Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #4051
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,066
The early model 07/08 had some issues with the rollers not many , I know of 3or 4 all 08 models
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #4052
Hrspwr Hero
wipe off 50 or.....

Oddometer: 74
The roller bearing feels fine to me. Just looks like a crap roller.
Anyone sell an aftermarket one? Maybe I should just get the evo cam to replace the existing one
Hrspwr Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #4053
D-Rally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Accessories

Looking at wiring a usb port into the accessories behind the headlight. Anyone done it before? Is it a big Job or is there any instructions online on how to do it?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #4054
Eagle`02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rally View Post
Looking at wiring a usb port into the accessories behind the headlight. Anyone done it before? Is it a big Job or is there any instructions online on how to do it?
Easy as Dave,,
I did mine the other day to hardwire the 60csx to the acc lead.
They have acc1 and acc2 on them uually, mine are a beige yellowy colour (2010 R)

Good Luck
Eagle`02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #4055
live4daride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
In regards to the problem with the rollers, I remember years ago talking to David Butler, then at Butler M/C's in Lithgow, at the time he was racing Ducatis and stated that he was constantly having problems with what I think was a 998, top end, and regularily changed the cams and followers, until he started using Repsol oil, then he never had a problem again.
Has anyone looked into the problem bikes and what oil the were using?
live4daride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #4056
D-Rally
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle`02 View Post
Easy as Dave,,
I did mine the other day to hardwire the 60csx to the acc lead.
They have acc1 and acc2 on them uually, mine are a beige yellowy colour (2010 R)

Good Luck
Hey Eags, what brand power port did you use and did you use acc1 or acc2?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #4057
-KATO-
'690R'

Oddometer: 859
Thumb go for it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928
Great looking machine, enjoy your new shiny KTM. I tried catching the old dingo on one during the sunny coast ride. It was a great bike, the only thing faster was KATO on his well worn and amazingly sideways in 4th 690.

-KATO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #4058
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
I fitted a ciggy lighter type power outlet from ACC 1 or 2 (the switched one) and use a twin port 2amp usb insert for connecting usb stuff. So can still use the outlet for air pump and other stuff.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #4059
Eagle`02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Hey Eags, what brand power port did you use and did you use acc1 or acc2?
Doesn`t matter which Acc circuit. My labels are well worn off anyway ,,,,
I just hardwired my GPS lead straight in, no port. I had a Garmin lead from my old unit and the 60 I got from you came with one, so I sacrificed the old one

I was going to get the Taplite USB weatherproof unit from ADVMOTO but ran out of time, they are good and well sealed.

Good Luck
Eagle`02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #4060
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrspwr Hero View Post
So my 690 is up for its 7500km service. So I pulled it apart to do valve clearance and other maintenance only to be presented with this. Wtf??? This bike gets pampered with oil changes etc. It would not have gone another 500-1000km before a full blown melt down. Not to mention the pitted cam. Off to see if ktm will foot the bill even though its outta warranty. You can't tell me this is acceptable. What if you we're half way thru a 5000km ride?? Kaboom

Not good at all..

I have never heard of that happening to any other 690's, hopefully KTM help you out with this.
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #4061
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Not good at all..

I have never heard of that happening to any other 690's, hopefully KTM help you out with this.
mine started to go but the mechanic found it while doing a service before it was to late and fixed under warranty - bit about it on the wunderfest thread.
While im hear my rear wheel bearing went on the weekend farked everything back there, hub, caliper, rotor , bikes under a year old , so I would be checking if I were you guys - If ya didn't love em youd hate em '-}
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:01 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #4062
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Not good at all..

There have been a number of people reporting pitted lifter buckets and some reports of failed roller bearings on the followers but I don't think I have seen any cases of broken or damaged rollers.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #4063
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,848
In regards to the problem with the rollers, I remember years ago talking to David Butler, then at Butler M/C's in Lithgow, at the time he was racing Ducatis and stated that he was constantly having problems with what I think was a 998, top end, and regularily changed the cams and followers, until he started using Repsol oil, then he never had a problem again.
Has anyone looked into the problem bikes and what oil the were using?[/QUOTE]

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #4064
D-Rally
Adventurer

safari tank.

OK so afternoon before the first "big" ride on the 690 and I fill up the Safari tank and the standard tank.

Problem. The safari tank keeps feeding fuel up into the standard tank and pushing it out the over flow hose on the rally raid cap.

I turned the tap off on the Safari tank and this has stopped the vacuum as such. But when I turn the tap back on again, it's the same old problem. Just for the record I filled the Safari tank first and then the standard tank after. I'm thinking I should have done it the other way round. Anyone else had this problem or have a solution?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #4065
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
OK so afternoon before the first "big" ride on the 690 and I fill up the Safari tank and the standard tank.

Problem. The safari tank keeps feeding fuel up into the standard tank and pushing it out the over flow hose on the rally raid cap.

I turned the tap off on the Safari tank and this has stopped the vacuum as such. But when I turn the tap back on again, it's the same old problem. Just for the record I filled the Safari tank first and then the standard tank after. I'm thinking I should have done it the other way round. Anyone else had this problem or have a solution?
Did you miss the suggestion in the instruction manual not to open the tap on the Safari tank until you had traveled about 100 kilometers. If you have the tap open from the start it will do just what it has done.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote