Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
blacksheeplee OP
gonzo on two wheels

Oddometer: 5
I found a 2005 950 Adventure with 106,000, anything that I should beware on this year

So I found a 2005 Adventure 950 with super high miles 106,000 but have no experience with KTM's and was wondering if I should be aware of any known issues with this bike.. Whats the most miles that anyone has seen on these bikes?

thanks
blacksheeplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,727
your first bit of homework is to read the sticky "index" thread at the top of this forum.. and to answer your question more specifically, there are several known issues/weak points with the first generation 950's (although a few were addressed between 2004 and 2005 model year), but with that kind of mileage, the known issues are minor in comparison to what it may take to do a rebuild.. which is not a big project, unless your tight on money and/or skills necessary to tackle an engine rebuild. just an opinion
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
blacksheeplee OP
gonzo on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
your first bit of homework is to read the sticky "index" thread at the top of this forum.. and to answer your question more specifically, there are several known issues/weak points with the first generation 950's (although a few were addressed between 2004 and 2005 model year), but with that kind of mileage, the known issues are minor in comparison to what it may take to do a rebuild.. which is not a big project, unless your tight on money and/or skills necessary to tackle an engine rebuild. just an opinion

Thanks.. I live in Oregon and have lots of rainy days to work on bikes so rebuilding does not scare me but throwing tons of money at a bike with this many miles does scare me.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
The main issue is 106,000 miles. Unless it was near free, I'd avoid it.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
This thread should give you an idea of what it might take to get a high mile bike up to snuff.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633576
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
blacksheeplee OP
gonzo on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
This thread should give you an idea of what it might take to get a high mile bike up to snuff.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633576

Hmmmm, lots of work ahead if I buy this Adventure* no pun intended* . Just sold my Triumph Bonneville and down to only one motorcycle in the garage
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer: 189
Well clearly it's reliable

If cheap then I wouldn't be too put off but I would only buy a bike with this mileage with a view to stripping down and checking/changing worn parts. It may need a freshen up but if your well versed in those things - which I imagine you are having owned a Bon - then could be well worth it. If you after a bike you could ride right away for a few years without worrying about it then maybe you should look elsewhere.

joneswgareth screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 11:12 PM
joneswgareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,164
There's 2005, then there's 2005.5. There were several significant improvements introduced in the '05.5 model, but most/all were probably sorted on this bike.....by necessity..... to get beyond, say, 30K. 2005.5 marked the first "knee in the curve" for the 950ADV.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,488
Is this MY ADVs bike? His is a 2005.5. He has over 100k on it. Only mention it because he's in Gresham OR.

If it's not his bike, send him a PM and I'm sure he'll have advice for you.

With this many miles it depends on price as there has to be a ton of 05/06 bikes with <30k miles available on the used market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813023
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
mike.l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
It all depends on you, and whether you wanna work on a proper good motorcycle!
There's always the next thing to do on any bike you own,
whatever the millage.
mike.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
if it has been maintained, then it "should" be fine. If its the 106k mile bike that I think that you are looking at (black with orange seat), the sub frame is bent, which is pretty easy to bend back by chaining the whole bike down to the floor and pulling on the subframe to get it back into shape.

then there is everything else.... but if the price is right, say less than $1500, then its probably worth it provide the engine isn't completely spent.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
blacksheeplee OP
gonzo on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
if it has been maintained, then it "should" be fine. If its the 106k mile bike that I think that you are looking at (black with orange seat), the sub frame is bent, which is pretty easy to bend back by chaining the whole bike down to the floor and pulling on the subframe to get it back into shape.

then there is everything else.... but if the price is right, say less than $1500, then its probably worth it provide the engine isn't completely spent.

It's the black with orange seat bike. Subframe should be easy enough to fix and I could use a buddies frame machine to do some good even pulls. I guess it all depends on how cheap I can pick it up..I'm not looking for a bike to overland on but a trip to Baja to escape the rain would be nice
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
1500? really? here you cant even pick up a barely running well worn down XR for that kind of money!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
The one thing assumption about this bike that could be made is it was running when the damage happened and therefore it should run after a few things are taken care of, like the carbs getting cleaned and changing the oil/filters. My price pain threshold on this particular motorcycle would start at about $1200 and limit at $1500. Considering the unknown nature and condition of the bike things can get rather expensive quickly.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
blacksheeplee OP
gonzo on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The one thing assumption about this bike that could be made is it was running when the damage happened and therefore it should run after a few things are taken care of, like the carbs getting cleaned and changing the oil/filters. My price pain threshold on this particular motorcycle would start at about $1200 and limit at $1500. Considering the unknown nature and condition of the bike things can get rather expensive quickly.

Thanks Head2Wind.. I think that your totally correct on the price limit and just want a bike that I can cruise BLM, Forest Service Roads..