Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzeb View Post
Thanks guys for shedding some light on the matter, now I'm really confused
no not really, but I have come to a new conclusion
KTM 530 EXC with the SXS 570 kit would be more than able to do the trick for me.
I might paint it blue though... and some yellow here and there
Well, no one has mentioned it here, but just in case you haven't already seen these threads:

I have 2011 FE570. Love it. Maintenance-wise, I've had none of the common issues. Mine came with the "hard to get" subframe fuel tank (an extra gallon+ of gas). My biggest reason for getting it - street legal in CA.

I *did* recently have a hard-start issue, but I replace my injector and added an inline fuel filter and it's been golden since.

If I had to do it over - I'd probably go KTM, simply because of the aftermarket support.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
If I had to do it over - I'd probably go KTM, simply because of the aftermarket support.
Except for the fuel tank situation - which is solve-able albeit not cheaply - what aftermarket parts are you missing that you could get for a KTM?

Can't really think of anything and I am a sucker for aftermarket bling...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goat View Post
It will be interesting to see what KTM does with Berg now that KTM has acquired Husky.
Interesting about the Berg cam. Most inmates at ktmtalk recommend the 2011 berg cam for the 08-11 530. It supposedly makes it easier to start.
Can you cite a post link about putting a berg cam in the ktm, I can't find anything on it? I have an 08 530EXC I just picked up and was going to do the normal 09/10 cam 78636010033 update but I see the 11 cam has a different part# 8173601013 and a substantial price increase which also supersedes the 2010 cam as well. Anyone know if the 2011 cam specs are better than the 09 version?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #19
kzeb OP
motomaniac

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I have a 530 and a 570. If you have a problem, pray you own the 530. I have my 530 stripped down to fit a 570 kit and cam. I'm waiting for parts but it took under an hour to strip the tank, rads, hoses, carb, head, cam, cylinder.
-Navin
Any chance we will se a write up on that conversion,
both the how and the result, now that would be great !

or someone allready have a link to such thread....

It would be great to know more about the auto decompressing unit, or rather how to solve it permanently
if it's possible

A conversion to single sump is supposedly possible anyone found any good info of that

geez... all thoose questions

KTM 690 Enduro R -11------> ...Gone
kzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,766
Quote:
Ok sorry about that peace ?

What I'm looking for is more of a discussion regarding the differencies of the two engines.
I've read alot about the Berg from inmates like Lost Rider, Lucas among others,
but I have not found the same storys about the 530.
Due to that I jumped to conclusions that the 530 isn't quite capable of the same, but please prove me wrong,
I dont mind.
The least I want is some pissing contest KTM vs Husaberg that would be pretty uninteresting.

Cheers
You will find that Husaberg owners rave about their bikes,but then KTM owners will rave about their bikes. I bet either engine would run about the same amount of hours given the same proper maintenance and not holding the throttle wide open all day as in a Rally.
The thing is,they dont make the 570 any more and there is a ton more aftermarket support for any KTM.

Ive got a 2011 carbed 530 and like the carb just fine,easily jetted and tuned to run really strong,no re-mapping,no tiny fuel filters to deal with,no fuel pump worries in the middle of BFE,no dirty injectors to try to clean out.
I know FI is here and many ADV'ers cant ride with out it,but mine runs just fine with good snap to it.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
-Navin

It would be great to know more about the auto decompressing unit, or rather how to solve it permanently
if it's possible

A conversion to single sump is supposedly possible anyone found any good info of that

Auto de-compressing unit? What goes wrong with those?

The dual sump seems to work just swimmingly on most of these bikes,I dont give it a thought.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goat View Post
I have never had one bit of trouble with either the 525 or 530. Regular maintenance on the bike is quick. There are riders who have had trouble with the crank oil weeping to the trans side.
My son and I use them for mainly DSing, getting in and out of trouble.
The 530 is way more capable than I am. You can also install a 570 piston in the 530 for under a grand.
I was lusting after the Husaberg for a couple of seasons, but when the boiling fuel problems, or fuel lock,and the fuel pump issues arose, i looked the other way. No kick start on the Berg either.
I personally would rather have a well sorted injection system than a carb.

If you are planning to climb Mount Everest on a bike, I would choose the Husaberg.
What do you rid now? Where do you ride?
That all makes sense,Ive been out riding in Nevada and had the fuel either boil or get close to it,I understand a fuel pump doesnt work well at that point,high perf singles make heat at slow speeds,no way around it,all that heat radiates up under the tank. FI is challenged on dirt bikes where as on an everyday vehicle it just goes right along. Then the tiniest amount of silt in the fuel can bring FI to a stop.
Heat/Dirt...they happen often with dirtbikes. Some how my 530 runs great at sea level,and goes up to 8500 and higher still running good,these fancy new carbs have a lot of development time in them.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Can you cite a post link about putting a berg cam in the ktm, I can't find anything on it? I have an 08 530EXC I just picked up and was going to do the normal 09/10 cam 78636010033 update but I see the 11 cam has a different part# 8173601013 and a substantial price increase which also supersedes the 2010 cam as well. Anyone know if the 2011 cam specs are better than the 09 version?
Quote From DJH on KTMTALK "It is basically the piston cylinder of a 570 Huseberg and yes they run super, I would recomend the 570 cam as is has the ADC advanced 10 degrees for easier starting. (Note this cam came in the 530s in 2011) so if your 530 is an 08-10 budjet a cam or the starter will struggle to turn the engine over"

Taken from this thread: http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=466773

I have a 2010 cam in my 530, with no starting issues. I think he is suggesting the 2011 cam with the 570 or 610 conversion.

G Goat screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:32 AM Reason: added last sentence
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
-Navin

if it's possible

The link I posted above will give some info regarding the 570 conversion. You mentioned the KTM 570SX conversion in you PM.
I believe you need to split the case open doing the KTM unit, but not so with the Thumper Racing 570. Thumper Racing also is the only guy I am aware of to do the single sump conversion. I have not done it on my bike.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
-Navin

if it's possible

I stole the posts recommended to me for top end rebuild in the big 530 thread. It is super simple to rebuild. I'll try to link the posts with the good links. On my 570 cam it just wasn't working, dealer credited it to a weak spring. These things are fragile and work on a wing & a prayer. My 09 530 never had a starting problem with the stock cam, a later style might be better but I never felt the starter was laboring at all.

I'll post my results in the 530 thread, just adding the 41mm carb was a big difference, I expect it to be as barky as the Burg or more so after the build.

I love the split oil sumps, I upgraded to the latest O rings and minor bits in Hodakaguy's thread just to prevent ever having a problem. My trans oil is ATF and comes out clear red with few impurities. The engine oil is never full of specks of metal like my 525 and 520 were. Good luck prying all the details out of the engine builders on this sump mod. You can find the cut away you need to make but the venting requires more mods. I'll avoid it till I need a crank, if that day ever comes.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
kzeb OP
motomaniac

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Auto de-compressing unit? What goes wrong with those?

The dual sump seems to work just swimmingly on most of these bikes,I dont give it a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
When the A/D works, it is fine. KTM and Husky have had A/D problems for a few years. The 08s had the A/D reversed and totally useless. If you get one in your hand you can see how fragile they are, the spring is the thinnest wire I've ever seen .
Maybe I am getting this wrong, ehh....

KTM 690 Enduro R -11------> ...Gone
kzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #27
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
530 thread here, http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...27969&page=257

Hit these posts for top end directions,

Start with posts 637, 662 and 663. Good pics and description.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,410
I put 150 hrs on a 570 with no show stopping problems.

570 good points.
Better (like way better) electrics. Stronger battery, rectifier, relays on everything. Just better all around.

More power.

Combined motor and transmission oil. Plus a sump. It's a way better setup than the KTM.

Negatives:

Hard to get aftermarket parts for, i.e. fuel tank, rear rack.
Runs hotter. Heat is captured between the motor and the sub frame.

I owned a KTM 530 for a couple months. Even though the valves were set correctly. That bike was a killer to start when warm. It stranded me in the middle of no where a few times.

The berg started and ran all the time. Besides there are really nice 570 on CL and the flea market for 6500 to 7500. That is a good price.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Interesting thread, glad I've been able to help in a round about way for making your decision harder.

I've never owned a KTM so I won't speculate as to it's long haul adventuring motor's reliability, but I will share a few highlights of why I'm very happy with the Husa 70.

In less than a year I've put over 13,000 miles with 310 hours on the motor, never had any issues that weren't user caused. I obviously spent a fair amount of time moving fast to get that many miles in such short amount of hours, lots of highway miles and many more gravel road miles, I like to change scenery in single rides, camp in a different place each night and not involved a 4 wheeled vehicle most of the time.
With that, my valves are still in spec after the original break in service, all I've done is change the oil, sometimes putting 2800+ miles between an oil change due to do inability to change the oil where I was at the time. (Baja, TAT, etc) I've had all of my high mile oil analyzed and have yet to have any disturbing reports, running Motorex 4T Power Synth. Most of those reports are posted in the Husa Traveler thread.
The ride that sicks out as the most punishing was 2000 miles riding to and then the western part of the TAT, then due to sudden work coming up I rode 850 miles in a single day, all at interstate speeds back to LA from Oregon, on already old oil.... brutal on the motor. Similar experience when I rode to Baja, then pre-ran the 1000 course, then rode it back rom LaPaz, that last 600 miles of so being interstate.

No issues, and the oil analysis from BlackStone Labs came back obviously worn but still providing adequate lubrication. No red flags.

The user caused issues have been:

I've had a clogged injector, caused by me being sloppy and not following instructions to use wash caps on the fuel quick release lines. I also had removed the new and improved factory fuel filter that located just before the injector while trouble shooting a starting issue that turned out to be a loose battery terminal. It was clogged by introducing dirt into the system via quick release while not have the OEM filter in place. Since then I have put the OEM filter back in line and added a Profill filter on the fuel pump and have had zero issues with any other fuel related things. It's best to just leave it alone.

I stripped the splines on the counter shaft, most likely from being stupid enough to not invest in a cush hub and riding the bike pretty hard on pavement, or too tight of chain, or other things I did to the bike.
When the engine recently was apart, they replaced the piston rings that did show some wear, not enough to necessarily need to be replaced soon, but with how I rack up the miles quickly it was wise to replace them while in there already. Everything else in the motor was normal, and solid.
I then had a rocker arm seize to the shaft due to a blockage of an oil gallery from case sealant from when the motor was put back together after replacing counter shaft.
The bike is all fixed now and going strong, and with a cush hub I expect many more trouble free miles from the Husa.

For me, the FI 70 motor is proving to be just perfect for my Adventures, getting 50+mpg on then highway(@70) slightly less on gravel roads, and still great milage on tight single track trails. Consistent running at any elevation, in any temperatures. With the Safari front tank I can squeeze 200 miles when need be, and sometime carry a MSR bag clipped to my backpack to get even further out there and Lost. I can stretch the oil changes out when need be and drone along an interstate all day without worrying about blowing the motor, or needing to doing major maintenance when I get home. I run 14/45 gearing most of the time.

I have replaced the cam chain tensioner with a Dirt Tricks one.

I can run heated jacket, heated grips, have 55W HID and additional LED lights with all the electrical power it makes OEM, it rides as good on the highway as it does on the trail with a super smooth motor, it is low maintenance, lightweight, powerful and has been very reliable.

Jimmy Lewis told me last year while in DV that he had 500 (woods trail) hours on his Husa and after a tear down inspection nothing needed to be replaced.

It's too bad they don't make them anymore, the word is really getting out as more and more people rack up the hours or miles about how good these motors are for the long haul, glad I have mine and wont be yearning for another ADV bike for quite a while.

Good luck with your decision.

And a favorite Husa photo of mine, since I tend to like sharing visuals.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 11:36 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

The 570 husaberg also has the best located air filter, up high for water crossings.