very ambitious ride on the way back home, cold plus snow sucks and cold plus snow and ice really sucks. Goodluck man.

Looking forward to your thoughts about the riding course
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,758
If you come through Durango, shoot me a PM. We are snowpacked a out a half mile of driveway but you could have some fun and we could help you pick it up. Looking like it will snow here this weekend so you may have to stay down lower in AZ and NM then back through TX to keep warmer. Weather that hits LA hits here 2 days later but also looks like UT and NV are in the bullseye.
Bob
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Day 9
Miles: Who cares..I am headed to Rawhyde!
Ventura, CA to Rawhyde Camp
The day started out like any other day in California. Keep in mind, I have only been to California for one day. This inevitably meant rain. Last night, in the midst of my dining experience at Tipps, I had the pleasure of meeting some locals. One couple, the gentleman rode the big GS. Surprising to me, but he never heard of Rawhyde, but he did know of Rocky at BMS. Another gent was a local artist. Character and conversation just flowed from him till the time he paid his bill. The third individual told me a sacred road, Route 33, that is heaven on earth for motorcycles. He was a pianist, which amazed me even more so that he was very passionate that I try this route so much that he wrote specific directions on a napkin.
This morning, I woke with very good intentions on trying out that road, as the maps looked…well…like heaven on earth. However, heaven apparently had another plan for me this AM. It has been nice to have a day off in the midst of my journey. Hearing the rain drops and the sound of wet car wheels passing by, I attempted to sleep as long as I could. After I had showered and packed up, I loaded the bike and headed to the infamous (which is more than famous, ya know) In-N-Out Burger. I must say, there was definitely something about this burger that did give it a different flavor than your typical “rd headed-golden-arch-king” burger.
Since I have a sweet addiction to pure caffeine, my next route was to find a good coffee shop and chill whilst catching up on work and the world. This time always seems to fly by, as before I knew it (and several espressos later) it was time to begin my long anticipated ride to the Rawhyde camp. Only a mere hour away, I cruised through several small towns and winded my way over Ojai Valley. That small road alone made me wanting more.
Reviewing my never trusty Garmin, I looked for the closest place to fill up with gas. As I pulled in, a Nevadinian (yes, I just made that up) pulled up and started chatting about the Keith Code race school and BMWs. He was attending the level one school this spring. Good luck!
As I was finishing fueling up, I see a GS pull up at another pump loaded with gear. Although I was jumping out of my skin, I played it cool and walked in to get a drink. I couldn’t pay fast enough. Keith, ironically (ok, maybe not) was on his way to the Rawhyde camp as well. Finally, someone to ride with…even for the short 14 mile hike up the hill.
About fifteen minutes later, we were pulling into a small driveway, which were led by a small sign that stated “Rawhyde Adventure Camp.” A kid on Christmas does not have as much excitement as I did at that exact moment…not even if he saw the red rider gun behind the desk…..
And so, it begins…..today, 3,600 miles of slab and some dirty…tomorrow I will concur the world!
JonnyCinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Hows it going buddy........ You must be having a great time.. we need more pictures and more RR to read...

Post away ! If you need anything on the road, give us a shout !
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #20
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCinco View Post
Day 9
Miles: Who cares..I am headed to Rawhyde!

And so, it begins…..today, 3,600 miles of slab and some dirty…tomorrow I will concur the world!

I just checked google maps and it shows me 154 miles from Rawhyde I actually hadn't heard of them before Shawn put out that he was going to the BMW launch in South Africa in RR's and now here is another mention. I will make time to attend classes as it looks really interesting and helpful.

Thanks for the Ride Report, looks like a kickass ride across the U.S. and back. Can't wait for the training camp impressions.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,656
Did he make it back? How was the class?

Damn, this is worse then waiting for the next season's shows on HBO
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Great RR.
Could you give an address or contact info for the BMS place in Ventura that did your seat.
I live close by and I'm looking to redo my seat.

Thankx
M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
5_19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Bump

BUMP

Would like to know if you survived Rawhyde?
5_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
EOD3MC
What will break next

Well, I'm headed out there for their "Next Step" class on March 22nd.....I'll look and see if he's still there
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
You got it!

Sweet!

This has all the makings of a really good Ride Report.

First. I really like how you have lovingly customized your bike.
Second. Heck, let's ride cross country in three or four days in January.
Third. Lots of good food pictures.
Fourth. The "performance" award in Texas.

Seems like you have what it takes.
Subscribed.

Good work.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 829
Well what happened. Did he just get tired of posting? Interested to see how his experience at Rawhyde went. His profile shows he is still active on the ADV site.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #27
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Rawhyde!

Day 10 and 11

Rawhyde Adventures Camp

Unfortunately, Rawhyde Adventures did not resemble the expectations had thought during my 3,600 miles across the country. It blew my expectations, dreams, and fantasies AWAY!

Being the lone Yamaha in the group, I felt needed pressure to perform (similar to my sex life…WHY GOD, WHY!?!?) Here the bikes are parked in the “paddock” area Saturday morning. Can you spot the Lone Yami?

The night was a good sleep in the bunk house with a bed electric bed warmer just in case you get cold.

My Bunk:

My home for the weekend:

As I said, the weekend was amazing. Maybe it was the other riders there, but I am willing to bet every RawHyde weekend is the same. There were 2/3 groups there: 1) us intro newbs, 2) the next step show-offs, and 3) the people I want to be, aka a group going to Africa this year. All in all, it was worth the time to just shoot the poop with the other riders about their experiences, where they have been, where they want to go, and life in general. Well, that and the food.

Saturday morning started out with a lecture from the man…the myth…the legend…Mr Hyde himself…on body positioning and the “deliverables” for the weekend. The information is presented in bit by bit facts that you then get to try out for yourself. Most rental bikes were already “prepped to sleep” with mirrors, turn signals, and windscreens off. I quickly relieved mine and we were off down the dirt driveway…riding one footed and sidesaddle at times! The lessons learned Saturday were confidence inspiring as we trained on dirt, gravel, grass, and mud; including uphill, downhill, and even sidehill (if that is a word…?) Through Saturday, I went from rigid, stick up the butt on dirt roads to gumbee (well, as best a 30 year old out of shape athlete can be) being able to ride under 1 mph without a stall!

Prior to moving onto Sunday, let’s just have a moment of silence for Andy Chang’s family jewels. They were lost in the gravel pit as we were practicing panick stops. That poor BMW Tank never wanted that close of a relationship with Andy…but it got’em.

The food at Rawhyde. Let’s just say, I have paid more for 3 night stays at a resort with supposed 5 star menus that did not even compare to what we ate (and drank) at Camp RawHyde. Here are photos to wet your whistle:

Wine Anyone?

Onto Sunday

To infinity and Beyond!

Sunday was a “put it together and let’s make it more difficult” starting out with some figure 8’s on a sloped, wet, grassy surface to going beach style up near the tower. I am not sure how, but somehow I am (semi) able to ride through sand without issue (well, not sugar sand). With the intro group split into two groups of about 8, we ran through drills from tight uphill and downhill switchbacks to different ways to attack a steep downhill section to very tight upty-ups.

A quick pic of my accidental but not really skid sstop..yea, I am master zen level rider now:

Cresting a muddy hill

All in All, the weekend was amazing.

My Rawhyde thoughts:

Coming into Rawhyde, I was very apprehensive. I have only ridden on dirt once with Cornerspin (good course by the way) and managed to highside a 100cc dirtbike and break my foot. I do have significant experience on the road/track and even cashed out for the Yamaha Champions Racing School. I would consider both these venues to be the gold standards of their specific intended educational purpose. However, Rawhyde trumps the YCRS in value and a bit in ambience. YCRS is a 2 day school which costs $2,300. This only includes 8 hours of instruction and track time. Rawhyde’s 2 day course includes lodging and meals, along with a group ambience that cannot be beat (everyone eats together in the “cafeteria”), that only costs $1,400. For both programs, you will get the best of the best training and, unless you have memory issues, you will go home satisfied. Nevertheless, I would (and plan on) participating in Rawhyde Adventures again….and again……and maybe again.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
EOD3MC
What will break next

Glad to hear you made it back....

Looks like an awesome time....Can't wait for my class on the 22nd.

Any suggestions as to things you thought you should have brought but didn't?
or things you brought that you were glad you did?

EOD3MC screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 05:52 AM
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Glad to hear you made it back....

Looks like an awesome time....Can't wait for my class on the 22nd.

Any suggestions as to things you thought you should have brought but didn't?
or things you brought that you were glad you did?
Are you renting? If so, you do not need much. They provide a very warm sleeping bag, pillow, cot, etc. The bikes are fully ready to go. Some advil would have nice and some icyhot/biofreeze as well.

If you are riding down, then you will not need your panniers (or take them off) and windscreen/turn signals. Being the Yami doesn't have the sweet frame sliders like the BMW (aka the headers), I was a bit worried about the TT fog light and my signals. However, no damage to the S10 from my inspection (3 drops).

A good water bottle and rehydration type drinks. They do have water there (and plenty of beer/wine/liquor), but no electrolyte supplements. You do get a big liter water bottle, but nothing fancy.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #30
EOD3MC
What will break next

Yep, renting, flying out next friday...
Advil was already on the list as well as a camelback

Thanks for the feedback....