Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #53626
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Mendo,

I just read the cam timing article. I just wish that CW made the cam to drop in like a Mega Cycle cam. None of this degreeing crap. KISS...
You know I'm not sure why he didn't grind it to drop in. He does his others. My guess is that the cam timing or lobe centers vary too much from the stock cam and he wasn't able to get the lobe centers on with the cam's stock cam shaft sprocket holes. In any case, my friend who is going to help me says any really truly high performance cam needs to be degreed as a few degrees make a BIG difference. At least the lobe centers are fixed relative to each other! How's your motor coming?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #53627
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Thanks, sounds like yours is just like mine minus the exhaust.
I have a uni filter.
I never rode one of these bikes before mods as my bike had this done when i bought it.
It is not super sooty but just a little.over all i am happy with it just thought i could get more with the mod but turns out i wont cuz it has been done. It is what it is, it is no ktm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Notice the telltale rust on the countershaft. You were wise to correct the problem so soon, Samurai.

The PBI sprockets are manufactured in Oregon. Did you have any problems installing the PBI sprocket on your worn countershaft?

Spud
Mine went on with a slight tap for the first time. I then took it on and off a few times by hand easily.
Everyone should heed the warning or suffer later. Easy and fairly cheap. This should be one of the first things done/ looked at!
Again thanks spud for your investigations for better solutions.
My next venture. Will be the diodes for led blinkers.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #53628
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,034
http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/rvs/3464975126.html

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #53629
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,517
Good birthday today! My wife got me some Tusk grip heaters, a Fog City helmet visor insert, and a gift certificate to my favorite local moto shop!

I need to pick up some Pillow grips for it and get these heaters on! What's the trick to installing the heater on the throttle side? And what's the best place to tap into power for a relay?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #53630
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

That thing would be fun to cut doughnuts with until you burned through all the rubber.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #53631
dcparks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Thanks, Thumper.

I have seen the advice from Spud Rider, about the less expensive Primary Drive front sprocket (harder to install) and the more expensive PBI/Moose front sprocket (easier to install). Given that I need a new front sprocket, with more lateral surface area to take up as much of the remaining spline as possible, I decided to order both the PBI/Moose and the Primary Drive sprockets, in the XR flavor. And, I ordered a new retainer as well. It will all come down to how deeply I can get the CSS onto the splines, with or without the spacers. Stay tuned.

PD
Hi PD, who did you order from? All i can find is a renthal in Canada, so will likely order online from the states (shipping is 40 to 60 bucks!) Any suggestions, all?
dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #53632
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Blasphemy!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #53633
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Good birthday today! My wife got me some Tusk grip heaters, a Fog City helmet visor insert, and a gift certificate to my favorite local moto shop!

I need to pick up some Pillow grips for it and get these heaters on! What's the trick to installing the heater on the throttle side? And what's the best place to tap into power for a relay?
The real trick is not having the clutch side become a giant heat sink. On the throttle side you have to allow for play. I also cut the grip with a razor blade to route it so there would be a straighter shot. Make sure you have somebody chime in who knows what's best to put on the clutch side. Happy birthday. BRAAAAAPPP!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #53634
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
Hi PD, who did you order from? All i can find is a renthal in Canada, so will likely order online from the states (shipping is 40 to 60 bucks!) Any suggestions, all?
You can order the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprocket from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Front-Sprocket

However, I recommend the PBI/Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets. You can order the PBI sprockets directly from PBI, in Oregon.

http://shop.pbisprockets.com/product...&categoryId=21

You can order the Moose Racing, XR650R sprockets from Motorcycle Superstore.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...50R-Parts.aspx

It appears to me PBI manufactures these sprockets for Moose Racing.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #53635
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
Hey, DC.

From Rocky Mountain ATV:
Primary Drive Front Sprocket 14 Tooth - 2002 Honda XR650R
$8.99
PLATE, FIXING (Honda Code 2917359)
$8.14

From Motorcycle Superstore:
Moose Racing 520 Front Countershaft Sprocket
Color- Steel, Size- 14
SKU#145865 In Stock $20.95

I had to order from 2 different shops--what a pain. Anyway, that's what I did. Sorry, if I had thought about it I would have ordered 2 sets, and just mailed you a set. Forgot to use the noggin...

PD
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #53636
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You can order the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprocket from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

It appears to me PBI manufactures these sprockets for Moose Racing.

Spud
Jeeez, Spud

I can't even cut & paste fast enough before you beat me to the punch.

Thanks for the good work; we all rely on you. You are like a fireman working 24 hour shifts.

PD
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #53637
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Have someone in the states throw it on their order when they get free shipping and then ship it to you via first class mail to Canada.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #53638
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

I needed to trim the throttle tube so I could fit my Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips.

Download the supplemental, installation instructions at the Rocky Mountain ATV website. These instructions explain how to reinforce the wires on the throttle tube so they won't fail.

http://rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/G...0Throttles.pdf

I installed a single layer of 1-inch shrink tubing on the left handgrip before I installed the grip heaters. The single layer of shrink tubing works well as insulation. However, I think two layers might work even better.

Spud
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #53639
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Does somebody know a good, fairly low profile, LED blinker? I ordered some cheap ones from ebay and they are CHEAP! The wires are about 32 gauge and they pull out of the body easily. I don't mind paying if they are bright and tough.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #53640
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Jeeez, Spud

I can't even cut & paste fast enough before you beat me to the punch...

PD
I'm sorry, PD. If I knew you were racing to answer the question, I would not have responded.

Spud